Scheduled TAH walk with catheter? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

walk with catheter? walk with catheter?

Unread 07-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Re: walk with catheter?

My surgery was over at about 1:00pm. (TAH) They took my cath out the next morning and I didn't walk until after they had it out. I did have the blow-up compression socks, even after I started walking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2010, 03:45 PM

my surgery was at 7:30am on wednesday, i woke up with a cath....they did not remove it until the next morning, i got up and went to the bathroom pretty quickly there after...and they had me take a walk a few hours later....

I had these inflatable things on my legs to prevent blood clots, they took them off when i got out of bed, and put them on when I got back in....

They had me roll on one side and then the other, propped with pillows of course, to help get gas moving and such....it hurt, but not so terribly, and my pain management was really good....

The first time you get up you just take it nice and slow...i raised the head of the hospital bed and lowered the foot, and swung my legs over, then rolled up from my side to sitting....they usually have you sit for a bit in case you are dizzy, then i stood up real easy and made sure I had my feet under me...hubby on one side, nurse on the other...and shuffled to the bathroom....then. afterward, collapsed into the bed!

They really do want you up and moving gently the next day if you can...it is good for your body, to get gas moving and to help prevent blood clots and such....i walked twice the second day, and 3 times the third day....by the third day I was walking with my hubby there in case I needed him, but moving on my own.....

At home, they told me to get up and take short walks in the house every 2 hours or so....
Unread 07-26-2010, 02:43 AM

I woke up from surgery with a catheter and I was surprised I couldn't even tell it was there. The next day they tell you to get up and walk. You have to walk while wheeling around your iv stand to which the nurse attaches your urine bag. I felt really embarrassed having my pee on display for everyone to see but then I realized they see way worse all day long every day. They took my catheter out the second day, which to my surprise didn't hurt at all. I too had those compression stockings and I loved them! All my friends tried them on too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2010, 07:01 AM

I had a TAH/LSO on a Wednesday morning - surgery began at 7:30am. They removed the catheter around 5 am the next morning and with the help of the nurse I walked a few steps to the bathroom to go on my own. They had me walk a little way down the hall several hours later.

They kept the compression on my legs until the first time I got up. Then they wanted me to walk for circulation since I was able to. Of course it was a very very slow walk and not very far at first.
Unread 07-26-2010, 12:36 PM

This whole thread was really helpful - just had my pre admin testing today and when they said I would have the cath until the next day and would not be able to get out of bed I kind of freaked....Thanks to everyone who takes the time to come on line and share their experiences
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:36 AM

I had a catheter for 12 days due to my uterus and bladder attached. I had to walk with it but make sure if they make you keep it and walk you let them know right away with any pain. I had terrible bladder spasms and even now I am on an overactive bladder pill for the spasms. I was walking like a champ in the hospital. Next day I got up and took a shower and walked a few times..
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:48 AM

you will be thankful for a day where you can not get up...i sure was!
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:54 AM

My surgery was on July 8th at 9am I was in my room by 1230am, I Knew I was going to have trouble with urinating after my catheter was removed due to previous experience. So I got up that night around 1245sm and moved around the room, and the catheter was removed at 6am. My Dr. said he would have the catheter removed as soon as I could walk to the bathroom.
Unread 08-13-2010, 08:27 PM

I was glad to read this thread. I am scheduled for TAH on Aug 31 and I have to admit I am more worried about a catheter than anything! I can make myself hurt if I think about it too long. I am very worried about it. I'm sure I sound crazy. I have never been in the hospital since the day I was born and have never been the one to undergo anything like this. I am very, very concerned I am going to feel the catheter. You'd think I'd be more concerned with being cut open, but no. A tube up my urethra scares the heck out of me!
Unread 08-14-2010, 12:07 PM

I had a dvh, so I'm assuming that I was up walking around much earlier than those with the TAH (within about four hours of getting to my room). I still had the catheter and it really didn't bother me other than having to drag the silly collection bag around the hallways attached to my IV stand.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register