Do they fill your abdomin with gas during a Hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do they fill your abdomin with gas during a Hysterectomy? Do they fill your abdomin with gas during a Hysterectomy?

Unread 10-27-2005, 08:56 AM
Do they fill your abdomin with gas during a Hysterectomy?

I had a laproscopy and hysterscopy with a D-n-C and after the surgery they let me leave the hospital before using the bathroom. They fill your abdomin with a gas that helps to move other organs out of the way so they can see. I had the most awfull experience. A few hours after the surgery i needed to use the bathroom and I could not go. It became so painful that I ended up in the ER and eventually they sent me home...with a cathider. It was miserable. Then the nurse the next day told me how to take it out. Besides being in pain from the surgery the whole cathider experience was really no fun. I guess that the gas they use in surgery puts everything to sleep and I guess that everything in me had a hard time waking up again. Is this something to be concered about for my hysterectomy? I guess I should ask my doc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2005, 09:06 AM

They don't fill your abdomen with gas for an abdominal hysterectomy, but I believe they do for a vaginal or lap aided vaginal. I could be wrong (but I don't believe so) and, if I am, someone will surely tell you truth.

I can sympathize with you about that gas. I, too, had it for a tubal ligation several years ago. It was so painful while my system expelled that gas.

You should absolutely discuss any concerns you have with your doctor .. even if for your own peace of mind .. peace of mind is huge when dealing with these issues.
Unread 10-27-2005, 10:49 AM

I had a Laparoscopic Hyst 5 1/2 weeks ago. This is my understanding of what went on--for that procedure they fill the abdomen with gas so they can 'see what they are doing". Then they try to get most of it out by filling the area with saline solution. I still had some gas pains and had alot of extra fluid in me that night (8 lbs!).

After reading your post again I wonder if you meant the sleeping gas they give? I know that stuff does put your insides to sleep. It seems everyone reacts differently to it.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2005, 11:17 AM

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Yuck! That's just great! 8 pounds of extra fluid! I don't need that,( I'm trying to downsize.) I also heard that they fill your abdomen with gas. OHHHHHHH I feel for all of you, and me.
Unread 10-27-2005, 11:23 AM

So, I guess I can stop doing all the abdominal crunches if they're blow me up anyways! It won't even show!
Unread 10-27-2005, 12:46 PM

Definitely keep doing your crunches. You'll be glad later. Within a few days the super puffy feeling went away. Ithink my weight was back to normal by 1 week post op.

The swelly belly remains but I'm in my fifth week and it has gone down a smidge. At this point it is a touch smaller than pre surgery due to the large fibroids. Why oh why did I live that way so long?

This site was very helpful to me in the 3 months prior to my surgery. Hope it helps both of you, too.
Unread 10-27-2005, 01:21 PM

kbirds...That's good, one week bloat...I think I can handle that. How bad is your swelly belly? Can you wear your pants? Is that from the cutting that was done inside? Is it swelling? What type did you have? Is a laproscopic hyst like a tvh?
Unread 10-27-2005, 01:35 PM

Cdallas.

OMG.. I had a cathedar for 3 1/2 weeks so I know it is no fun.. But, praise God, my bladder is back in full swing again.. And at 6 weeks post op I was still having the gas pain issue, I swear my doctor made me take 10 gallons of milk of magnesia trying to tell me I was constipated, finally I said NO MORE.. And a week later the gas was gone...
Unread 10-27-2005, 01:42 PM

I believe gas is used only for laproscopic hysterectomies. They fill your belly with gas to make more room for the doctor to see the area being worked on.

For abdominal hysterectomies, there's no need for gas because since you are cut open, they can see fine. But your intestines are moved around for this surgery, so you will have some discomfort from them having been manipulated.

For vaginal hysterectomies, there is no need for gas because they are mostly working inside your vagina, not your abdomine. Also your intestines aren't manipulated, so this hysterectomy causes the least discomfort for your intestines. However, you will still probably experience the usual constipation/gas that comes from taking pain medicine.
Unread 10-27-2005, 03:47 PM

As the other (((sisters))) said, they won't fill your abdomen with gas. I have to admit, though -- it felt like they did (at times anyway).

I suppose it's possible that they might fill you with gas for your procedure, though. You might want to check just for your own peace of mind.

to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register