Does anyone have any answers?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does anyone have any answers?? Does anyone have any answers??

Unread 09-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Does anyone have any answers??

Hello all!

I posted this messege in the introduction area and another member suggested that I post it here. Can anyone give me some advice? I am completely confused.

My name is Michelle and I am 32 years old. I have a son that will be 12 in December. I was told about this sight from my mother-in-law from my first marriage.

My problems include not having a menstrual cycle for almost 3 years. I have been told by numerous doctors that this is ok and that I am one of the "lucky ones." I had one of my ovaries taken out when I had a tubal back in 1994 because of cysts on it. I now have an enlarged ovary with multiple cysts on it. I have also been told that this is ok. I have started having very painful cramps for about 2 months now and the doctors says that isn't a problem and the pain isn't that bad. I also had a pap four months ago and the results came back abnormal. I had blood work done and they say that is normal.

I have been to four doctors and they don't seem to think anything is wrong. The doctors just keep wanting me to take Provera which isn't making me have a cycle and it gives me bad side effects.

I went to the doctor the other day and I said I wanted a hysterectomy and she said no because I am at a high risk because of having a c-section back in 1992 with my son and because of my weight. I keep gaining weight like you wouldn't believe even though I watch what I eat and eat low fat. The doctors suggestion was to go to Weight Wachers.

Can anyone help me? I do not know what to do and the pain isn't getting any better. I also think that not having a cycle for so long can have bad long term effects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2004, 10:35 PM

Hi Michelle,
I have had underactive thyroid for 16 years and some of the symptoms are weight gain, heavy periods ,tiredness, have you had it checked? Also abnormal pap test shouldn't be ignored unfortunately Dr don't always do best for us ,so seek another opinion . I saw dr for 4 years and she let my ovarian probs go untreated it was only by luck I changed GP and whilst doing my history he questioned why my symptoms left untreated. He has probably saved my life so get the answers Your worth it !!!
Wendygai

TAH/BSO 9/10/04
Unread 09-30-2004, 07:08 AM

Yes I have had my thyroid checked. The doctor says that it is fine. But then again I have never been given any numbers and ranges to see where I fall for the results. I will have to get the actual printout from the blood work I guess to see for myself. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2004, 10:01 AM

I would suggest finding an endocrinologist. It sounds like some of your symptoms suggest something that could go beyond a gynecological problem. A good workup of all of your levels of your thyroid, pituitary and ovaries will help to narrow down what has caused your weight gain and lack of periods.

Not menstruating for more than six months is not normal and a doctor should not call you "lucky" for that.

Since the provera didn't work, it sounds like your problem is not purely an estrogen/progesterone balance issue. I would definitely talk to your doctor about discontinuing it. Do you have any other symptoms of early menopause, such as hot flashes? Has your doctor done any sort of bone density check? Did they check your estrogen levels before the provera experiment? Do you have any discharge from your breasts?

I don't honestly think that a hysterectomy would solve any of these problems, your lack of a period is only a symptom of something else.

The doctor is right about losing weight, but assuming that your problem is all in your diet might be a bit shortsighted on his part (though overeating is the most common cause). You might want to look into Weight Watchers and start a moderate exercise program in the meantime (exercise really helps to relieve stress, and I know this must be very stressful for you).

Take care.
Unread 09-30-2004, 10:26 AM

There is an over-the-counter test to see whether you're going into menopause (called Estroven). It measures FSH -- follicle stimulating hormone. Might be something you could try.
Unread 09-30-2004, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I have had numerous workups for the thyroid, oituitary and ovaries and the doctor says they are all normal just like they say that my hormone levels are normal.

I do have hot flashes but I have been told I am too young for menopause. There isn't any breast discharge.

I do exercise it is not like I sit around and eat food all day. I eat low fat meals, cut calories and exercise but I still am gaining weight.

Still very confused.
Unread 10-01-2004, 07:57 AM

Has anyone suggested PCOS to you? You have several symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome--inability to lose weight, ovarian cysts, pain, no periods.....Look it up and find the other symptoms, see if you have any of them; but you have some of the major ones already.
Unread 10-01-2004, 11:57 AM

Yes, I have thought about PCOS. I have read some articles on it and I do have those symptoms but the doctors don't say that I have it. From what I have read there doesn't seem to be much that can be done about it. Is his correct or is there some treatment? Help with this would be a great way to start. Any suggestions on what I could recommend to the doctor?
Unread 10-01-2004, 02:01 PM

I actually know very little about PCOS, but I do know that a negative (or normal) test doesn't necessarily mean that you are fine, or that you don't have PCOS. I don't know what the potential treatments are, but first suggest this to your doctor and see if he can give you a definitive diagnosis. Try finding a PCOS support group and ask around about others' experience with this. Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register