don't know what to do | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

don't know what to do don't know what to do

Unread 06-15-2004, 07:21 PM
don't know what to do

I am having a hard time my doctor does not want to do a hysterectomy, I have polups on my uteus again this will make the third time to have them removed i am 49 yrs old post menopause since age 47. I also have fibriods tumors small they say and bleeding and I also have a enlarged uterus. and i do not understand why the doctor does not want to do a hysterectomy, he just want to go in and cut them out again. i am tired all the time and he said that did not have to do with anything. Another Doctor i went to for a second app. he said he would do the hysterectomy. I just don't know what to do.
Thanks
Carolyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2004, 07:41 PM
don't know what to do

What you want is what matters the most. If it's a hysterectomy tell your doctor if he still refuses ask why. If you still want it done change doctors. My doctor told me it was my choice to make and whatever I chose he would stand by me because it's my body.
Unread 06-15-2004, 07:44 PM
don't know what to do

Dear Carolyn,

That sounds very hard. Are you committed to this doctor? Perhaps you need one that will listen to you. It is your body. I hope you get what you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2004, 08:24 PM
don't know what to do

Carolyn,

I agree. A 2nd opinion was a good idea.

You are a good age for a hyst and you have had previous gyneo problems. I wonder what your Dr's apprehension is??

I agree with swatangel. You might want to ask him straight out why??

Maybe he is more trained in preventive type procedures then actual hysts.
Unread 06-15-2004, 10:18 PM
don't know what to do

Quote:
Maybe he is more trained in preventive type procedures then actual hysts.
I wish there were more DRs who were. Unfortunately, too many DRs these days are of the mind, "you don't really need that, let's cut it out".

The trouble is, a hysterectomy is major surgery, and it comes with all the risks attendant to any major surgery. I think DRs should be trying to spare us having to take those risks. While it's true that many women have hysterectomies and do just fine, some have life threatening, life altering or occasionally even life ending complications. The odds of those things are small, but not zero... so imho, we should not incur those risks unless a hysterectomy is truly our only option.

In addition, a hysterectomy involves the removal of a major organ which your body has considered part of its normal functioning all your life. Even with all the research that's been done, I don't think we understand completely the role of the uterus in our physiology. It can have a role in sexual response (both in terms of the light contractions that can occur during orgasm and also the feeling of congestion that is part of arousal when blood flow through the uterine vessels increases) and, assuming prolapse isn't already an issue, can be a key element in maintaining the structure of the pelvic floor. This article from our Resource Links directory explains these roles in more detail:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...n=jump&lid=560

Have you considered seeing another DR and asking about the latest alternative treatments for fibroids? Remember that new techniques are being developed every day; if your situation is not life threatening, I would urge you to take your time and explore every alternative before resorting to a hysterectomy. Just yesterday this appeared on ABC News' Good Morning America:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scite...roidRobot.html

Also, you mentioned that you are postmenopausal and tired all the time. Are you on HRT, and if so, was that HRT chosen with the idea in mind that you'd want to avoid using anything that might encourage the growth of fibroids? If not, that might explain why you are tired... low hormone levels can take a toll on us.

There is tons of great information on fibroids and alternative treatments, as well as the hysterectomy surgery options, in our Resource Links directory. To get there, just click on Resources at the top of this page. Taking time to explore all possibilities will also enable you to have an informed conversation with your DRs about what your options are.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
s,
-Linda
Unread 06-15-2004, 10:20 PM
don't know what to do

Not all docs are "good guys" (or gals). If this one is not doing a good job for you, fire him and find someone who listens and explains their professional opinion to you so that you are comfortable with it. It's what you are paying him for. Your instincts are right...
Unread 06-15-2004, 10:48 PM
don't know what to do

Carolyn,

It sounds like you want to have one procedure more and be done with it instead of continuing to have "preventive" type surgeries that in the long run don't prevent.

Something to talk your Dr. about.

Good Luck!!
Unread 06-15-2004, 11:53 PM
don't know what to do

Don't be a me and have so many minor procedures that the inevitable outcome (hyst) is endangered.

Questions I ask my docs and myself were...

Is this minor procedure going to stop the problem?

Is there anything I haven't tried that will stop the problem for good?

Am I just delaying the inevitable?

Wouldn't it be better to have the whole thing over with now rather than waiting for some horendous event or until my health is so poor that the surgery is even more dangerous?

These are questions I asked myself. I can not answer for you but for me there was no easy answer. If I had just had endo an ablation may have cured it. If I had just had PSOD removing my last ovary may have cured it but I have both and I have already had 9 surgeries which has left scar tissue camplicating my procedure now.

I too had to find the right doctor I clicked with and who understood me. I hit the jackpot with mine he is everything I want in a physician but number one he cares about me. I am not just a paycheck to him he genuinely want s to see my suffering end.

So do I.

I don't know if any of that helped but you have to do what is right for YOU and remember 50% of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of thier class /wink

Amy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register