Hysterectomy with ovaries kept for under 40's research found, whats your opinion?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy with ovaries kept for under 40's research found, whats your opinion?? Hysterectomy with ovaries kept for under 40's research found, whats your opinion??

Unread 07-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Hysterectomy with ovaries kept for under 40's research found, whats your opinion??

Hello all

While doing some more research as no-one had been able to help with with my original Fibromyalgia, hysterectomy questions. Wonder what people think of the following 2 items I have found and First one's by a Retired Professor of Yale Uni Dr. P Sarrell who says basically:

That 92% of women under 40yrs old that have a hysterectomy, will suffer symptoms of ovarian failure and hormonal deficiency within 2 years of the op. Another study done in London that said 40% suffered it within 3 years of the op, however the London results were for already menopausal women, so wasn't as relevant to me as I'm perimenopausal, not post.

2nd: A Fibromyalgia Dr said that research done showed that 60% of FMS patients included all pre/peri and post menopausal that under go a hysterectomy (ovaries kept) will have symptoms of ovarian failure and hormone issues within 6 months to 2 years of the op.

So if we are going to suffer symptoms of ovarian failure etc.. within 2 years, some much sooner, so why make us wait and see how long it is until they fail and we suffer problems? , why not just take them at same time and treat us with natural forms of HRT where its possible, especially the Fibromyalgia fighter's among us, since it is well documented that hormone problems aggravate FMS badly!!

What do others make of these results? where you under 40/pre menopausal and have your ovaries left in but since have had hot flashes, sweats etc symptoms of hormonal deficiency/ovarian failure

Or Am I missing something? is their another reason they keep your ovaries in, even if they fail do they still provide other things?

help i'm in a right puzzled mess!!

Thanks in advance for any help offered
Crystal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Hysterectomy with ovaries kept for under 40's research found, whats your opinion??

Hi Crystal!

I agree with the general belief expressed by the developers of Hystersisters.com: Keep healthy ovaries. The exception would be if your physician and you agree it would be wise to remove them, even though they are presently healthy, because of an inherited risk of ovarian cancer. There are likely other unique medical conditions where a physician would recommend removing them.

Best of luck in making the surgical decisions, in partnership with your medical provider, that turn out to be the best ones for you.

s,
Unread 07-24-2008, 05:29 PM

Hi Crystal Cavies,

I agree with what Bizet Woman said. Keep healthy ovaries if possible. The ovaries secrete important hormones that help with the bones, skin and hair..to name a few. And newer studies are showing that the ovaries secrete their important hormones well into menopause. And the hormones are free.

In the 92% group you mentioned...it sounds like it could include ladies who expereince sleeping ovaries in immediate post-op. From what I have read on Hyster Sisters, it can be very common. Sometimes the ovaries can go to sleep for awhile due to the trauma of a hyst. Generally, ladies can report having temporary hot flashes and night sweats for several weeks after their surgery.

In my case, I was 46 at the time of my hyst and I kept my ovaries. I am (4) years post-op now and my ovaries are still working great. In pre-op, my Dr. told me that he thought my worst scenario with my ovaries would be that I might start menopause a year early.

In my case also, I did (3) months of lupron shots before my hyst. Lupron causes temporary chemical menopause. I had hot flashes, night sweats and I lost interest in sex. It was a wild ride some days on lupron. From what I have read, surgical menopause can be more difficult than chemical menopause. My lupron experience also helped me in my decision to keep my ovaries. I wanted to leave them and go through natural menopause instead of surgical menopause, since I was a good candidate.

In the end?? Just do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Best wishes~

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2008, 05:51 PM

Since I'm 43 and about to make this same decision myself, I sure am interested in the anecdotal responses here. And I'll definitely be quizzing my Dr. about this!

Thank you!
Beseda
Unread 07-24-2008, 06:05 PM

Same here Beseda, I'm 43 also, 44 in a few months.

Thanks
Ruth
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:37 PM

I am 49 and my ovaries are healthy. But I recently started experiencing perimenopausal symptoms including mild hot flashes and night sweats, so I know their full use is limited. I agreed with my doctor that removing the ovaries was best. He based his decision on the American Obstetrics and Gynecological Association recommendation to take ovaries in women older then 45 and leave them in women 45 and younger.

If I were younger than 40, or even younger than 45, and I was not experiencing any perimenopause symptoms, I believe I'd opt to keep my ovaries if they were healthy.
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:43 PM

Well, personal experience from me and my mom: We both had our hysterectomies under the age of 30, we both kept our ovaries, we both have fibromyalgia. Both of us had our ovaries be a bit cranky for a bit at first but then we have been fine. My mom did not go into menopause for 20 years. I am at about eight years post op and last time we checked my FSH, I am not even close to perimenopause!

Talk to all of your doctors about you and what is best for you and your specific circumstances!

Hope that helps! s
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:56 PM

purplesnow... my dr/surgeon basically quoted the same thing about age of 45, ect. He said since I'm 43, almost 44 I'm right in there close, so suggested me having mine removed. Of course it's totally up to me..

I do have a couple cysts on the right one and some smaller ones on the left. (He said those on left could be from ovulation) but wouldn't know until he got in there.

So ever since I saw him for the first time back on 6/27 I've been trying to decide on what to do.? Still don't know..

Ruth
Unread 07-24-2008, 09:26 PM

HI ladies - I'm 53 and what i would consider perimenopausal --- I've had the night sweats quite a bit over the last few years but my gyn has made no reference to taking my ovaries in my hysterectomy. I think I would want it to happen naturally as well. As long as they are healthy they may as well stay there and do their job as long as possible.
Unread 07-24-2008, 10:52 PM

I have read a lot about the ovaries failing and my doctor said the same thing. I didn't want another surgery in the future and mine were making the hormones go up and down for years, migraines etc. Not fun. I couldn't WAIT to get rid of them. Balance is what I want.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register