Back to ballet, two weeks post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back to ballet, two weeks post-op Back to ballet, two weeks post-op

Unread 05-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Back to ballet, two weeks post-op

I had a pain complication from my LAVH with a stitch lodged in the muscle wall, which was horrible enough but my great love is ballet. I am not a great dancer but I do take 3X a week. Ironically, one of my classes is with some young girls and my GYN happens to be the mom of one of them! That made it hard to cheat and go back, but it turned out I was in so much pain it wasn't much of a temptation. However I was anxious since recitals are in 2.5 weeks.

I had my two week post op Tuesday, before ballet! I told my doctor I was going back to do the basics--stretches barre work, turns, just no jumping. She agreed--knowing I would anyway. She also gave me a shot of local to help with the pain that was still there. Everything else is healing fine but I had a harder time with this.

The upshot of it all is that Tuesday and Wednesday I went to ballet classes. Obviously I did not jump, but otherwise, ballet is low impact. I felt GREAT--not only the day I danced but the next day. Thurs. I went to clean out my office. I'm a professor and the term ended so I basically sat at my desk, shredded papers and set some things in places for when I am able to come life them. I hurt all night Thursday and up until this morning. This was the last practice before recital so I went to class. Felt great again.

Call me crazy but I think ballet (the basics) has got to be the best for healing. The slow stretches and light muscle work feels better than a hot bath. Meanwhile, two hours sitting at a desk shredding papers and doing other very light work, and I hurt. I came to an easy and very good conclusion:

I should quit my job and dance all day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Re: Back to ballet, two weeks post-op

I am shocked that it is ok with your doctor for you to go back to that so soon. Just make sure you do not twist your body. You have hundreds of stitches in there healing. Even where they cauterize really needs to heal. I was only allowed to walk for those first few weeks. Please do not hurt yourself. Best wishes to you.
Unread 05-21-2011, 10:01 PM

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't risk thousands of dollars of surgery :-) Basic ballet is some of the best exercise for the body--esp. for people with injuries, etc. The same principles are used in therapy. Really, I was trying to share a happy update. My doctor is amazing and a very successful surgeon who has been very protective of me. I trust her and I trust my body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2011, 10:08 PM

I was not trying to be negative. I just wanted to let you know to be careful of bending and twisting. Moving up and down wont be bad but you do not want to twist. I was just worried that you could hurt yourself. I didn't mean it in a bad way. I just care that you heal correctly.
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:55 PM

Wow... No need to get defensive Michelle. We here are only concerned about the well being of each other. I'm glad you are able to get back to the things u love. We all heal at different rates... Best wishes to you and may all continue to go well
Unread 05-22-2011, 12:02 AM

I think I better sign off. I have gone through this whole thing alone and I wanted someone to rejoice with me, not tell me to worry. I am a pretty smart lady who doesn't want to lay in bed more. I am regretfully signing off of Hystersisters permanently. Thanks. Good night all. I truly hope your recoveries go well.
Unread 05-22-2011, 12:07 AM

Michelle if you're not gone yet, I wanted to thank you for posting this. I too take ballet with young girls and am eager to get back to it, so I'm rejoicing with you!
Unread 05-22-2011, 12:14 AM

There is no need to leave, this site is a great sharing and coping tool. Everyone is welcome and we're only concerned that each one of us heal. Whatever works for you is just that.... It works for u and that's all that matters. Your reply came off as kinda defensive and I was merely saying that we care. We are all go thru or been thru the same thing. We're here for support only, sorry if you thought otherwise and I'm asking you not to leave the site b/c it's very helpful with some wonderful people. Sisters is what we r and you are included.
Unread 05-22-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle528 View Post
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't risk thousands of dollars of surgery :-) Basic ballet is some of the best exercise for the body--esp. for people with injuries, etc. The same principles are used in therapy. Really, I was trying to share a happy update. My doctor is amazing and a very successful surgeon who has been very protective of me. I trust her and I trust my body.
If your doctor said that it was ok, that is your decision and hers.
On the other hand, because of all of the internal stitching, I personally would NOT do it.

I realize that it is something that you obviously love doing and you miss it.
Hopefully, nothing will happen. If you experience any bleeding, head for the doctor's office or ER.
Unread 05-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Michelle,

It's great to hear that you are taking something you love (dance) and using it as a recovery tool, and with your doctor's approval. It helps that your gyn's daughter is in one of your dance classes. Thanks for sharing your good news, and keep up the good work!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register