Pre-Op yesterday. Special diet post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op yesterday. Special diet post-op? Pre-Op yesterday. Special diet post-op?

Unread 01-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Pre-Op yesterday. Special diet post-op?

I had my pre-op yesterday so now I feel a lot more calmer now that I have asked my questions and got the answers I needed.
I was told that I may be in the hospital for 1 or 2 nights, but I am hoping it will be just 1 night.
Were you put on a special diet when you were discharged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM

The pre-op is really great. I never had one when I had my first surgery and had no idea what to expect.
With my hysterectomy, it was good to have that information up front. Some of the stuff scared me though. My dr. told me this surgery is usually out the same day, I could have gone home the next morning but I have asthma and it was acting up so much, I guess from the gas they fill you up with, the pressure felt extra hard on my lungs.

If you can have a hot water bottle for your recovery, the old school ones. they are so nice, with hot water or just cold water and a few ice cubes!

Also, not sure what type of surgery you are having? But if you get incisions ( I have four ) hold your stomache when you cough, sneeze or laugh. Even just with a pillow.

I wasn't told to eat a certain way, but in the hospital they had me on a sugar-free diet.
The food in hospital was so awful, I thought I was going to die from it

Have a great day and take care, it gets so much better,
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Re: Pre-Op yesterday. Special diet post-op?

I wasn't given a specific diet, but for about two weeks I ate small, more frequent meals. I didn't seem to have the same room in my stomach as before surgery, and if I ate a bigger portion, it was pretty painful. I think just due to the inflammation and swelling in my abdomen. I craved bland, comfort foods for awhile. You've probably already seen posts about this, but try to eat/drink lots of fiber to help with post-op constipation. Gas-x was also my best friend the first week, gas pains were intense!
Good luck, you'll be healing soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Yep, fiber like oumpkin, sweet potatoes, shredded wheat, oatmeal, yogurt, get a good quality multidophilus from the health food store. Lots of fluids to help plump and move the fiber. Be prepared as mentioned before about gas pains and constipation. As soon as yiu can get moving walking little by little it helps get things moving. DO NOT STRAIN DURING BMS OR PASSING GAS. the strain causes alot more pain afterwards. Just breath through it. Lots of rest, rest, and more rest. Keep us posted on your recovery plz:-)
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:50 PM

Best advice is slow and steady, drink lots of water ( before as well ) eat lots of fibre and certainly walk walk walk. Beyond that , rest and help are needed. Don't push because your body will push back . Everyday you start to feel better and look forward to the new you . Good luck and I'm always here even just to listen!!
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM

Hi,

I wasn't given restrictions. I ate normally once I got home. Breakfast was a fried egg and toast, lunch was home made chicken soup or leftovers, dinner was anything from stuffed shells, casseroles, grilled chicken breasts, etc. I drank a lot of apple / prune juice cocktails to help keep things moving and took dulcolax every day for the first couple weeks. I didn't have major issues, but while I was on the narcotics I needed a little extra help. By the 2nd week everything was normal.

I also agree on walking - I started walking Day 5, increasing my distance every day until I got up to 3 miles a day. That was very helpful in keeping things moving.

Good luck!
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM

I was not on restrictions but i have been having stewed prunes, soup, wholewheat bread and bagels, carrots and celery, crackers, cheese, tomato. I have Greek yogurt and Dan Active, clear juice such as apple and cranberry. Tropics a has a new fruit and veg juice mix. I also bought some Stouffers frozen meals, pre sliced apple packs. Make sure it is "reachable" (no bending).
I was on my phone and ipad within a few hours after surgery but other than that also did not need much in the hospital other than my chapstick! With abdominal it is very hard to pull up pants even sweatpants so i was happier with a nightie until today (4 days) when i changed to pajamas .. Although still hard to pull up!!
A great suggestion was Werthers or other hard candy to suck after surgery (and candy for nurses). A little basket that holds meds, remote, pen, Chapstick that i have on my bedside table. Power strips all over that i don't have to reach for.
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:02 AM

Thank you to each and everyone of you for your insight and suggestions. I already eat All Bran Buds and drink lots of water, vegetable soups, etc. so fiber won't be an issue, I hope.
I have people coming to stay with me to help me out 24/7 so I am very fortunate with the extra help coming my way. I obviously won't be bending down and wiping my dogs feet when he comes in from the snow. As for walking, we have snow and freezing rain at the moment so my only option may be going on the treadmill at a very low pace, but at least I will be able to put my feet one in front of the other without fear of falling on the snow/ice.
I am happy to hear I won't be needing a restrictive diet so I can eat the same food as my caregivers.
I appreciate all the support I have received from each of you.

THANK YOU!
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:08 AM

I was also not put on any special diet, but what I really want is liquid/soft foods... I have had eggs and grits (the most solid food so far, but mostly want meal shakes (I love Spiruteen shakes! YUMMY! like drinking dessert!), and chicken broth. drinking lots.

I am personally staying away from wheat. I have been thinking about going Gluten Free for a while due to my Fibro, and think I will take this opportunity to give it a go (my DH has Celiac, so my son and I are pretty close to it anyway) I just really don't want to invoke any extra inflammation, body is dealing with enough....
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:25 AM

The biggest thing I noticed post-surgery was that I got full so very fast and anything heavy just made me nauseas. I pretty much stuck with yogurt, scrambled eggs, and lots of applesauce. In fact I ate so much applesauce that my husband was teasing me...but I like it and it keeps things moving.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register