Upcoming Hysterectomy w/diabetes and/ or sleep apnea? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming Hysterectomy w/diabetes and/ or sleep apnea? Upcoming Hysterectomy w/diabetes and/ or sleep apnea?

Unread 01-24-2015, 05:30 AM
Upcoming Hysterectomy w/diabetes and/ or sleep apnea?

Scheduled for TLH on 2/19 which may change to TAH due to huge fibroids and scar tissue. I am also a diabetic. I am concerned about mixing diabetes medication with pain medication, incision care...because I tend to heal slower and overall I AM JUST NERVOUS I guess :-) I worry about being kicked out of the hospital the same day then developing problems later. Any other diabetics? What was your experience? How about sleep apnea? Did you bring your CPAP to the hospital?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Re: Upcoming Hysterectomy w/diabetes and/ or sleep apnea?

Hi Steffnwolf -

Please make sure your doctors know about your condition on both issues. Ask about your CPAP.

I am not diabetic, but I am hypoglycemic. I made sure my surgeon and anesthesiologist knew this. Because of my condition, my anesthesiologist changed my pre-op orders and had me drinking clear juice the morning of surgery so that my blood sugar would be in better shape. She wanted me to push these fluids up to 7 AM (my surgery was at 10:30).

I know that diabetes can affect healing, but I just do not know how it will impact your healing from this surgery. We do have lots of women on this site. Hopefully one with similar experience will see this post and respond.

Unread 01-24-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffnwolf View Post
Did you bring your CPAP to the hospital?
I don't have Sleep Apnoea but my hospital forms do specify that those with the condition must bring their CPAP machines to the hospital. If you don't already have your information from your hospital and are worrying about it, then might be best to phone the hospital and ask. I would expect everything you've asked about to be addressed at your pre-op with the hospital though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2015, 06:27 AM

My pre op is with my regular Dr. 1 week before due to the diabetes. I am going to bring my CPAP for sure. I cant sleep without it. I just see so many post op sisters with those oxygen thingys after surgery. I was wondering how it would all work. Im a worry wort! :-)
Unread 01-25-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffnwolf View Post
My pre op is with my regular Dr. 1 week before due to the diabetes. I am going to bring my CPAP for sure. I cant sleep without it. I just see so many post op sisters with those oxygen thingys after surgery. I was wondering how it would all work. Im a worry wort! :-)
I'd suggest bringing the CPAP and letting the doctors and nurses figure how to make it all work. :-)

I woke up after my TAH with a nasal clip delivering extra oxygen, but it was removed shortly after I woke up. It was gone by the time I went back to sleep half an hour later. (I didn't wake up until 7:30 PM.)

So it *might* be that the anesthesiologist will want to use an oxygen mask or clip on your during surgery, but then you would use your CPAP when sleeping for the remainder of your stay. (How many nights are they quoting you?)

There *might* be a way for the anesthesiologist to turn up the pressure slightly on the oxygen mask, to mimic the effect of your CPAP. Or there *might* be a way to hook up the oxygen supply *to* your CPAP so that they can use that instead. How should I know? Or more to the point, how should you?

Bring your CPAP, make sure they know what your needs are and then let them figure it out.
Unread 01-25-2015, 01:15 PM

Thanks everyone!
Unread 01-26-2015, 06:57 AM

Hi Hun I've been a diabetic for almost 28 yrs. In the hospital they will monitor your blood sugar levels for you as well as give you your insulin/ pills when needed. You don't have to worry about that. When your home you adjust your insulin/pill according to what your eating and how much so you don't take too much if your not eating a lot. They will have a diabetic doctor that will come in to see you you can also talk to him about your concerns
Unread 01-26-2015, 07:23 AM

Thanks this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register