Post operative | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post operative Post operative

Unread 11-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Post operative

Good afternoon my sisters. I am home and feeling great. I had surgery on November 13th. What an experience. First let me say that I was not nervous at all. Previous posts I had mentioned that I had a new doctor. Well after the surgery, I fell in love with her all over again. All I can say is AWESOME. She explained play by play for me. She says that the surgery took 2 1/2 hours when it normally takes her 45 minutes. She had to take one of my ovaries because she could not stop it from bleeding and I had already lost too much blood. I donated two units, and she had to give me 1 unit. I was discharged today, and the stitches were taken out last evening. I go for my post-op check up on 11/23.

Did I say that I am in no pain? Yes. No pain. I did not use one iota of pain medication at all, but took the prescription because I don't know what may happen in a few days. I feel great.

I have been officially crowned a princess, and feel great. I am going to take it easy, because I do not want to rush anything. My doctor is the best, and my family and friends have been very supportive.

And lastly, if anyone is straddling the fence with having surgery, trust me I know that it is a huge decision, and I went thru the mental thing about my uterus being taken away. So far, I have not thought about it. Especially, after I saw the pictures. My goodness. Can not believe that I was carrying that around with me daily. My doctor said that the people in the operating room was jealous because they knew that I had immediately went down one pants size. She says that she thinks that I lost instantly at least 10-12 lbs.

God Bless you all, and this website is wonderful. Keep up the good work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Re: Post operative

I am so glad that you are doing so well. Best wishes for a great recovery!
Unread 11-16-2009, 04:03 PM

Vedean

What type of surgery did you have? I too did not have any pain, and did not need any pain medications. I only felt some discomfort but nothing where I ever needed medication for. It was great, I too was feeling great a few days after surgery. I had daVinci Robotic surgery and it was easy. I wasn't at all nervous either about the surgery, but then again they were removing my diseased organ, I have not had any adverse side affects from my surgery. Hormonally speaking, I can't even tell really that my ovaries were removed. I have to say I am a bit jealous about losing those few pounds....can't you share....LOL. I went down a few pounds too, but I haven't been eating as much as I use to either (smaller appetite). Hoping to drop a few pounds myself, need to get my exercise program going again. Thanks for sharing, its neat to hear how different people go through surgery and recovery. Hoping others who read this will be encouraged and know that we are rooting for you too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2009, 04:22 PM

I had DaVinci surgery six weeks ago today. I was not in much pain, but did take a few percocets for the first 5 days, just because I wanted to stay on top of things.

As of today, just 6 weeks post op, my life is back to normal! If not for the restrictions on intercourse still (TWO more weeks!) I would probably have forgotten that I had the surgery. Everything is back to normal - I even went for a three mile run today. I, too have lost weight - about 9#. Intitially that came off, I think, because my appetite was also decreased. I have gotten my appetite back but have been trying to make better choices and eat less.

So, I just wanted to throw in my positive experience as well. I am SO happy I had this surgery and look forward to nothing but good things ahead!
Unread 11-17-2009, 02:29 AM

What is DaVinci Surgery? It sounds great!
Unread 11-17-2009, 02:51 AM

OK so I am offically jealous I wish I could be pain free. I am at 7 weeks post op and still have pain, swelly belly, naseua, loss of appitite, insomnia, and all around feel crappy. Just thought I would share that, so that being said, I am so very happy that you feel great dont get me wrong I am very happy with the choice I made, I know that this wont last forever and that one day I will feel better, but dang it why cant that be today
Oh well my day will come. Keep on keeping on the road of feeling good.
Happy recovery
Unread 11-17-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearfulinalaska View Post
OK so I am offically jealous I wish I could be pain free. I am at 7 weeks post op and still have pain, swelly belly, naseua, loss of appitite, insomnia, and all around feel crappy. Just thought I would share that, so that being said, I am so very happy that you feel great dont get me wrong I am very happy with the choice I made, I know that this wont last forever and that one day I will feel better, but dang it why cant that be today
Oh well my day will come. Keep on keeping on the road of feeling good.
Happy recovery
Sometimes I feel really guilty when I write a post saying how GREAT I feel. I feel like I am gloating sometimes, although that is not the case at all. I know that there are many out there who are still in a lot of pain and are having a much more difficult time recovering, as well as experiencing setbacks along the way. I really am empathetic to those that are having a tougher journey on their way to feeling better. However, I do like to put a positive spin on things because there are some of us who are fortunate enough to have had a fairly easy time with this whole procedure, and I count myself among those lucky enough to feel this way. Hopefully you are feeling a bit better each day. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and once you get there, you will feel wonderful as well! You are right, keep on keeping on and hopefully soon, you, too will feel GREAT! HUGS to you!!!
Unread 11-17-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopinekmc View Post
What is DaVinci Surgery? It sounds great!
DaVinci is a laproscopic hysterectomy assisted by the DaVinci robot. My doctor recommended this method as it is the least invasive technique and patients generally recover much quicker - an average of 3 weeks rather than 6.
Unread 11-20-2009, 04:01 PM

To AprilW2222

I had a supracervical hysterectomy. You keep your cervix and your ovaries. In my case only one ovary was kept.

I hope all on the website is feeling well today. I am doing okay. I was a little concerned earlier today because I had not had a bowel movement since Sunday. I was able to take a suppository to relieve that and feel better.

It is important to take it easy and rest. Today is the first day that I actually got dressed and sat up for the majority of the day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register