Decisions to make | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Decisions to make Decisions to make

Unread 04-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Decisions to make

Greetings everyone!

About 9 months ago, I started having very heavy bleeding with large clots that make wearing a tampon difficult during my cycle. That lasts about 7 days (with a couple of days of light bleeding before and after. The only real pain I feel is when I'm passing a really large clot. I feel as if my insides are going to fall out.

About six months ago, I started having mid cycle bleeding (lighter bleeding, actually similar to my periods when they were normal!) for about 3 days.

I talked to my gyn about this during my last exam about 3 weeks ago. He scheduled an ultrasound which showed a few fibroids in and outside of my uterus. I've had problems with fibroids in the past (in fact, my last baby was partially attached to one.)

He doesn't think the fibroids are what is causing the bleeding, because they're not very large. It could be hormonal related to menopause. I'm 44 years young!

He said that I have two options. Endometrial eblation (sp?) or hysterectomy. He said it's my call- whenever I've just had it with all the bleeding (IOW, it's not an emergency.)

I've read a message board on the Endometrial eblation and it sounds like it could take a year to fix this problem (if at all.) I feel like opting for a hysterectomy, but think that woudl be overkill for something that isn't an emergency.

Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Decisions to make

i feel the same way... it is not an emergency so am i doing this for a good enough reason. i too have heavy periods lasting ten days (sometimes longer) and heavy clotting i have bad cramps... like labor pains (i have had this since i was young and i beleive that is why i could handel child birth so easily compared to other members of my family) any ways for me it is the quality of life issue i practicly can not go out of the house durring most of the ten day cycle and with two young kids i can not just run to the store really quick it takes me a while. and the sex issue is a big part for me i freak myself out before hand because what if i start to bleed again (which happens now about 50% of the time 9 months ago it was about 90%) so sometimes i think oh it is getting better and then sometimes i am just at the end of my rope and can not handel bleeding for one more day. i have decided to have a hyst in june no date yet but even though i have made that step i sometimes wonder well this is not an emergency so maybe i should wait a awhile longer. but i really don't want to get to the point that some girls are at where they bleed 24 7. i don't know it is a hard decision i totally understand your delema. i look at some of the other girls stories and think how blessed i really am. good luck with your decision
Unread 04-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Decisions to make

Here is a link to our Resources directory, where you can find lots of good info regarding your options:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/link.php?s=

And here is a link to an ablation website (with message forum): http://home.att.net/~endometrial_ablation/

Ultimately, only YOU must live with your pre-op sysmptoms AND your post-op results, good OR bad. Get smart about your symptoms and your options & make the best choice for YOU! I am sending huge cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2004, 01:46 AM
Your body--Your decision!

It sounds like this is affecting you for at least 10 days of each month (7 day periods & 3 days of mid-cycle bleeding)... That's 1/3 of your life! It really depends on how miserable that 1/3 of your life is... If you have fibroids, they can grow quite quickly. I never even knew what fibroids were until I was diagnosed last July. In July I had choices. I was scared, so I put off my decision. A week ago today I went for a "consult" to discuss hysterectomy w. my doc. He did an ultrasound because of what I told him about my symptoms. From Oct. to April my biggest fibroid grew from 6 cm. (orange) to 15 cm. (cantelope). Last July I HAD options... Now I really didn't. This thing was going to keep growing, plus I had lots of other fibroids too--all growing. I had my (TAH) hysterectomy on Monday (3 days ago). I came home yesterday. I already feel better than I've felt for weeks. I know your case may be completely different, and I'm not recommending you do as I did!!!! But I do recommend seeing your dr. --and getting a 2nd or even 3rd opinion, and don't wait like I did. Do it now while there are options! And do what is right for you and your quality of life. Think long-term, not short term...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register