on anti-depressant during TAH/BSO | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

on anti-depressant during TAH/BSO on anti-depressant during TAH/BSO

Unread 07-06-2001, 10:28 AM
on anti-depressant during TAH/BSO

Dear Sisters, PLEASE HELP, my surgery is in 3days. i take effexor 300mg. every day and will for life because i have panic disorder. My question is have anyone of you been on this type of med during your hyster . I have read that there is no drug interaction between toradol and my med and also motrin800 is safe with it also. Has anyone had PCA morphine or percoset(any pain med with codeine) with an antidepressant in their system. I have read that there is a mild risk of central nervous system (CNS) and respiratory depression effects. My psychiatrist, gynecologist, and the nurse anesthesiologist, have basically left to decide on my own whether or not to take the risk. I will be very grateful for any input on this my Dear Sisters, Love and Blessings Carol ps . so sorry for length of post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2001, 11:54 AM

Hi,

I don't know about the drug you're taking. I'm surprised, tho, that it's been left up to you about making the decision to take the risk. Do you know if you can stop it "cold turkey"? I know that some drugs should be stopped by weaning off. I take Xanax for anxiety (as needed) and was told to take it the morning of surgery. I had oxycontin and oxycodone when I came home and probably did use the Xanax occasionally.

I hope someone comes along who has some experience with your drug.

Good luck.
Unread 07-06-2001, 12:20 PM
Anti-Depressant during TAH/BSO

Hi Carol,

As of today, I am four weeks post op and have been taking Prozac before, during and after my TAH/BSO. I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with the drug you mentioned. However, I was given morphine after my op, as well as codeine containing pain meds after I went home. There was absolutely no problem.

I, too, am concerned that it has been left up to you to decide. If I were you, I'd ask my doc to explain the risks in detail and give me their opinion. I think you need some guidance. I would assume that the doc will just have to monitor you with the knowledge that you are taking the anti-depressant.

All I can do is reassure you that there was absolutely no problem with me being on an anti-depressent. I wish you all the best for your op.

Carolyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2001, 12:44 PM

Thank you so much dear sisters for your replies, I do take an anti-anxiety drug called ativan that is similar to xanax I am on a small dose .5 mg once aday so hopefully that will not cause aproblem and i will not have it at all the day of surgery. Effexor is very much like Prozac in the sense that it does work with the serotonin levels,I am so grateful to know that you did well with your Prozac and were able to receive helpful pain meds. You sisters are so kind, and have helped put my mind at ease. Love and Blessings Carol
Unread 07-06-2001, 01:50 PM

I am currently, and have been on Paxil for a while. I took it, with my doctor's permission before, the day of and after my hysterectomy. I did not have a PCA. I received demerol injections immediately and the day after my surgery. Then I was given percocet pills after that. I have absolutely no problems.

I hope this eases your fears but I would definately check with your doctor about potential risks.

Good Luck,
Kim
Unread 07-06-2001, 01:51 PM

Hi Carol

I'm sorry that I can't really help you with first hand experience with Effexor. Hopefully, someone will come along who does.

Like the others, I'm concerned that the decision was left up to you. I agree with Carolyn: contact your doctor and have him/her explain the risks involved. Not only the risks dealing with continuing to take the medication right up to the day of your surgery, but also the risks related to not being weaned off the medication. You really don't want to deal with withdrawal symptoms as you are trying to recover from major surgery.

Wishing you the best of luck. Please keep us posted.

Unread 07-06-2001, 02:12 PM

Dear Sisters, again for really great advice! I knew my sisters would come to my rescue! Love and Blessings, Carol
Unread 07-06-2001, 02:23 PM

Nini,

I am on Remeron (a tetracyclic antidepressant) and the anesthesiologist and my psychiatrist felt it was fine to stay on it. I had Versed while waiting in pre-op for surgery, general anesthesia, and Demerol injections afterwards for pain. I did fine. I had Vicodin pills in the hospital with Phenergan for nausea and that was fine, too.

The Vicodin pills made me nauseated, dizzy, and gave me chills when I took them at home with out the antinausea Phenergan shots, so I went off them. I don't know if that's a drug interaction or if it was just how I react to that medicine.

Since Effexor has a short half-life (2 hours), it may be you can stop it just the day of surgery to minimize risk, and go right back on it afterwards. It does take effect quickly when you resume it (I used to be on Effexor but it kept me up at night). On the other hand, if your panic symptoms are severe, that's not something you want while you're in the hospital.

I hope this helps when you talk to your doctors to make your decision. I agree that if they're going to put this on you they need to give you a better idea of known risks or their plans for watching for and correcting any problems that do occur.
Unread 07-07-2001, 10:21 PM
Looked it up online

Hi Carol,
I looked up Effexor online and all the sources I found said that aside from MAOI Inhibitors, Effexor does not generally interact with other drugs. I did find a site that said that it usually does not interact with pain medications, but to talk to your dr! (How's that for a mixed message?!) Anyway, my take on this is that it isn't likely to be a problem. But if you are still worried, talk to your dr. again before surgery. I would think, and this is my opinion only, that if it were a real problem to mix Effexor and pain meds, that there would be red flags all over the place in regards to that topic. So, rest easy and don't worry!
Sending you a for your trip to the castle!
Warmly, Pammy
Unread 07-08-2001, 06:51 PM

Many Thanks ,Dear Sisters You have really helped in so many ways to relieve my fears. Denise you made a very good point regarding the Vicodin that is vey important to remember. Iwould hate to get home only to become more sick. Pammy that is really a big load off my mind about the Effexor I searched for the imformation and it is a Godsend to get your message tonight , being tomorrow is my big day at the castle! Love and Blessigs, Carol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register