Ovary removal question? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovary removal question? Ovary removal question?

Unread 12-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Ovary removal question?

My doctor is going to leave me with an ovary and he asked me to pay attention to which side gives me more pain. That was like 2 months ago. I have experienced pain on both sides. I guess that he wants to know which one causes more problems so he can remove that ovary. I am not sure about this. Can't he see which one seems to be worse? I have a history of fibroids, cysts and Endo. It was only about 1 1/2 years ago that he did a hysterscopy and laproscopy. I don't know what to say and now I am getting really nervous. Surgery in 9 days and pre-op appt. in a week. I guess I just tell him I am unsure about which ovary causes more problems. If they are doing surgery and find that they need to remove both then what happens? My mom will be at the surgery center, will they consult her? I am getting very nervous... Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Ovary removal question?

That seems like a pretty random way to select which ovary you are keeping. It make me question your surgery. Have you had a second opinion. This is major surgery and you don't get to go back and undo it if you picked the wrong ovary. Abdominal pain can have many causes other than ovaries. Have you or your surgeon considered laprascopically looking at your ovaries to evaluate their condition before you flip a coin over which one bothers you the most?
Unread 12-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Ovary removal question?

Your dr should know which ovary he is removing and why. I would be questioning his expertise here for sure, especially if he needs you to tell him that. Doesn't sound right. I would make an appointment with him just to see if "maybe you missed something ?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Ovary removal question?

I discussed keeping one ovary with my doc, trying to avoid HRT. I have more pain in my left ovary. Doc said that could be the healthy one and I have referred pain from the right. Since I have problems with cysts in both ovaries, she recommended taking both out. After much discussion and several visits, we are taking both. I agree with Pearle, they should be able to look at both of them during surgery and/or before with ultrasound to help you make a better decision. Ask lots of questions at your Pre Op appt and maybe consult another Doc. Good Luck!!!!
Unread 12-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Ovary removal question?

I called the docs office yesturday and asked them why he wanted to know which side was bothering me more. They told me that when he goes in for surgery he will be able to see which ovary to take but that he likes to know which side causes more discomfort because he facters that in with allthe other information and what he sees when he is inside. I feel better now that I called and asked. It sounded like I was making the decision on the one to keep but after talking with them I realize it is only a way for him to have more info. The did a laproscpy and hysterscopy about 1 1/2 years ago so I know he has some idea already. He said that I had one of the worst cases of Endo that he had seen in a while. It was all over everything, my bladder everywhere! I can remember having to go to the ladies room about 2 times an hour. It was embarrassing. After they removed the Endo it got better.Thanks Ladies. Christine
Unread 12-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Ovary removal question?

That's good Christine. You have to have "peace of mind".

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register