How are 7- and 8-monthers doing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How are 7- and 8-monthers doing? How are 7- and 8-monthers doing?

Unread 09-21-2005, 08:55 PM
How are 7- and 8-monthers doing?

Hello all....

I'm wondering how others are doing who had their surgeries 7-8 months ago are doing? I had a TAH/BSO in February and I think I'm doing pretty well but would like to know how others feel at this point in time. My abdomen is still somewhat swollen and some clothes still don't fit right...a little disappointing. My incision is healed of course but I am still aware of it if I bump it against something....which is pretty minor in comparison to what I endured after having the incision opened twice and having it packed and dressed for 1 1/2 months after my surgery. And, once and a while, I have strange little twinges in and around my abdomen but nothing that lasts or seems too bad. I had my surgery because of endometrial cancer and I'm coping with that pretty well....but every once and a while, I have this "oh my gosh - I had cancer!" shock wave come over me and follow-up appointments are anxiety producing. When my work schedule allows, I attend cancer support groups which help. I'd appreciate any stories or comments about how others are doing this long after surgery. I don't really have contact with other women who have experienced this surgery or this type of cancer. Actually, I have yet to meet anyone in person who is my age and has had a hysterectomy and I have yet to meet anyone else who has had endometrial cancer. Thanks for "listening" and responding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2005, 04:30 AM

Hi Kath,

I had my TAH/BSO in February also and I'm feeling the best I have in 2 years even though I still have some residual bowel issues which my local GP feels could be adhesion related. I was supposed to go back but after 3 surgeries in a 15 month period it's a road I've no desire to travel just yet.

I've noticed in the past few weeks that swelly belly rarely visits as often but I still get the occasional twinge especially on the right side. My incision fortunately has never given me a problem and I attribute this to my gyn's surgical skills, actually I can hardly see it.

As far as having to face the challenge you are and seem to being tackling head on with a positive approach,I was lucky not to have any cancer found. So sadly I can't help you there much but I do wish you a complete recovery.

Have you tried posting in the cancer forum area? As you may find someone your age there who is facing the same challenge as you.

Take care......Karen
Unread 09-22-2005, 05:18 AM

I am coming up on 7 months now and I feel pretty good. I still have pain sometimes at the ends of my incision, usually after a long day at work or some intense exercise - those are usually the times my swelly belly "falls out", too. Other than that, I feel better than I have in years. I've been doing weight watchers since June and have lost 15 pounds, and am exercising almost every day, which I really appreciate as I couldn't do that before my hyst for any length of time.

Every now and then the emotional implications of the surgery hit me. I am usually not too sensitive about it, as it was not a hard decision for me (never wanted kids), but yesterday I weighed in at WW and I was up half a pound. The boorish lady weighing me said, "you're up half a pound - are you on your period?" I said no and left quickly, but it really irritated me. It's at times like that I realize that I am now very different from most women my age (our age, I am 33 as well).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2005, 05:52 PM

I had aTVH and sling in March I feel better than I have in years. I am back teaching Jazzercise 10x a week and a part time job. Today I was very tired and had to remind myself it has just been 6 months. I wish I could help with the Cancer aspect of your question. After many tests I turned out to be cancer free. I have been doing the Relay For Life in our area for many years and most of my friends and family who have been through what you have tell me they will get that almost flash back kind of feeling. Be kind to yourself you have been through quite the ordeal! Please look for support groups on this board and through local hospitals. You do not need to be alone through this. Hope that helps a little (((((hugs)))))
Unread 09-22-2005, 05:58 PM

I am almost exactly 7 months out. I feel great--better than I have in years. A few bumps in the Road of Recovery, but they were just that--bumps, not mountains! Hey honneypot--I'm a Jazzercise instructor, too!!! 10 classes a week--yikes, girl, you rock. I'm at 5 and that's plenty (I have a full time job that I am just ITCHING to quit--I wanna do Jazzercise full time!!).

isewquilts
Unread 09-22-2005, 07:01 PM
4 monther

Hi 7 - 8 monthers

I know that I am only on my 4th month but when I was reading your page I realised how similar some of my feelings are. My Dr is really happy with my recovery (I had a radical hyst to remove cervical cancer)and I am feeling quite good, not having cramps and bleeding any more is a huge relief. My incision has healed it still twinges every now and again. My one pain that I have almost on a daily basis is in the upper vaginacervix area, if I stand/sit or walk too long or wrongly I get a searing pain. I am going to WW and have lost 15.2 lbs but still have the swelly belly and I have bowel problems since the surgery.
Have any of you had sex as yet? I am just terrified of the pain!! I am going to my Dr as I feel so abnormal and selfish that I have been avoided physical contact with my husband. Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath72
Hello all....

I'm wondering how others are doing who had their surgeries 7-8 months ago are doing? I had a TAH/BSO in February and I think I'm doing pretty well but would like to know how others feel at this point in time. My abdomen is still somewhat swollen and some clothes still don't fit right...a little disappointing. My incision is healed of course but I am still aware of it if I bump it against something....which is pretty minor in comparison to what I endured after having the incision opened twice and having it packed and dressed for 1 1/2 months after my surgery. And, once and a while, I have strange little twinges in and around my abdomen but nothing that lasts or seems too bad. I had my surgery because of endometrial cancer and I'm coping with that pretty well....but every once and a while, I have this "oh my gosh - I had cancer!" shock wave come over me and follow-up appointments are anxiety producing. When my work schedule allows, I attend cancer support groups which help. I'd appreciate any stories or comments about how others are doing this long after surgery. I don't really have contact with other women who have experienced this surgery or this type of cancer. Actually, I have yet to meet anyone in person who is my age and has had a hysterectomy and I have yet to meet anyone else who has had endometrial cancer. Thanks for "listening" and responding!
Unread 09-23-2005, 05:03 PM

I'm seven months too, and like Kath72 had TAH for endometrial cancer too, but I'm older. It's been hard. Unlike our sisters who have had gyn problems over time and wanted to have a hyst to feel better, most of us with endo and other types of cancer had it thrust upon us in a very unsettling way.

I too still have pain, lots of it. While my energy level is good, by the end of everyday, when I exercise, or do too much (which may not actually be that much) I have terrible swelly-belly. My scar is somewhat raised and when the belly swells, the scar pulls and hurts. I also have occasional internal pain, and sometimes shooting or searing "attacks."

But the worse part is the cancer-head. Yes, everyone, including the docs, says I'm lucky to have found my cancer so early, and that I'm cured. But often I'm really scared anyway. Been checking off the diagnositic tests the oncologist recomended. Had the mamogram, tested the skin tags, and this week had the colonoscopy.

Learned on the site about doing physical therapy for the ongoing pain issues. I found a doc (phyiatrist) that specializes in post-cancer surgery issues, but the soonest I could get an appoinment with her is the end of November. I too would like to hear from others in a simalar situation.

Debbie
Unread 09-23-2005, 06:17 PM

isewquilts - sounds like we had the same problems pre-op too! I work 20hours too. How long have you been teaching???
Unread 09-23-2005, 06:59 PM

Hello
I'm 8 1/2 mos out and doing good, I'd be alot better if I could get this
belly to go away.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register