hysterectomy/rectocele repair recovery advice needed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy/rectocele repair recovery advice needed hysterectomy/rectocele repair recovery advice needed

Unread 03-18-2006, 09:14 AM
hysterectomy/rectocele repair recovery advice needed

I had a total hysterectomy, rectocele repair, and bladder lift almost 8 weeks ago. I've been recovering pretty well but would like to talk to someone who has fully recovered from this procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2006, 09:33 AM

My surgery wasn't exactly the same, had anterior repair rather than bladder lift, but otherwise the same, 9 months ago now and I feel pretty completely recovered. If that helps you feel free to PM me or reply on the thread.
Unread 03-18-2006, 09:57 AM

Hi Bernie8
Welcome to Hystersisters! I see you are new. We had pretty much the same surgeries. I am quite a ways out now from my surgery and have recovered well. It is difficult to compare because of age differences and physical condition when you have surgery. None of us are exactly the same.
I had a pretty long recovery. I was 51 when I had it done and was very anemic when I went into surgery,so I was pretty weak coming out.
I was so glad when I had finally made the decision to just do it all though. I have no regrets. It took me about 8 months to get to where I didn't think about having had surgery though. Of course, I was able to do things before then, but I was somewhat limited in doing really physical things for a long time, like heavy lifting, moving and own furniture, that type of thing.
How are you coming along? At 8 wks I was feeling better, but still limited somewhat from doing 'normal' things. Let us know how you are doing.
's,Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2006, 12:46 PM

Thanks for responding. I am new to this site, so I'm not sure how to send a PM, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. It's good to know that both of you who responded took longer than 8 weeks to recover. My main concern is numbness in my right upper thigh into my right "cheek." Did either of you have that? The doc said it can take months for the feeling to completely return and in some cases, never does fully return to normal. And some evenings this area really, really aches. Like last night I did not attend a St. Pat's party that I really wanted to go to because I needed to lay down and use a heating pad on that area. Since it's been almost 8 weeks I guess I was thinking I should be back to normal and I'm kind of discouraged. I also still find it uncomfortable to sit. I go back to the doc next week. I'm 49 and have always been in good health and work out quite a bit. The numbness and soreness is what is worrying me and I'd like to know if anyone else had this problem and it just took time to get over it.
Unread 03-18-2006, 03:07 PM

(((Bernie)))
I didn't have the numbness, but I did have a hard time sitting for a long time. Riding in the car was awful for me. If you think about what all you had done on that area that takes the brunt of the pressure when we are sitting it makes sense that it is going to take a while to heal.
I had discomfort in the bladder area too when I would sit. It seemed like it was confining things and would cause pain sometimes. I had to be careful about wearing clothing that would restrict my tummy too much too.
I was relieved to find that it did go away with time. I really feel yours will too. I hope your numbness will clear up for you soon. I know when nerves are affected it is a very individual process. Try not to get discouraged. Most of us thought that by 8 wks we would feel 'normal' but that is rarely the case. Do what you need to do to be comfortable and with time I think you will find yourself feeling better.
's,Rita
Unread 03-19-2006, 10:18 PM

Bernie 8, hi another to Tennessee sister! I was reading about your sx of numbness in the thigh. Can't tell you how relieved i was, oddly enough. Have felt almost exactly the same numbness/pain and can hardly walk without limping if i've been walking a lot. Told the doc about this. Am having follow up in a couple weeks to see if i need a neuro consult. Began working fri and went in again today. Retail, lots of walking and was nearly frantic with pain tonight, leg on fire. Still up due to discomfort, don't want to keep dh awake. Anyway, our procedures were similar and in the same time-frame. Had TAH, BSO and bladder suspension 6 hours of surgery and 4 units of blood. Sorry to go on so long in your thread, just glad not to be alone in the weird leg thing as i've been calling it. take care and keep posting your progress. Thanks to all the sisters and for this site also. Carol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register