fears | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-05-2001, 01:13 PM
fears

Hi- This is the first time I've ever registered or tried a message board. I just found all this today and am so impressed with this sight. I am scheduled (tentative date) for TAH/BSO on May 9. I have pretty severe endometriosis and have suffered from painful periods for 22 years. Being my mom's daughter, I now have fibroids to add to that and am at pretty much the end of my rope. My sonogram shows endometriomas on both ovaries and several fibroids inside and outside of uterus. I have bladder and bowel problems and suspect lots of nice adhesions inside from previous surgeries. I am scared to death of surgery. I know I have had it before(I have a previous abdominal scar from a laparatomy at age 26). I'm scared of pain, nausea at post op. I suffer from panic attacks and wonder if someone could give me a few words of wisdom and caring. Sorry to be a baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2001, 01:37 PM
fears

Tamir, You're not a baby............everyone has the same fears you just expresed. I would worry if you didn't have any concerns. This is the place to be. Everyone is sooooooo helpful and kind. Try the chat room, too. It's fun and very informative. You can ask any question you want and they'll be somebody on there who can help. My surgery is set for the 18th. I'm 48 years old and have adenomyosis. I've been in pain off and on for a year now. I also had painful periods most of my life. As much as I'm scared, I can't wait to be pain free. Take care. God bless you............

gemsab(Emily)
Unread 04-05-2001, 05:09 PM
fears

Hello and welcome Tami. I had tah/bso last March...pain was managed with pain meds. Discuss all that with gyn. prior to surgery.

Surgery is scary..no doubt about that. My surgery and recovery were uneventful...just the usual aches and pains...nothing major.

We'll be you every step of the way. Glad you found us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2001, 06:01 PM
fears

Boy, do I know how you feel. I never had surgery prior to my TAH/BSO on 3/8 and the night before I suffered a panic attack outside Walmart. Luckily my DH was with me and talked me through it. We were both worried how the next day would go; I didn't want to have a panic attack before surgery! On the way to the hospital I did deep breathing exercises which helped me stay in control. Everyone at the hospital were very caring and understanding and all went well. Hang in there and remember, waiting is the worst part. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Unread 04-05-2001, 06:05 PM
Addressing the fears

Be sure to remind both your doctor and your anesthesiologist about your concerns about pain and nausea. They can give you extra antinausea medicine in the IV before they wake you up. The first thing I remember from the recovery room is a nurse asking me if I was still nauseated. I don't remember the nausea at all!

If you've had surgery before and you have an idea of what does and doesn't work for you for pain control, be sure to mention that to the doctor and anesthesiologist as well. I think it's helpful to establish a reputation as a big baby right at the start so they're prepared to give you a lot of medication, and to try a different medication, if you need it. And think about having someone stay with you in the hospital. Once you're able to walk a bit, walking often (even just a little ways) minimizes the gas and muscle pains. I didn't walk enough the first night because the nurses were too short-staffed.

Take very slow, deep breaths and remember, the waiting is the worst part. You'll feel so relieved once the surgery is behind you.
Unread 04-05-2001, 06:07 PM
fears

Hi Tamir! I am so glad you logged on to join us!

There is so much information on this site. For me, just spending time reading the site and spending time in the Chat Room made much of the difference. I did freak out...a couple of times but the ladies here were patient and caring with me. Every time I had a worry, they had an answer. I found that I was not alone...and neither are you.

We are here for you. Whether you need a question answered, a shoulder to cry on or someone just to cheer you, you will find it here!

Much luck to you, I hope to meet you really soon!
Renee
Unread 04-05-2001, 06:25 PM
fears

Hi Tamir,

I know what it is like to be scared of the unknown. I just had a TAH/BSO on 3/19, and believe you me, I was nervous and had all kinds of thoughts running through my head. I have a wonder DD who worked with me and was there to answer all questions I had. I made it through the surgery with no problems, was able to manage the pain with the medications given, and am well on my way to recovery after 2 1/2 weeks! As has been said many times on this site, the waiting and anticipation is much worse than the surgery and recovery. I truly feel better than I have in years. You will do just fine. Please keep coming here for support and talk to you doctor about your fears and let him/her help you with them also. Best of luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register