Am I doing the right thing removing my ovaries during my LAVH? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I doing the right thing removing my ovaries during my LAVH? Am I doing the right thing removing my ovaries during my LAVH?

Unread 10-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Re: Am I doing the right thing removing my ovaries during my LAVH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsea View Post
what is PCOS? it isnt in the abbreviations.
PCOS is a complicated disorder of the endocrine system. One of it's symptoms is ovarian cysts, thus the name "PolyCycstic Ovarian Syndrome". However, a woman can have cystic ovaries without having PCOS. The diagnosis requires testing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastasialuc View Post
Brandy, I can't wait to hear what you decide. Your insurance situation puts you in such a similar dilemna to mine. I really am leaning toward "get rid of all of it now"! But I know that my personality sometimes leads me to be a bit to laid back about situations which should be taken more cautiously, and I've read so many "wish I hadn't, or wish I had" stories, that my head is spinning.

Kay, its stunning to think that you can still have PCOS without ovaries. How depressing! I'm having the hyster due to miserable cycles that get closer and closer together and last longer. I had endoscopic surgery for the endometriosis and PCOS 11 years ago, followed by a pregnancy, so my symptoms had been reasonably under control for several years, but my doctor warned me at the time I would have decisions to make in the future. Because my last pregnancy was so difficult, the doctor removed my tubes during my c-section (I was NOT happy about that). Since more children are out of the question and the insurance will cover at this point, I'm having to jump in with both feet, so to speak. Thank God for you all and this site for giving me so much information. My doctor may run when I walk in for my last visit before the surgery. I have a feeling my list of questions is going to be several pages long !
Well I did go to the dr today for my pre-op and I have to say I am really at peace with what I have decided. I'm going to let her take my uterus and do the a&p repair and while she is in there I told her to look at my ovaries and if they are no good to take them out. If they look ok, then leave them in.
She understood my dilemma but she really talked to me about things.
Also last night I remembered something that my mom hasn't mentioned.
My granda that passed away from ov cancer used to use talcum powder all of the time down there. I remember going into the bathroom after she took a shower and powder was everywhere. My mom's sister told me that she also thinks that she got ov cancer from that. Studies are showing this is a problem more and more. She passed away in '91 and there still isn't a warning.
Nobody else in my family has had ov cancer so maybe it was because of that. Not 100% sure, but it makes sense. I'm not a doctor but I will continue to get my ca-125 tests and then get the brca test also. Good luck with what you decide- PLEASE keep me informed. As I will!!!
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:34 PM

PCOS is polycystic ovary syndrome.

This is so tough! There are new developments in medicine (along with discoveries and disproving of previously believes theories) every day! In our situations, once what we chose to remove is gone, its gone! I'm trying so hard not to agonize over this, but there is so much information available, I'm afraid my thoughts will be too unorganized to make the right decision once the time comes.
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:37 PM

Brandy, I'm so glad you came to a decision that you're comfortable with. I pray that I will as well. As I just stated, basically, you never know what the future holds for yourself and for scientific developments. It sounds like you've made a very logical choice, however. Congrats! I'm sure you'll sleep better tonight. Hoping to get to that point myself
Unread 10-26-2010, 10:30 PM

I have PCOS and kept my ovaries. I can handle the cysts, they never bothered me, and so long as my ovaries continue to function I'm happy (which they are, they never "went to sleep" after surgey either).

I watched my mom go through menopause when she was 32, so for me, I would rather deal with a "possible" dx of cancer down the road than deal with menopause now (I'm 34). At the end of the day, you choose to do what you are most comfortable with. Good luck to everyone with their surgeries, I hope they are very boring and uneventful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register