Scheduled LSH Bowel prep? Does everyone have to do it before hysterectomy ? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel prep? Does everyone have to do it before hysterectomy ? Bowel prep? Does everyone have to do it before hysterectomy ?

Unread 03-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Re: Bowel prep? Does everyone have to do it before hysterectomy ?

I just came back from my pre op im having a tah bso and no bowel prep yahoo and nothing to eat after ten the night before my surgery is at 9:45 Thurs Apr 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Yes, I had a clear diet the day before. Had to drink the entire bottle of magnesium citrate (half in the AM/PM) and an enema 1 hour before bedtime. I wasn't hungry because I drank up to midnight. I also could eat Italian Ice, which I took advantage closer to my midnight cut-off.
Unread 04-01-2014, 09:19 PM

I don't have to do any bowel prep, thank the gods! And no diet restrictions except nothing to eat after midnight. My surgery isn't schduled until 11:45 am, do I hope I don't faint from starvation !! Nah, I'll probably have a queezy belly from anxiety and won't want to eat anyway.
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:51 AM

that's great! There really is a range of things women on this site will tell you doctors request. From nothing, to a simple fleet enema the night before, to two days of intensive prep.

Good luck!
Unread 04-02-2014, 03:30 PM

I've had to do several bowel preps for different procedures. I've found that eating foods with lots of liquid (soups, stews, noodles, ect.) the day before makes it much easier. No protein. Carbs, fruits and veggies. NO HOT SAUCE OR SALSA!! Use baby wipes, and get some diaper rash cream just in case. Using this method I haven't had any cramping or pain. Best of luck...

Mattie
Unread 04-02-2014, 04:24 PM

I had to do what the docs office called a mini bowel prep - I'm 47, so thought of it as "practice" for my eventual colonoscopy coming up at 50. It wasn't too horrific, but it seems that my doc wasn't as extreme as other posts that I saw here.

Here's what I was told to do (and did) - 24 hrs before surgery, clear liquids only (this was harder than I thought, broth sucks). 4 pm day before surgery, half a bottle of mag citrate (referred to as poopy juice!) then nothing after midnight. Suggestion, put poopy juice in refrig to get as cold as possible before taking.

Surgery was scheduled for 8:30 the next morning. Got to pre op at 7, surgery was at 9, all done and in recovery by 10:30 (so they tell me, I'm a little fuzzy on that).

Any way that it goes for you, would suggest to buy in advance something like Gatorade or fruit punch or ice tea. (Think of it as insurance - if you need it, you have it.) You'll need to keep hydrated. Drink as much water/liquids as you can the day before surgery. The last thing that you want is to be dehydrated. You'll be losing a lot of fluids with the bowel prep.
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:08 PM

I started by prep today. An anti- nauseous pill at 12 pm.. A full bottle of magnesium citrate at 3 followed by another pill at 7 pm and another full bottle of magnesium citrate. It tastes awful and I am dreading that I have activated the launch system. Two full bottles I will be clean lol,
Unread 04-07-2014, 01:19 PM

This is my second bowel prep. The first one I had was for a colonoscopy and it was Suprep. Not as easy to get down but made it. This time I have 10oz Mag Citrate and a fleet enema. I mixed the mag citrate with 18oz of blue cherry Gatorade. The mag citrate is lemon flavor. This was a good combo. Tastes good. Drink it cold and with a straw. You don't have to gulp it down, just don't nurse it as my friends would say. It kind of tastes like a sweet n sour popsicle. Very tolerable! Thought this might help.
Unread 04-10-2014, 06:26 PM

I have instructions to do a cleanse the day before. My surgery will be robotic.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register