TVH What *IS* swelly belly after hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What *IS* swelly belly after hysterectomy? What *IS* swelly belly after hysterectomy?

Unread 08-30-2014, 12:37 PM
What *IS* swelly belly after hysterectomy?

Hi I had my total vaginal hysterectomy on Tuesday, I believe I have peed out all the IV fluids now because my fingers and feet are back to being boney and skinny, but I measured my waist and it's still TWO inches bigger then before surgery. What exactly is this that's going on? I worked hard to diminish my waist line before surgery and now I don't have one. It's not just under the belly button where the uterus was, it's all the way up to my ribs.

Also, I'm almost completely out of pain! If I stand up I feel pressure almost like I am crowning a child, but it's not painful. How long until the heavy crowning sensation goes away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2014, 01:07 PM
Re: What *IS* swelly belly

Many of us describe as feeling like a tampon is stuck in the vagina. My doctor said it is from stretching the vagina. I never had children so can only relate it to a tampon.

As for swelly belly - it is the belly swollen up from all the trauma. Why the upper part seems to swell more I don't know, but have found that same. Could have something to do with the gas used and the inflating of the abdomen.

Use the stomach muscle as you can. I never used a binder that many do (never heard of them until after coming her after surgery) but did hold and rub my belly like a pregnant woman. My right side was the sore side so when I walked that was the side I held. When getting up from sitting or laying, it was also the side I held.
Unread 08-30-2014, 01:09 PM

Hi there, Doodles. I had my TVH a week before you, on the 19th. Your insides have experienced a trauma and are likely inflamed, and your body is working to fill the void left by the uterus with fluid. I have been reading here that some people experience "swelly belly" for months. Don't panic--I was able to zip my jeans this morning. I wouldn't actually wear them, too tender, but I am happy in my sweats for now. That "pulling" feeling is almost gone; I get occasional twinges in the afternoons, but for the most part am pain free. I was able to stop all meds after a week, even Tylenol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2014, 05:31 PM

My heaviness subsided about week 3. The swollen abdomen appears to get worse on exertion. I am hoping it does indeed go away in time.
Unread 08-30-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles0912 View Post
Hi I had my total vaginal hysterectomy on Tuesday, I believe I have peed out all the IV fluids now because my fingers and feet are back to being boney and skinny, but I measured my waist and it's still TWO inches bigger then before surgery. What exactly is this that's going on? I worked hard to diminish my waist line before surgery and now I don't have one. It's not just under the belly button where the uterus was, it's all the way up to my ribs.

Also, I'm almost completely out of pain! If I stand up I feel pressure almost like I am crowning a child, but it's not painful. How long until the heavy crowning sensation goes away?
Doodles!
We are all so different when it comes to swelly belly... Some women don't get it at all, and others may have it for months. It varies in severity and duration and there just doesn't seem to be anything we can do to make it leave. Best advice: settle in, wear comfortable clothes and just go with it. I have heard it compared to a sprained ankle and the way that swells. Some women feel relief using ice, I personally found comfort with my heating pad. I had a TVH like you, and I also swelled up to my bra band. I easily looked 7 months pregnant for my first 2 weeks post op. It usually decreases gradually as the weeks pass.

Article: Swelly Belly

Regarding the feeling you're having down below, this may be swelling tissues. Having a TVH means we have had instruments in our vagina stretching, pulling and manipulating for the duration of our surgery. I had the feeling of pressure down below for about 8 weeks post op.
Unread 08-30-2014, 05:38 PM

Swelly Belly

This is the article from Hystersisters.
Unread 08-30-2014, 05:45 PM

Thank you all so much for your helpful answers!
Unread 08-30-2014, 05:47 PM

That is exactly what I was feeling today! I'm glad to hear that it's normal and just a result of standing on my feet a little too much today. I'm worried though, because I teach and go back to work in 10 days. That will be 4 weeks post-op, so I'm hoping things will improve by then.
Unread 08-30-2014, 06:11 PM

Oh bless your heart veek! Can you sit down while you teach? Hopefully even a little break here and there. Just wear dresses and stretchy pants in case you do swell up!
Unread 08-30-2014, 06:24 PM

I have a couple of maxi skirts that I plan to wear a lot. And I think I will have to do a lot of my teaching from a chair for a while. I'm even thinking about bringing a stool out for kiss and ride duty. Fortunately I teach in an elementary school where kids are always more than willing to be be helpers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register