scared of the unknown | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared of the unknown scared of the unknown

Unread 05-13-2004, 04:19 PM
scared of the unknown

Hi , I am new to this site and trying to gain knowledge of a hysterectomy!
Could someone help give me information about massive fibroids,
I am due to get a hysterectomy in a few months because of a massive fibroid (33cm) which caused no pain or symptoms- just that it kept growing and due to the size - hospital said that this was my only option, I have started a course of injections (prostap sr) yesterday , to help the shrink fibroid and am feeling really really scared when i think of the operation. I am over weight
(21 stone at the moment) and keep reading about the complications that can arise ie:dying in operating theatre. I hate to be morbid but does anyone else think of this or is it just me. I know that there is alot of you had the operation and are fine - but does anyone actually die from it. I just keep thinking that it could happen to me as it is a major operation. I think i will contact hospital to put my mind at rest but i would be greatful for any information that could help me sort out my mind - I couldn't stop crying when i woke up this morning thinking about my husband , son and daughter. Although the operation is about 4 months away , i just feel that i have been given a death sentence
and can stop worrying about it - please help

Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2004, 04:28 PM
scared of the unknown

Please dont be thinking morbid thoughts like that. When you have a shock diagnosis of fibroids, and then hysterectomy, you are bound to be whizzing all sorts of unpleasant thoughts around your head.
I'm not sure where you are living, but you need to go back to your doctor, and tell him how upset you are, and maybe he could prescribe some anti depressants to calm your anxieties.
We are all recovering from a hyst. on this site, at various stages with various post op symptoms, and we all had different ops. Some had TVH, some had it done abdominally.
Some kept ovaries, some didnt.
I was terrified going into hospital, the night before, I was all jittery. But I got through it all. You will be fine, and your fibroid will also be gone, and when you've recovered, you will put all of this behind you, and move on.

Fran

ps Keep us posted, we all support each other here!
Unread 05-13-2004, 04:38 PM
scared of the unknown

Helen, It is totally normal to be afraid when you are facing this surgery. I had fibroids also, along with cysts on both ovaries. I was so afraid that I wouldn't wake up from the surgery. I have found that it seems to be our number one fear on this website. You are not alone.

But, we do wake up, and you will also. As Fran suggested, you should speak to your doctor about your fears. They can give you something to calm you. I am on antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds. They have helped a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2004, 04:53 PM
scared of the unknown

Hi and welcome! I doubt there's a single one of us who did not think about dying on the table. For me, it was a very real possibility due to some severe health issues, but I had a high suspicion of cancer, so it was not an elective procedure. There was a whole team of doctors involved in my care, and everything went splendidly. I'm now over three weeks out, just got my staples out yesterday and the surgeon is all but crowing those magnificent words: UNEVENTFUL RECOVERY THUS FAR

I spent weeks preparing to not wake up from anesthesia. Updated my will, made lists of who to notify and how, planned my funeral and interment, wrote my obituary, wrote final letters to loved ones, worked hard on closing some relationship issues I did not want to leave open, the whole nine yards.

Once I felt I had those things settled, I put them all aside and focused all my emotional and mental energies on not just surviving, but coming through wonderfully well, taking this as an opportunity for a new beginning in my life. (I have been in psychotherapy for many years, and still am, so my therapist and I did some very powerful imagery type work in this direction.) I also got everyone I knew to muster prayers, good thoughts, etc. for me from everyone *they* knew.

I truly believe this attitude and all that wonderful support is influencing my good (thus far) recovery. I encourage you to do whatever you need to do during this preparation to face those morbid thoughts, deal with them and get rid of the huge influence they are having on your mind, so that you can turn your energies toward healing yourself.

BTW: I weigh more than you do. (I also have insulin dependent diabetes and primary pulmonary hypertension, which is a potential killer lung disorder.) You will be fine. It's great that you have some time to ease your fears and turn your thoughts around!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register