TAH Swelly belly? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly belly? Swelly belly?

Unread 12-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Swelly belly?

Feeling incredibly bloated and tender today, the ache kind of spreads to my hips and down the front of my legs. Is this the dreaded swelly belly or maybe something else? Just seemed to come out of nowhere, I was feeling great and suddenly I feel bloated, swollen, achy and tired. Bleh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Re: Swelly belly?

tnt07 - saw your post and found this article on here. Thought it might help. It helped me when my swelly belly developed.

Hugs and Healing thoughts!!!

What is Swelly Belly? What causes it? How do I get rid of it?

First of all, the term "swelly belly" (Latin term: Swellibellicus) is a HysterSisters word that refers to post-op swelling of the abdomen. It can occur in any type of hysterectomy procedure, but seems to be more prevalent in abdominal surgeries.

Swelly belly is caused by trauma to the abdominal tissues, gasses used during surgery, and/or fluids collecting in the tissues due to trauma during surgery.

If you've ever sprained your ankle or been stung by a bee, you've probably had some swelling at the injured site—the same principles apply for swelly belly.

Swelly belly is NOT fat, or weak muscles (though they may contribute), or last nights lasagna collecting around your mid-section (though that can also contribute).

Swelly belly seems to make an appearance soon after surgery in most ladies (though not always all) and may hang around for several weeks or even months. It is worsened by too much activity, lifting things that are too heavy, being on your feet too long, stuffing yourself in jeans that are too tight, and just generally overdoing it. It also seems to be worse in the evenings, after a long day of overdoing it.

So, you ask, "How do I get rid of it?" You don't. It has to go away on it's own. Resting may help: not overdoing it, not lifting things that are too heavy, not being on your feet too long. Avoid all possible triggers for your case of Swellibellicus,

Sometimes a good support panty can help too, but again, make sure it isn't too tight, or it can make the problem worse. (Support panties work with swelly belly like putting a pressure bandage on a sprained ankle can take the swelling in the ankle down.) Occasionally, ice packs or a heating pad may help too, but check with your doctor first before using either.

What won't help? Exercise, especially too soon, though after your doctor has released you, it will help tighten up your abs. But the swelling in the tissue may not disappear with exercise. Dieting may not help either. If you had somewhat of a tummy to begin with, you may notice some improvement, but dieting will not get rid of the swelling in the tissues.

So what's a girl to do? Just wear your swelly belly proudly; don't sweat the small stuff. Swelly belly is just one of those things you may have to endure until your body has healed. A small price to pay for getting rid of painful periods, excessive bleeding, fibroid tumors, cancer, or whatever else was the reason for your surgery.

The HysterSisters Store has the Perfect Pocket Abdominal Binder which is a wonderful product that provides support while cooling the incision.

If your tummy becomes hot, red, or painful, please call your doctor. This is NOT normal and NOT part of the normal post-op swelling. Any unusual symptoms, or anything that you're not comfortable with should be reported to your doctor immediately.
Unread 12-02-2013, 08:54 PM

I had my TAH the day before you. Swelly belly is my biggest problem! The hardest thing was ordering elastic waist skirts to wear at work in a few weeks. I have seen ladies say 6 weeks to 6 months on the swelly belly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2013, 09:47 PM

Wow! I thought it was just me! Thought I was gaining weight already after a total hysterectomy. I am so glad to know that my previously fat belly is fatter for a reason.
Unread 12-03-2013, 01:03 AM

Thanks Darbar for posting that article! I had my TAH on 31st Oct and had a vertical incision - my swelly belly seems confined to the area around the incision which looks really bizarre! Some days are better than others, but the swelling does seem to be gradually going down. I am living in leggings and sweatpants at the moment though! Going back to work soon so I'm going to need to smarten up my legging look! 😉
Unread 12-03-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culkin39180 View Post
I have seen ladies say 6 weeks to 6 months on the swelly belly.

Yes... and even NINE months! (But it went!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register