Would like to hear from Sisters 55 and older | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Would like to hear from Sisters 55 and older Would like to hear from Sisters 55 and older

Unread 02-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Would like to hear from Sisters 55 and older

I am 59 and pressing to get my hyst. before the end of March..........for prolapse.stage 4.

Saw the Gyno on thursday and his nurse will call to set surgery date. The doctor was recommended by my GP and has 17 years experience. The only issue I have is that he mentioned that he probably would take the ovaries as well if he had easy acces to them--verses if they are atrophed and out of the way he would leave them. ?????? I told him my ovaries would give him a fight if he tried to remove them--hinting that I really would rather keep them. I guess. I need to research it further.

Just would like to get feed back from older ladies who have had or are about to have hyst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2006, 12:24 PM

I did not have prolapse, but I was 52 at the time of my hysterectomy. My surgeon suggested taking my ovaries at that time and I agreed. Had I known then what I know now, I would have kept them. (I had my hyst before I found Hystersisters.)

I thought I would be able to take hormones afterwards, but I was wrong. I found out after my hyst that I have a genetic blood clotting disorder and cant take HRT, so I've had to deal with menopausal symptoms since then.

I think you'll find this old thread interesting. Pay close attention to what Savh says. Apparently our ovaries work for us even after menopause.

You need to do what you feel is right for you. Some women, like me, find out too late that they can't take HRT. Other women do fine with it. Do you research, and return to your doctor armed with your findings. Together, you should be able to make the best decision for you.
Unread 02-26-2006, 07:12 PM

Hi,

I had my hyst at 53, almost 54 and had my ovaries out, but this was because my mom died of ovarian cancer around my age. I also have increasing side aches from cycts that form off and on, so I feel better at this age on having them out. I do believe the chance of ovarian cancer goes up in your 50's and beyond and it just bothered me to keep them especially since I was already winding down with the hormones from them.

I had only a slight prolapse, so with my TVH I did have a rectocele and that was like 1 or 2 stage. The hardest part of my surgery was healing from the repair, as it was hard to sit for 6 weeks. I didn't want to drive till week 3 or so.

I take hrt because the hot flashes and moods got worse after my surgery. I was having some hot flashes already before my hyst. In 3 years I have been slightly lowering hoping to go to lowest dose if I can.

My surgery took about 8 weeks recovery with the repair, with some minor problems healing, constipation issues, hormone tweaking, and a yeast infection, but overall no big problems or serious issues.

I wish you the best with your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2006, 03:44 PM
55 & kept ovaries

Hi,
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since my TVH with a&p repairs for prolaps. I kept my ovaries as there was no problem with them. Came home, threw away the pessary and am enjoying a relatively easy recovery thus far. Good luck to you.

Holly
Unread 02-27-2006, 04:24 PM

I'm 61 and scheduled for full hysterectomy on March 10. I have uterine fibroids and cysts on my ovaries. What is the recovery period for we older hyster sisters? Any experienced older recovery times and possible complications due to age?
Unread 02-27-2006, 04:35 PM

I had my hyst at 52 and the doctor planned on taking my ovaries because of my age. I had heavy bleeding and they suspected possible uterine cancer. Luckily for me, it was caught at the earliest stages and no further treatment was needed after surgery. I did have tumors on both ovaries, but they were borderline. I went on HRT about six weeks post-op when it was determined that my tumors were borderline (low malignant potential). That was 5 1/2 years ago and I am fine. Some women prefer to keep the ovaries. That is something you need to discuss with your doctor. As far as ovarian cancer is concerned, there is some good information on the following websites: www.ovariancancer.org (Ovarian Cancer National Alliance) and www.ovarian.org (National Ovarian Cancer Coalition). Also, Johns Hopkins University has a website that is very good.
Unread 02-27-2006, 10:59 PM

I am not sure if the recovery will be any longer or harder with age. I think we are all different and it might have a lot to do with what our current health is and how fast we heal.

There are some women that are younger that have had more problems than older women so one never knows for sure about age and recovery.

s
Unread 02-28-2006, 12:22 AM

I am not 55, but feel like I am getting close. I am 47 and will be getting my ovaries and everything else out tomorrow. I have polycystic ovaries and lots of cysts and endo everywhere, so I am happy to get rid of everything. I would rather get it all out at once and not have to have a another surgery some day. I have been in constant pain for the past few months and really look forward to feeling better!
Unread 02-28-2006, 09:38 AM

Age is just a number really......I truly believe the best thing you can do facing this surgery is to arm yourself with knowledge, do lots of research, be very confident in your decision and then you will be able to know it was the right choice for you. This also helps in your recovery because you can view your recovery from a positive light and know that you only need to get through a few short weeks to regain a higher quality of life that will last you for the rest of your years.... positive thinking helps recovery go better as well! Really it all boils down to a choice.....you get to choose how to react to any given situation on any given day.......good luck!
Unread 02-28-2006, 12:22 PM

Hi all,

Bookone, I think that how fast you heal or what you entail has too many determining factors to go into here. (As if I would know). Just wanted to add that my cousin who had her hyster--in her early 40s I think it was had a real problem with bleeding. The doctor thought he never would get the bleeding stopped and for that reason--I willbe cutting back on all aspirin/tylenol/motrin etc. I have arthritis and am the primary caregiver of my 30 year old disabled son. I take anything I can get my hands on for stress and pain. Have to nix that once I get my surgery date. My prolapse feels like I am going to turn inside out. Gotta go fo rnow but will write more later----------

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register