What Would You Do?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What Would You Do?? What Would You Do??

Unread 09-04-2002, 03:47 PM
What Would You Do??

Hello Systers.....I am beside myself with wondering what to do.....
A brief history..I have had a large fibroid that my Dr. was never really concerned about. She wanted to take a "watch and wait" approach.She is not an aggressive doctor. Well, we watched and waited and now over the past 6 months, it grew to 9.5x7.8x8.8 CM. It is causing terrible bladder problems. OK, so I went to her for a consult. She did not do a physical at that time. Just went ahead and scheduled the surgery for 10/4. I asked her at that time about my bladder. She said not to worry, that my bladder should be fine. I work for a GYN, so I asked his opinion. He examined me and diagnosed a grade 3 cystocele that will need to be repaired. He offered to 'scrub in' and assist her if she wants him too. He is a wonderful doc and I wish he could do the surgery, but he is booked solid, and assisting would not give him the full responsibility of my care. I faxed the report of his findings to her office yesterday, and I have not heard from her yet. She is almost impossible to get ahold of. From working in this field, I know that the OR is booked according to what needs to be done...and if I do not see her until 9/30 that will not be enough time to book the extra OR time. She is not returning my calls and I feel hesitant in trusting her with my care. It hurts when I read about Systers whose docs care about them, and I see how my employer treats his patients with care. I am trying to psyche myself up for this surgery with no help from her or her staff. How do I get her to at least return my calls? My manager says to just show up at the office, they can't believe how unconcerned they are.I don't know what to do. I can't eat or sleep and work is the only place I can function. Bless you for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2002, 04:31 PM
What Would You Do??

Hi Angela
Why the wait and see attitude from your physician. Was it not causing you any pain at the time? How big was your fibroid before the the past 6 months

Karen
Unread 09-04-2002, 04:51 PM
What Would You Do??

Hi,

I do understand the wait and see approach. I do not understand scheduling surgery without a physical exam and a new ultrasound. She would have gone in and done the surgery and you may have had to return for a repair. As it is, you may need a sling and perhaps should consult a urologist.

A urogyn surgeon is the best, but who can find one?! If it were me...I would wait until your employer's schedule has a cancellation or until he can work you in.

I loose faith really quickly when things like this happen. It's like a sign. Maybe this is all an oversite on behalf of your gyn but who wants to take the chance of future oversites? Unless you can get immediate satisfaction from your gyn and her staff, I would move on.

Best of luck with this. I hope you can physcially hold on for an opening in your office.

Maralyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2002, 05:07 PM
What Would You Do??

If you don't have faith in your current surgeon reschedule.

You got a second opinion (sounds like a good one) --- a third one couldn't hurt and may further support your employer's findings.

s
Unread 09-04-2002, 06:37 PM
I agree

Sounds like your second opinion is more valid than your first. I wouldn't have confidence in my surgeon if she was that hard to get ahold of, or if she ignored my calls. Sounds like she's so busy (i.e., don't bother with further exam) that she won't pay adequate attention to YOU!

I know it's hard to wait. But it is so important to have someone you trust. Does the dr. you work for have a recommendation? Can he make a referral on your behalf?

Let us know, and good luck.
Unread 09-05-2002, 03:23 PM
What Would You Do??

Well! Thank you all so much for your replies! This is the third day that my doc has not returned my calls....I think I am going to ask the doc I work for to do my surgery. I want the BEST and I feel that he is the best!! He asked me today what I decided to do, I told him I would think hard about it over the weekend. This may also sound strange, but I feel that if he does my surgery, I will be allright!! I am very afraid to let my doc do it. Well, I'll keep you posted.....
Unread 09-05-2002, 04:34 PM
What Would You Do??

Dear My3dogs075,

Trusting your gut makes so much sense to me. I know that, once most of us decide on this surgery, it is tough to wait for our date. But, if your instinct says you need (and deserve) a doc with more time to focus on you and your questions and concerns, it may well be worth the wait.

I had a really skilled surgeon, and I trusted that, but he had little time or energy for my qualms or for informing me about the procedure and post-op effects of my TAH. If I hadn't had Hyster Sisters, I would have been left with so many unanswered questions.

In hindsight, despite his talents, I think that I should have looked for someone else who was more available and concerned. I received virtually no information about prep or recovery. Quite frankly, I would have been completely in the dark about so many of the things that I had to deal with had I not found this site.

I don't think that it should come to that - the luck of finding information elsewhere. It seems to me that you are clear that the doc that you work for is trustworthy, caring and skilled. I agree with my sisters that he sounds worth waiting for!

Cecee
Unread 09-05-2002, 04:40 PM
What Would You Do??

If you can't get your employer-doc to do it, I'd keep looking for a new doctor (maybe he can recommend someone?). Without commenting on your current doctor's actual surgical skills, her unresponsiveness is disconcerting (what if you have problems post-op - will she return your calls then?), and you'll feel better with someone you trust.

Are you sure that your employer is actually hesitant to take you on as a patient? Or is he just trying to keep from stepping on the toes of your current doctor? He may have offered to "scrub in" to avoid saying "Hey, she really missed something here! How about I do your surgery, and you can tell her to go jump?" Ask him, at least - he may be happy to do it.
Unread 09-05-2002, 05:22 PM
Hi Angela

Hi Angela,

When I read your post, it reminded me of my last doctor. It is soooooooo frustrating to have a doctor who won't even answer your calls. Feels like that's the least they could do.

Here's my 2 cents... it feels like the doctor that you work for has your best interest in mind... that's a VERY good thing! I also agree with Cecee... trust your gut... if your intuition is telling you not to let your current doctor do this surgery... I would certainly listen. If it were me, sounds like the doctor you work for is a much better choice.

My best to you.

Take good care, Gracie
Unread 09-05-2002, 08:10 PM
What Would You Do??

angela,

i can identify very well with your situation. i actually changed doctors last week even though i had surgery scheduled for 10/08. i no longer thought she was right for me.

as i've said on other replies, i have lupus and she was not in the least bit concerned how the surgery would affect my lupus or vice versa. i wanted to keep my cervix, she flat-out refused with no reason that seemed to warrant her taking it out.

and so, here i am with an appt. for 10/14 to see this other doctor, whom i've seen before and is a really, really good doctor. (once again, i ask why in the heck i switched anyway???)

dear, if your gut says this doc isn't right (and she doesn't sound right to me), trust your instincts.

catholder

--i'm not a medical professional...i've just been around waaayyy too many of them.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register