Scheduled TAH Pre Op Appointment/Are they that insensitive? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre Op Appointment/Are they that insensitive? Pre Op Appointment/Are they that insensitive?

Unread 04-22-2010, 06:16 AM
Pre Op Appointment/Are they that insensitive?

Good Morning Sisters,
I went for my pre op yesterday. I was surprised that I only had to have blood work, talk to the anesthesiologist and nurse and get my wonderful little bottle of aneseptic wash. All in all, it went well and I am feeling a little calmer after talking with everyone.
However, in my conversation with the nurse I found out that my hospital stay would be in the NEWLY RENOVATED MATERNITY WARD! Now, you may say that is no big deal. But, for someone like me who is 43 years old, never been blessed with children and desperately tried to have one, I think it is sad. The last thing that I need to hear is a newborn crying or walking down the hall and see a women holding her baby after all chances of me having a child are gone. I also know that I will have to see mothers and children daily in real life. I'm not crazy. But, do I have to be subjected to this while I'm recovering in the hospital?
My question is this, do they ever think of all of the different feelings and circumstances each women has? Am I being rediculous and too sensitive? Has anyone had a similar experience? ~lilaclily~ TAH BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Re: Pre Op Appointment/Are they that insensitive?

I was also put in the maternity ward but they put me on the other side of the ward. I hope they do that for you. Im so sorry you have to go through this. but I think that it happens alot. Just make sure your door is closed I do have to say I didnt hear alot of babies crying. I wish you the best of luck future
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:27 AM

You are not being too sensitive or ridiculous. I think that is asinine! You *know* some male hospital administrator came up with that brilliant idea.

Do you feel comfortable asking them if there are any other options on where you can spend recovery? Or talking to a hospital administrator about this policy?

((hugs))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2010, 07:05 AM

I have to agree with everyone you are not being too sensitive. I did not know that they could put you on that floor or wing. I am learning so much from this site things that I have not even thought about, like where they would take me after surgery.
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:14 AM

I was sent to the Pediatric Ward after surgery. Yep, 41 years old and Winnie the Pooh on the wall. All in All the care that I recieved was very good. Being in the peds or maternity section gives you nurses that handle women all the time. I would express your concerns now and during admissions. They may have a special section of the maternity floor dedicated to those without newborns.

Best of luck!
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:04 AM

I was also on the maternity floor unfortunally the hospital I was in didnt seperate out the patients, So the 2 rooms next to me and the room across the hall we all new mothers and their familys in great moods while I was miserable. I did right a note to the hospital saying I thought it was insensitive of them and I do have kids I can not imagine what it would be like for someone who was unable to have children having to be on that floor as it was hard for me. My surgery was 3 weeks ago and it has been about 2 weeks since I sent the letter and oh course I have heard nothing back from them I just think we should be on a post op floor. not in maternity
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:55 AM

I am so sorry that this is what you will have to deal with after your surgery. I was fortunate enough to stay in a brand new hospital. They put me in a gyn wing in a private room (all the rooms here are private - nice!). The maternity section was on the same floor but in a completely separate wing that was separated by doors and a long lobby. It seemed that I was in a wing with patients that were having gyn surgery or fertility treatments or having major bleeding issues etc.

I can't imagine why hospitals don't consider this when they house patients. The thing is - you will need to be up and walking after this surgery. I walked the hallways four times before they let me go. I have had children but wouldn't have wanted to deal with the whole newborn baby thing as I was trying to recover from this kind of life-changing surgery.

I don't know that there is anything you can do if this is the policy in this hospital. But, I would talk to your doctor and tell them how painful this is for you. Maybe they can make an exception in your case - put you in a room that's close to the ward but not In it. Your state of mind is very important in the healing process and your doctor will know this and appreciate it. I had some exceptions made for me because of previous problems with anethesia. They gave me the Chief of Anes. and put me on special meds for after the surgery. This was not the normal routine so I know exceptions can be made - you just have to really communicate how this is going to affect you.
Unread 04-22-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4crazydogs View Post
I was sent to the Pediatric Ward after surgery. Yep, 41 years old and Winnie the Pooh on the wall.

Best of luck!
OH MY!

Seriusly though, I would call and see if you can get mved to another floor. That does sound insensitive. I bet they're just thinking it'd be nice for you to be in the bright and shiny new floor with all the new equipment etc. That's going to be the case for me too and I'm worried about the noise level WITHOUT any of the emotional component since I was blessed with a son. I definitely understand the pain though. My best friend had 2 miscarriages in 6 months and needed a D and C and they put her in the room beside a woman in active labor.
Unread 04-22-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerTulip View Post
My best friend had 2 miscarriages in 6 months and needed a D and C and they put her in the room beside a woman in active labor.
That's just not right I've had 3 miscarriages and 3 d&c's. If they had put me anywhere near a woman in labor I would have totally lost it. I was heart broken. Thank goodness I recovered in the day surgery area.

I did end up on the maternity floor when I was admitted with mastitis (an infection in the breast), but in a different wing. I had my own room for the night, but got moved the next day and ended up sharing a room with a woman recovering from a hyster. So I have a feeling I'll be over there for my recovery too. It's nice because it's on the maternity floor, but far enough away that you don't hear the new babies, etc.

Give your doc a call and see what kind of set up they have. You may be in the maternity section, but in a wing they have for other gyn procedures.
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:15 PM

Yikes I too don't think that's right. I'm like you and have never had any children and going through this at this age is very upsetting to me already. I can't even imagine if they put me in the maternity ward. I have a hard enough time now dealing with the emotions I don't think I'd be able to handle it. Thanks for bringing this up....I'm adding it to my list of questions for my pre-op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register