Question for the Princesses | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question for the Princesses Question for the Princesses

Unread 01-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Question for the Princesses

What kind of foods tasted good to you in the early days of recovery? Did you prefer soups...were you very hungry....etc?

I am getting ready to go to the store to stock my pantry and I want to have as many things available as possible to make it easier on my nurse (Mom ) as I recover the first week or so.

Thanks for your input and advice!

Shel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2004, 11:13 AM

Hi Shel~

I didn't have an appetite at all for the first 4 -5 days post op. I don't do well with anesthesia & was still nauseous at this point. When I finally did get an appetite, I started with soups & crackers.

At the time of my surgery I was working at my children's elem. school. All the lovely staff there took turns preparing and delivering meals to my home. It was about the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me!

Preparing & freezing casseroles and such is always a good idea. Best wishes for a smooth surgery & quick recovery!

's
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:18 AM

After being on a liquid diet for 3 days in the hospital, on my last evening they said I could have solid food. It was a boneless chicken breast, corn, salad, and I think some potatoes. I didn't eat the corn- figured that would be awful on my digestive system after the bowel prep before surgery and then the liquid diet, but scarfed down the chicken and the salad. They tasted sooooo good! Unfortunately, I paid dearly that night, as I had the worst gas pains and bloating ever! DH walked me around and around the hospital, but no good. Finally the nurse had to give me an enema, which relieved the pain.

Once I got home, I was nervous to try solid food again, so stuck to pudding cups and jello for the first day. But for supper that night, I had mashed potatoes and gravy, and they were wonderful! Didn't really have an appetite anyway for a few more days, so I mostly ate pudding cups, ice cream, and mashed potatoes- figured this was my only chance to eat like that and not care! I had a terrible craving for lasagna, however, but DH said no, because I was still having terrible gas bloating and pain no matter what I ate, and needed to avoid cheese. Finally talked him into ordering a pizza on the Saturday after my surgery (on Monday) and it was the best tasting pizza evah!

It took almost a week from surgery to get my appetite back, and then I went straight back to eating whatever I wanted, but still was full after just a few bites. Just recommend that you watch out for anything that causes gas. Lots of evenings, I still need my GasX after eating, and it's been almost 7 weeks.

Maureen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2004, 11:21 AM

Shel,
Hey, I am just North of you in Gainesville! I go to Frisco some.

As far as what to eat post-op.......everyone is differant. I know that my tastes changed. Things that use to be good no longer tasted right. I was addicted to COCA~COLA's...the real ones, and fortunately the taste was so bad post-op that I no longer drink them!!! And I have seen a lot of posts here about coffee and tea and such not tasting the same. As far as foods go...I prefered soups. Light ones. Chicken Noodle, cream of chicken....none of the veg. ones. The other thing I tried to do each day was graham crackers with PEANUT BUTTER. The PB is high in Protein and that is what your body needs in the immediate recovery period!!! My appetite did decrease a lot! I lost 15 pounds the first 2 weeks and another 15 the next month! I have maintained that loss and it is now 12 weeks post-op. I needed to loose, so it was a good thing! I know some women gain and some loose. EVERYONE'S RECOVERY TRULY IS INDIVIDUALIZED!!!!!!!! What works for one may not work for another, just listen to your body!!! THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO IS BE SURE YOU ARE DRINKING A LOT OF WATER....A LOT!!! Fiber is important too, because CONSTIPATION is usually an issue. Careful about the fruits/veggies that can add to the gas issues though! BE SURE TO ADD GAS X (or the generic of) and COLACE (or the generic of!) to your list!!!! You don't want to have to send out for some in the middle of a bout with gas!!!
The other thing.......have something special just for you...you will deserve a treat!!!(ice cream sandwiches!!!)
I hope this helps some!!! Best of luck to you in your upcoming surgery and recovery!!!!!

Ronda
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:30 AM

I felt like eating on the second day - but EVERYTHING tasted toooooooooo salty!!! (It was me, not the food). Basically once I got over that (day 3) I was interested in eating all my normal foods, but in smaller quantities - I didn't want to get blocked up.
I ate tons of fruit and veggies, very little red meat, no rice or pasta, and a LOT of fish and chicken.
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:32 AM

Just a little caution with the pre-made soups and foods. Please watch out for the amount of salt. I was looking at the Cambells Hand Full's (I think). One cotainer has 40% of your daily sodium?!?! Have a couple of those and you'll need 4 more glasses of water to balance.

One of my friends has a FoodSaver. We are getting together over the next couple of weeks and putting some of my favourite foods together and freezing it so I just have to pull it out and Nuke it.
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:51 AM
hi

I didn't have an appetite either for about a week...and when I did have one I couldn't eat very much. My doctor said it was best to avoid straws, carbonated drinks, and all foods that normally gave me Lots of Luck! Jana
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:57 AM

I agree with the posts on your appetite will probably decrease as mine has. Which hasn't hurt me one bit either as if it causes me to lose weight it won't hurt me one bit either as I could stand to lose some pounds.

As for foods that I craved.....soups were actually what I wanted and vegetable soup was the one that I craved the most, after that would be chicken noodle soup. Definately avoid foods that cause "gas" as I made the mistake of taken out chili that I had fixed prior to my surgery that was frozen in the freezer and paid for that mistake.

Microwaveable foods are also another thing that is easy and actually satisfied my taste buds during my first week. The portions were small and that was fine with me.

My Mom had taken off work for a couple of days to help me out but ended up getting sick so I was "on my own" to take care of my self. But did fine with the soups and microwaveable dinners.

Best of luck with your surgery.
Unread 01-03-2004, 03:31 PM
foods

First all of good luck on your upcoming surgery. here are some of my favorites following my return home:

cranberry juice
oatmal raisin cookies (helped me with bathroom thing)
italian ice (I had sore throat for x 10 days after surgery)
I found that eating small portions several times a day was easier on my stomach. I am 7 weeks post op and the pst 3 weeks I crave mixed nuts. Maybe my body is trying to let me know I need protein. I forced myself to eat pears, peaches and grapes. I wish I could always have that control. My friends all brought tons of chocolate (still have some) and other sweet treats. It is only the past week or so I have been craving sweets. We will be thinking of you.
Unread 01-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Thanks for all the input

Thanks gals! I'm off to the store for cranberry juice, pudding, soups, crackers, jello, and yogurt! (I already have the generic Gas-X & stool softeners) I've made some meals (sealed in my FoodSaver) for later in the recovery...but really needed guidance for the early days. Just over a week now!

Shel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register