Insights from my 2/22 trip to the castle (LAVH) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Insights from my 2/22 trip to the castle (LAVH) Insights from my 2/22 trip to the castle (LAVH)

Unread 02-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Insights from my 2/22 trip to the castle (LAVH)

Hi Sisters!

I've officially made it to the post-op side! I am grateful for the information, advice and support from all the sisters who tread this path before me and wanted to pass on tidbits that I found helpful.

First off, let me specify that I had a LAVH on Tues. 2/22, due to severe endometrial hyperplasia with atypia and the fact that I was experiencing pain in the area of my cervix during procedures that were necessary to monitor the hyperplasia, after heavy lifting, and even during arousal. I have not ever given birth and was able to have my uterus removed vaginally (in one piece as there was a cancer concern) WITHOUT an episiotomy (Yeah!!!).

Had my uterus and cervix removed, ovaries reportedly looked good and stayed. Endometriosis was seen so good riddence to that! Hopefully it will not reappear due to keeping the ovaries.
Pathology reports on the uterus and abdominal washings came back great (no hyperplasia just "mildly disordered architecture") but there were precancerous findings in the tissues of the cervix. It is believed that with the removal of my cervix they got all alarming tissue and no further treatment is needed. My Dr. and I are suprised that there were precancerous findings in the cervical tissue since my frequent paps have been coming back normal. This makes me concerned about future monitoring (paps of the vaginal cuff) and I will be bringing this up at my post-op appt.

That all said, my stay at the castle was only marred by the fact that I do not tolerate anesthesia well. Once I was able to metabolize those drugs out of my system things progressed for the better hour by hour.

Here are some tips I would like to pass on, many I learned here and feel are worth repeating (I don't want to take credit!):

1. I was glad that I followed a hystersister's advice to bring a thank you card to the hospital. After all the TLC I received from hospital staff it felt appropriate to leave a token on my gratitude.

2. Be sure that your catheter is not underneath you in your hospital bed! Mine was and therefore was not draining well and it was also pulling a little any time I wiggled. I went for some time with discomfort that was really unecessary. Once the tube was placed over me (and we also taped it to my thigh to lessen the chance of any other uncomfortable yanking) the catheter was my friend and it enabled me to get some solid sleep uninterupted by needed to visit the bathroom.

3. Do yourself a favor and before you leave for the castle, lift your toilet lids up! (Or at least the lid of the toilet you'll be using when you return home from the castle.) At my house we are all in the habit of keeping the lids down and I was dismayed at the thought of trying to lift it the first time I needed to pee when I got home!

4. Even short walks can be immensely helpful. Walking has been the best way to get gas moving and even when I didn't feel up to going very far, I felt the benefits from the small amounts of walking I managed to do.

5. Chap stick. I slathered it on before going into surgery and didn't have super dry cracked lips later. Was great to have on hand for the following days at the castle too.

Well, that's all I have for now. I am sure as I heal and I will have more reflections to share. Thanks for all who have shared their experiences, thanks to all who are walking this path with me now and best wishes to all the ladies in waiting!!!! I'm feeling better than I ever expected on the other side ---and that's with a less than perfect castle stay!

Hugs,
On A Journey

34 y.o. LAVH 2/22/05, kept ovaries, no episiotomy, on my way to healing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register