TVH -Can the Doc really see in there? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH -Can the Doc really see in there? TVH -Can the Doc really see in there?

Unread 09-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Re: TVH -Can the Doc really see in there?

Well, that has happened once. I tried the empire waist(baby doll) style just that one time. All it took was for a man to ask me when I was due and I never bought another top like that! I am 40, my youngest is almost 13. I would say lower back heaviness started about 5 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2009, 10:24 AM

Do you mean that they are not going to put the instruments in your belly button & one on each side so they can see with the camera? I didn't even know they could do that.
Unread 09-05-2009, 10:49 AM

NOPE! that was my question. I was diagnosed at 19 with endometriosis too. I had 3 children spaced out so I am sure the pregnancies put it in check for a while. But, I was hoping she was going to explore, look around to make sure there are no adhesions, endo, cysts, fibroids.
I hope I am not going through all this pain, just to have to go back in for another surgery in a few years if I have other issues. I would rather know that my pelvis is "CLEAR".
But the Pressing issue is my Uterus and heavy bleeding, the cervix has got to go, I am missing half of it anyway from cervical cancer years ago. I watched a straight vaginal hysterectomy on you tube and It is very simple. Open, cut away and pull out. I did not see anyway that a good look at anything can be done without a camera/scope. Well, I like my doctor, I do not want to question her. I did ask her this quesion and she sounded confident that this was all I needed.
Unread 09-05-2009, 10:12 PM

I wish my surgery was that soon lol.But i do know what you mean with your bowels.My uterus seems to be sitting on top of my rectum which is part of the lower bowel near the exit pointand thats where i get this blocked up feeling lol.Maybe when they finally realise how bad mine is something will get done about it.After eating approx a four year olds meal i feel so bloated and feel as if i want to spew,im pretty sure my uterus is sitting right at the entrance of my vagina.I have noticed when we have tried to make love thats where its hurting and to have my bowels blocked up at the same time gives me shooting pains near my belly button.I hope ive helped you a bit and good luck with your surgery and hope everything with go fine with you.
Unread 09-06-2009, 02:22 AM

Hi Barbie36ct
A TVH doesn't allow adequate view to explore the pelvic cavity for endo nor access to remove it. Perhaps your GYN feels TVH is all you need for your heavy bleeding and your history of cervical cancer. Please do not feel afraid to question your doctor though. She is working for you. Doing a job that you are hiring her to do.

A lot of vag hysts are done on women who were unaware they even had endo, but since you already know you had it at age 19, it would be wise to discuss that with your surgeon and be comfortable with the plan before proceeding.

I had stage IV endo and a frozen pelvis. (an extreme case of dense, fibrous adhesion freezing everything together very tightly in place) so it would have been impossible to do my surgery without the assistance of the scope or conversion to an open procedure. Taking down my adhesions and removing all the endo took much longer than the LAVH/BSO part did. Some women with stage I endo have extreme pain...Some with stage IV have no pain at all, so pain isn't a reliable indication of the severity of involvement.

I see your surgery date is near and don't want to cause you stressful thinking, but do want to encourage you to talk to your doctor again until your (valid) concerns are addressed to your satisfaction. TVH is a popular procedure and a good option for many women. No matter how much you love/trust you doctor - this is your body. Get your second opinions without feeling guilty and ask away with your questions without feeling uncomfortable so you'll feel better about what's best for *you* with your history.

Best wishes with your surgery, recovery, and return to better health.
Beth
Unread 09-06-2009, 04:13 AM

Beth- Thanks for the thourough response. It doesn't scare me. I am hoping if she gets in there and sees my ovaries or tubes surrounded my endometriosis, she does something about it. But by the time she gets that far into the operation, I am thinking she may try to remove them vaginally as well. She did discuss that with me. And I am OK with that, and have accepted the risk.
I think reading this site prepares you for the worst and the best.
I may be a simple case like my Doc is planning on, and nothing may be found except a tired, big old, bumpy, lumpy uterus.

Thanks again for being there.

Barb
Unread 09-07-2009, 12:21 PM

Your symptoms sound a lot like mine. I am scheduled Sept.11. My Dr always had to manipulate my uterus into place before she could ever do any kind of exam. I cramp all the time and have lower back pain often. I too have loose BM's but attributed it to gall bladder removal 2 years ago.....maybe its all related. Sometimes I feel anxious but 2 seconds later I am really looking forward to feeling better....
Unread 09-07-2009, 02:40 PM

DGM.. we have even more in common, I lost my gall bladder too, But mine went when I was 21.. I was not fat, fourty or whatever the other 3 f's are..LOL
Unread 09-08-2009, 02:20 AM

The things we women have to go through just to have kids.Then we suffer for the rest of our lives.I say where is the fairness in that lolI think men should take some of the burden off us .What do you think Barbie.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register