Do you let your kids visit you in the castle? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you let your kids visit you in the castle? Do you let your kids visit you in the castle?

Unread 05-27-2003, 08:32 PM
Do you let your kids visit you in the castle?

I am torn on the idea of my kids seeing me in the castle.
(I love that term by the way).
What does anyone think? Ages 3 & 7.
I am supposed to be in for 4 days and can't imm not seeing them. But.... the last thing I want to do is scare them.
I have been sick for a while (Brain Tumor) and my oldest is figuring out whats going on. I have told him my belly has to get fixed and already he is getting upset.

HELP!!!!
Thank you in advance for the advise.

Kerrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2003, 08:37 PM
Mine did visit...

...but part of me is sorry I let my dh bring them. I think my 10 year old was pretty upset seeing me looking the way I did---he's not used to seeing his mom all tired, moving like an old lady, and having tubes, etc. coming out!

I know how hard it would be to not see them, but in my humble opinion, if I had to do it over again, I would have waited until the day I came home.

They did come to pick me up, though...by then, I was "made up" and dressed and the look of relief on my son's face was palpable!
He said, "Wow Mom, you don't even look sick!" I almost cried.

My 5 year old seemed to handle it a little better but was VERY quiet the whole time...I think he was more fascinated than scared.

Hope this helps!

Unread 05-27-2003, 08:38 PM

Kerrie,
I am wondering the same thing I have a 5 & 2 year old. This question is on my list to ask the doctor. I have requested to be on the post partum floor and I know they allow children there, but am wondering if I will feel up to it myself. I am most scared of being away from my children for a long period of time. I am origianlly from Rochester New York and I miss it terribly I am in Las Vegas and we had a high today of 110 degrees, YUK!!!!
Best wishes for a speedy recovery !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Castle visits

I had my DH & F call me when the boys 5 &7 got home from school - I wanted to see them I needed to just as much as they did - my dh & F told them that I looked a bit funny - tired & all but I was fine - oddly enough I was in the ped. ward for Post-Op - so after the visist they went & played in the play area - they were happy to come see me & I was happy to see them - they eneded uup coming each night to give me kisses - I am so happy
Unread 05-27-2003, 08:53 PM
hey kerrie and tinkerbell...

just realizing we're all 3 New Yorkers! (I'm originally from Yonkers---where are you from, Kerrie?)

Good luck Ladies!
Unread 05-27-2003, 09:09 PM

I think you should let your kids come to see you, however you know your kids better than anyone. Mine are all teenagers so I have no choice in the matter they have already told me they were going to come and visit me.
When they were little I had a tubal pregnancy that ruptured and I was in pretty bad shape in the hospital. They could not even come to see me I was in ICU.
They were able to come see me later when I got moved to a different room, however I did have the oxogyn taken off of me and the blood transfusion stopped until they left. I found the the staff was willing to work with me so we could reasure them Mommy was going to be fine. Ishowed them my "owie" and they did okay with it. Italked to them on the phone and always had DH call to see when a "good" time would be to bring them. I hope this helps.
Mag
Unread 05-27-2003, 09:16 PM
children not allowed...

On the floor I was on they did not allow children in the patient rooms at all. My newborn baby did come to see me with DH in the recreation room but my other two ages 7 and 3 did not. I talked to them on the phone though and was home the day after my surgery. It was hard on both my children being away from me but I honestly did not feel like putting on a happy face and pretending that I was not in as much pain as I was so I wouldn't scare them.
Unread 05-27-2003, 09:56 PM

I can give some input from a patient's point of view. Keep in mind I was in a private room and the hospital was designed so each room was pretty private even if the door was open. Still, as a patient, I wasn't up to dealing with other people's kids while I was trying to wander around the halls.

Almost every hospital floor has a gathering room - usually with a TV in it. My hospital was also designed to have a little vending machine kitchen on each floor. I recommend having the kids see you in one of the common areas. That way they don't have to see the monitors and deal with the majority of the hospital smells. You also look more normal because you'll be up and walking around (really, you're supposed to walk!) The bonus is there are more places to sit so it's more comfortable for them.

The day of my surgery I felt up to walking around so much, hubby and I went down to the cafeteria (the elevator ride was an interesting sensation). When your kids come to visit you CAN go places inside the building and the designated outside garden areas, too.
Unread 05-27-2003, 10:38 PM
My 9 year will visit...

I have had several emergency trips to the hospital where our DS was along for the ride. I have always been very open with him, and he sees me in pain a lot, so that is nothing new to him. We explain what all the tubes are for, etc.. He comes for short visits and gets the "treat" of eating in the cafeteria with Daddy. He also thinks the hospital is cool because the tv's get cartoon channels that we don't get at home. The hospital is not a scarey place because we are open and answer all his questions. Granted, he turns away from anything gross and he hates to see people throw up, but who does?

There are some wonderful children's books for all age levels about trips to the hospital. Maybe you could share these with your kids before your surgery.

Not to brag, but my child is very well behaved and quiet. I have had to share a room in the past with a gal who had very noisey and disruptive small children and that was not pleasant. The kids ran all over the room, bumped the bed, turned the tv up loud, etc. I felt sorry for her, because the kids wouldn't listen to her, her DH was clueless, and she was very embarassed and apologetic.

If your kids do visit, have an agreed upon signal so your DH will know when you have had enough! I loved the idea about using the lounge as a place to meet.

Unfortunately my little one will be celebrating his 9th Birthday on the day following my surgery. Part of my suitcase will be packed with a special present for him and a cupcake and candle so I can sing to him! Luckily I will have a private room, so my singing won't make someone's recovery worse! LOL

Diana
Unread 05-27-2003, 10:53 PM

My 2 1/2 year old gd visited me in the hospital. She was only taken aback for a few seconds, then came over and asked to see my incision. She had a zillion questions. She still remembers visiting me. She still remembers I had staples. She does not seem upset by it. When I had surgery recently she asked if I was going to have staples. She is now 4 1/2 years old and was just as interested in seeing everything. Then she climbed in bed with me and we had a little chat. I know I'm not her mother, but I'm important to her. I was very matter of fact with her and she handled it fine. But that's her. You will know better how your children will be. I personally believe it depends a lot on how you are with it. I happened to be very calm both times and the last time the pain control was totally awesome, so I was feeling quite OK.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register