No Appetite - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-08-2006, 06:49 AM
No Appetite

My hubby has also been worried because I haven't been eating much. The only thing that sounds good to me is my mom's icebox birthday cake she made me before she left. I only have one slice left! *panic* I have no idea what I am going to eat now. I have been forcing down something to take my motrin since it can't be on an empty stomach. Other than that, I'm right there with ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2006, 07:06 AM
No Appetite

My appetite hasn't been good either (I'm 8 days out from surgery). Some meals I eat a few bites. Some I do a little better. I'm not eating the way I did before surgery, that's for sure.

I am drinking 16-oz tumblers of half-juice, half-water to stay hydrated (either apple or orange). I have 1 cup of coffee in the morning, and I can only drink it with milk and sugar. I used to use coffeemate, and the thought of it now nauseates me.

I also used to love diet snapple and propel - again, the thought of drinking those things turns my stomach.

I am able to eat ice cream okay, so I'm doing that when I can. My problem seems to be that I get bloated really fast once I start eating, and I'm so uncomfortable (or having gas cramps) ...that I don't or can't eat much. I'm terrified of that horrible bloated feeling.

So I guess this isn't unusual - all of us in this thread are having issues, it seems.

eileen
Unread 11-08-2006, 07:50 AM
No Appetite

I can so relate. My appetite was so non-existant right after the surgery that my Dad was buying me anything he could find to get me to eat. We asked the Dr. and she said that it was normal and that the most important thing was to continue to drink plenty of fluids so that I didn't become dehydrated. Anyway, you will get your appetite back. Mine came back at about week 3 and everything tastes normal.

Unread 11-08-2006, 08:36 AM
No Appetite

One of my dear friends had this issue after her surgery last year. She recommended yogurt. By golly, something that doesn't taste half-bad! Okay, so I don't eat much at one time. It gets down there.

Lena
Unread 11-09-2006, 10:43 PM
No Appetite

I lived on mash potatoes for the first week and a half. I just started back on my beloved chocolate. But the first time I tried to eat something I went for chicken (ok, you should know I like everything spicy), well you would have thought the doctor ordered a cleanout. So then I didn't eat again for several days. But now almost 3 weeks post op, I'm enjoying food, (still not eating spicy yet), but only in small amounts. And I wasn't a coffee addict, but did drink a lot of tea, and still not ready for it.
Unread 11-10-2006, 12:11 AM
No Appetite

My appetite and craving for coffee returned in about 3 weeks. As a nice side effect I became addicted to cranberry juice - something that had happened to someone else among the sisters too.
Unread 11-10-2006, 06:41 AM
No Appetite

I finally was brave enough to step on the bathroom scales yesterday morning. I've lost somewhere between ten and fifteen pounds! My weight fluctuated wildly the last week before surgery due to Aunt Flo, but that's a good estimate.

Has anyone tried the Detox herb teas to flush the anesthesia out of their systems? Thanks to my case of metal mouth, they taste nauseating.

Lena
Unread 11-10-2006, 07:28 AM
No Appetite

I ate alot of tums so I could hold down a few bites of apple sauce so I was able to take pain meds. (why the give you pain meds you have to eat with after surgery is a whole nother question???) and the best of all I'm drinking good ole H2O which before my surgery I hated more thatn anything to drink.. I've cut down on the pop and choclate(this made me cry)and dh almost had a heart attach because of it. 1 week post-op and slowly stomach is saying its time to eat again. good luck and remember to keep up your strenght.
c
Unread 11-10-2006, 09:46 AM
No Appetite

hi there to all of you!!! Thank you for your advise. I went to the dr. yesterday and due to not eating much and then taking the flu on day 9 of my recovery (I am now on day 12) I am being direct admitted to the hospital. My doctor refuses to let me take any other meds at home since I am not good at keeping things down and I now have a bad UTI. Wish me luck ! this is not what I wanted or needed when trying to take care of three little ones at home. Thanks for all of your helpand I will keep you posted. Take care
Heather
Unread 11-10-2006, 12:24 PM
No Appetite

Giant HUGS Heather!

I will keep you in my prayers and hope to see you home soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register