TAH Sex ?'s after hysterectomy - now that I have no cervix... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sex ?'s after hysterectomy - now that I have no cervix... Sex ?'s after hysterectomy - now that I have no cervix...

Unread 06-28-2014, 10:55 PM
Sex ?'s after hysterectomy - now that I have no cervix...

Hi Ladies!

So I'm a forty year old divorcee.
Haven't had sexy in ages but I'm thinking about it these days.

My exhusband was, um, "blessed", let's say. When we made love, I felt him hit and go into/past the cervix. So now that I have no cervix, what exactly is happening in there? Was the end of my vagina tapered off so to speak? Does it feel different or limiting to a man having sex with a woman that has no cervix and uterus? Will it feel different to me?

Can I expect changes to how I feel? I have both ovaries still, still get pretty aroused. Will 'dryness' become an issue or is that an issue for when I'm menopausal?

Any insight very very welcomed please

Thank u!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2014, 11:21 PM
Re: Sex ?'s - now that I have no cervix...

Hi rswright74,

I have no cervix or ovaries and have great sex. I used to hate having my cervix bumped, and apparently that was what was happening to you with your ex. Unless you had a structural anomaly (and we have plenty of women here who have them) your cervix at it's widest point, somewhere along the middle should measure only about about an inch in width at the most. So I doubt you ex was going very far past the exterior of the cervix unless he was tapered at the end, but I'm sure it felt like it.

Since you have no cervix, you very likely have a vaginal cuff. Think of a tube sock. It's open at one end and sewn shut at the other. The vaginal cuff is elastic and can stretch quite a bit. My DH cannot tell the difference. I can tell a difference as I did not like having my cervix hit because it hurt too darn much. Turns out it was covered with endo. Also I don't think I ever had uterine contractions with orgasms so I don't miss them. Women who enjoyed the feeling of having the cervix bumped and had uterine contractions with orgasms usually miss them and orgasms are different for them. Most men cannot tell any difference at all according to the women who post here. My DH actually likes it more.

You may be a little dryer especially at first if the ovaries take a while to get back to their normal jobs, but you may not. The cervix does provide a bit of mucous, but the major vaginal lubricant is made by the vaginal walls in response to the hormones made my the ovaries. So likely dryness won't be a problem for you. Nonetheless, the first few times after your doctor clears you for sex, you should use lubricant to reduce friction as much as possible.

Early post-op it is common for the libido to rise in response to hormone fluctions after surgery. That may or may not last. There is no way to be certain how it will feel until you try it. Some women think it's better (me!), some don't feel much difference, and some find orgasms are just not the same or lacking altogether. Hopefully it will be just fine for you.
Unread 06-28-2014, 11:58 PM

I have noticed some changes in lubrication, but I hasten to add that I'm not sexually active. Prior to my hysterectomy, when I was the fertile part of my cycle (I think that's when it was anyhow), I would sometimes get long sort of goopy strings of mucus for a few days. Sounds gross but oh well, this is a hysterectomy forum which is sort of the definition of TMI-land. :-)

Post-surgery I don't get anything like those things, thankfully. They were ... well, gross and annoying. However, I still do get some additional lubrication once a month, just nothing like what I used to have.

I had a TAH, cervix and tubes out, ovaries left in. No endo/adeno, cancer concerns, or prolapses, just a gigantic fibroid. I'm 48 and don't feel as if I'm in menopause, but I may be bumping up against the beginnings of it. I'm not sure. And again, I'm not sexually active so the only thing I've really noticed is ... well, the relative absence of big, stringy cooch boogers. :-) There's really no other way to put this, unfortunately. Sorry. :-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2014, 12:58 AM

That was INCREDIBLY informative THANK YOU.

Yes - the hitting of my cervix was always very very painful so I'm glad that is going to stop. It was especially more painful and prevalent when ovulating. I don't know it that's because the cervix is lower, swollen or something during ovulation or what. I am curious as to what I felt when it felt like my ex was going into the cervix. Was kinda a pop, pretty painful and felt like he was going further but given that is highly unlikely, I'm now curious.

So since posting I found a few articles on the vaginal cuff. Not sure yet if I am fascinated or mortified lol. I'm glad you told me it stretches because of all the articles I read, I was left with the impression of well, a hard stop, for lack of a better term. Hard and shorter dead end. Before this moment I hadn't even given thought to things like what happens to the top of the vagina, how does it stay in place, where do my ovaries sit, etc... I remained blissfully ignorant as to not scare myself from the surgery.

I have absolutely no idea if my orgasms prior included uterine contractions. Seems like something I would/should know but I don't . Guess I will find out one day!

"Cooch boogers" halarious! We have a four year old and it took a while lot to have him. We became experts on when most fertile, timing and whatnot. Cervical mucus with the egg white consistency indicates the best time for fertilization at the height of ovulating. I was usually pretty symptomatic when ovulating so I'm very anxious to see what happens next ovulation time. I should have known no cervix would mean no more cervical mucus (mine was excessive too), but curious to see if I get the other symptoms I did during ovulation since I will have ovaries and nothing else, like the temp changes, cramping, mood swings... Something to look forward too

Thank you ladies!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register