Sept. 20th is the Day | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sept. 20th is the Day Sept. 20th is the Day

Unread 09-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Sept. 20th is the Day

I'm new to this site and now becoming used to some of the terminology. My guess is the "castle" is the hospital, but I'm not sure how it came to be k anown as such!

My TAH (+ ovaries, maybe) is scheduled for next Tuesday - I check into the hospital at 6:00 am. I'm not freaking out yet about the actual surgery, I just don't know how I'm going to feel afterwards. The pain and immobility I can live with (and there are painkillers), I am anxious about taking the time off of work. I'm an accountant and sit at a computer all day, so my job is not physically demanding. I'm hoping to be able to go back to work at least part-time after 2 weeks of convalescence. I'm feeling from reading posts and talking to others that have had the procedure that I may be thinking a bit optimistically...

I will continue to peruse the site, but I was wondering if anyone had any quick thoughts.

Thanks in advance :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Sept. 20th is the Day

Hello dggl and to this site! You will find so much great information here from real women who have been there!

I did not have a TAH but had a LAVH (laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy). My first two weeks were rough because of constipation and gas from the anesthesia and pain meds but I was given stool softeners and drank prune juice and felt better by the third week. My incisional pain was minimal but then I had the laparoscopic procedure and not the big incision. However, the vaginal pain was unreal for the first week. After that it got better. I thought I was feeling great by my third and fourth week and was driving, doing laundry, etc...But when I went back to work this last week reality hit. Keep in mind that I have a job that is physically demanding and had to be on my feet a lot plus full time. After one day back I had to call in Tuesday because of extreme fatigue, nausea, and no appetite. I forced myself to go back the rest of the week and endured major fatigue and achiness all over. Now my bowels are out of whack again and today I am resting all day! I had to take painkillers to get through work (feel like a junkie!) so this could be why.

Just remember that a hysterectomy is major surgery and it will take some time to recover fully. Please don't push yourself if you are not ready for something! Take the time and heal right and your rewards for having the hysterectomy in the first place will be more appreciated. Also, I had my ovaries removed and am on HRT so this is taking time to adjust to. I have some hot flashes and irritability but otherwise no other menopausal symptoms. This is just my experience. I realize that you have a desk job but it may still be uncomfortable to sit for long periods of time. Hopefully someone who had a TAH will come along with more advice. What is your hysterectomy for? Just curious.

I hope your surgery goes smoothly and you have an uneventful recovery! Take care of yourself and keep us posted on your progress and any concerns!
Unread 09-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Sept. 20th is the Day

Hello, dggl. Welcome to HysterSisters. The absolute best place to get information and encouragement from people who are "on the other side" now.

I work in an office also. Sitting at a desk can be awfully confining. It's up to your body to tell you whether or not it's time. Just be careful about overtiring. I had a TAH/BSO procedure, and I fine that when I do too much, I spend the next day dog tired and have no energy. Just be careful.

Hope all goes well with your surgery and recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Sept. 20th is the Day

I had a TAH 8/16/05 and haven't been back to work yet. I also have a desk job but am sure that I'm not ready yet. My plan was to take 6 weeks off .. but may extend it a little.

I realize that everyone is different and recuperates at different rates. Just take it very easy. My dh has been great. He took some time off to help out and was a tremendous help. My kids are 16 and 9 so they are also able (key word ... able) to help.

Good luck to you.

Debbie
Unread 09-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Sept. 20th is the Day

I had a TAH on 8/16/05. I work with computers all day and find it difficult to sit in an office chair for more than two hours. I generally get very sore. I also feel good one day and am dog tired the next. Many days I do my work from a recliner with a laptop. My DH is also the greatest.

One lesson from my experience at the "castle" is that they are not quiet. I needed ear plugs to get any sleep.
Unread 09-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Sept. 20th is the Day

Hi - My hysterectomy is due to endometriosis, severe pain that lasts much longer than it should and bleeding. I am 36 and was diagnosed with endo. about 10 years ago when trying to get pregnant. We were never successful in having children - even after multiple attempts at IVF. My pain has gotten worse over the last 2 years and finally I said "uncle". I've gone through numerous types of treatments, but none work for very long. I had a D&C in Jan. 2004 to help control the bleeding - it did work some, but did nothing for the pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register