6 weeks after LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 weeks after LAVH 6 weeks after LAVH

Unread 03-23-2010, 07:21 PM
6 weeks after LAVH

Well, my first post here will probably be a long one. I had my surgery Feb. 11 and feel well most days. I have struggled a bit with the sorrow of not bearing biological children and that has been hard to let go of. We were blessed by adoption (not sure if that is mentionable here because of sensitivity issues) but some days I get sorta weepy. Other days, I am a raging bull in a china shop. Not sure if that is nomal but it probably is. My husband has been a gem taking care of all the stuff that has to be done at home but it is really hard to look at piles of laundry so I have done some stuff that I shouldn't have. I am still having a discharge daily which I have heard is normal. I had 4 years of non stop periods. (more on than off) So when I started to have discharge after the surgery, I was pretty disappointed. Can't expect it to go away immediately I guess! I still wonder how much work is too much. Any ideas? I do thinks until I hurt which may not be the best way to do things, but what do you do when you have people dependant on you??? I know that I have annoyed the nurses at the Dr's office with the constant questions that kinda makes me feel bad, but you know, that is what they are there for right? I started taking my new medicine Metformin. I still have my ovaries and polycystic ovaries was a problem for me so now I am getting used to that med. It is the only thing that I take. I am still tired. Is that normal? Well I know that I am going on and on. Sorry ladies. Should have posted before now!!! Hope y'all are well. Blessings on your revocery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Re: 6 weeks after LAVH

It is absolutely your right to get weepy about having biological children. Don't worry about the sensitivity they are your feelings and they are real.
As long as they don't affect you living your life you are normal.

You are right, doing things until you hurt is not the best way to recovery.
I am at 7 weeks and although I feel good my stamina is still not what it used to be..yet. You have to be good to yourself. I must admit the vacuuming was the thing that bothered me the most. I told hubby the pampering will end but asked for patience. I will say the difference between week 6 and 7 was big for me. Take care, be a good patient. Tell your hubby he is doing such a good job and scale back.
Unread 03-24-2010, 07:54 AM

youngforlife,

Everything you are describing sounds completely normal. Come join us on the recovery progress report thread for some . The sisters there all had their procedures around the same time as you.

Also, when you have time, visit the check points ( 5&6 weeks).

:bunnyhug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2010, 09:57 AM

So is it normal to still have the swelling in the abodmen? How long does the abdomen stay swolen? My belt that the hospital wore out and I got a Be Band at target because I needed something immediately. How long is it recommended that we wear the band?
Thanks for the imput
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:04 AM

Thank you.. I wasn't paying attention to the post and then saw the post op 5-6 weeks. I am wanting to start doing the exercises so I was GLAD to see those! Smile.
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:15 AM

Hello Youngforlife,

My surgery was the day before yours, so our progress is similiar. I have been back to work since 30 days post op LAVH. By the end of the work day, I'm pretty beat. Last weekend I did to much and found myself swelling again. We have to remember to take it easy and take care of ourselves. We have been through alot!

I also have never been able to have children of my own. To add to that, I am adopted myself and feel the pain for not ever even looking like anyone. I have though been blessed with a beautiful step daughter we have 50% custody of and have been raising her since she was 2. (she's 6 now). But I still get weepy too with the thoughts of what it would have been like to have a child. It's absolutley OK to feel these feelings.

Please stake care of yourself and check in. This site is wonderful for support and advise.
B
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazigerl View Post
It is absolutely your right to get weepy about having biological children. Don't worry about the sensitivity they are your feelings and they are real.
As long as they don't affect you living your life you are normal.

You are right, doing things until you hurt is not the best way to recovery.
I am at 7 weeks and although I feel good my stamina is still not what it used to be..yet. You have to be good to yourself. I must admit the vacuuming was the thing that bothered me the most. I told hubby the pampering will end but asked for patience. I will say the difference between week 6 and 7 was big for me. Take care, be a good patient. Tell your hubby he is doing such a good job and scale back.
Thank you crazigerl. I will make sure to tell him. the hardest thing is to listen to my body when I have so much to do! Happy healing to you. smile!
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker13 View Post
Hello Youngforlife,

My surgery was the day before yours, so our progress is similiar. I have been back to work since 30 days post op LAVH. By the end of the work day, I'm pretty beat. Last weekend I did to much and found myself swelling again. We have to remember to take it easy and take care of ourselves. We have been through alot!

I also have never been able to have children of my own. To add to that, I am adopted myself and feel the pain for not ever even looking like anyone. I have though been blessed with a beautiful step daughter we have 50% custody of and have been raising her since she was 2. (she's 6 now). But I still get weepy too with the thoughts of what it would have been like to have a child. It's absolutley OK to feel these feelings.

Please stake care of yourself and check in. This site is wonderful for support and advise.
B
B,

People have said to me that since it wasn't abdominal it wasn't as major of a surgery. I disagree! It is also hard for me still to travel long periods of time. My husband wanted to go to Dallas to see his dad but I just couldn't stand the thought of being in the car for 6 plus hours!! EEEK!
Onto the adoption stuff.
I wondered about the whole adoption thing as well. My 8 year old was adopted from Kenya when she was 1 and she struggles now with not being "like" someone. We just tell her that she is a blessing to us and while it is hard, we do love her just the way she is because we chose her. We have also been blessed with a 4 year old. She is a whole new ball of yarn!! Both are blessings and I am thankful. Thank you for letting me know that it's normal to still grieve. I feel badly for crying about not bearing children but since I had 3 miscarriages, it seems to just be a reminder of the sorrow.
Thank you for the note. I am glad to have found this site!
T

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register