Please Help--Simultaneous Constipation Diarrhea and Gas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please Help--Simultaneous Constipation Diarrhea and Gas Please Help--Simultaneous Constipation Diarrhea and Gas

Unread 01-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Please Help--Simultaneous Constipation Diarrhea and Gas

30 days post-DaVinci and I am experencing simultaneous constipation, diarrhea, and gas. Makes for frequent and nasty trips to the restroom with litle relief. This wouldn't be a problem except I started back to work today. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I've been wearing overnight pads to take care of the "litle accidents" accompanying farts and any spotting (sigh).

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Re: Please Help--Simultaneous Constipation Diarrhea and Gas

I would ask your dr-I wonder 30 days out if it's even related to surgery. Maybe a stomach bug??? How long has this been happening?
Unread 01-09-2011, 04:42 PM

It's been going on all day and it started before I even started getting ready for work. I woke up feeling really terrible.

I've been toying with the idea of taking some Milk of Magnesia so I can clean out the system and then put myself on liquids for a couple of days. Does this sound reasonable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2011, 05:00 PM

Not sure I would do that; if its stomach bug I would let it run it's course. Eat the brat diet (-bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) and take it easy if you can. That stinks it's your first day back at work. Call the dr tomorrow and get his/her suggestion.
Unread 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM

I should also say though you know your body better than anyone -if you've done the milk of mag and liquid diet before and it worked then go for it, just be sure not to dehydrate yourself...it really sound like you have a stomach bug though...hope you feel better soon...
Unread 01-09-2011, 05:12 PM

I've never had MOM. Right now the pain and discomfort from the constipation is about a 6... it's bad enough I'd almost be happy to drink another bottle of the bowl prep.
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:15 PM

If it was me, I'd take the Milk of Magnesia now, since your main complaint seems to be severe constipation with a lot of pain. However, I don't know if you've been taking laxatives since the surgery, if you have that's something you don't want to continue long term and you need to confer with your doctor. Your doctor needs to know, and to manage your care.

Call your doctor tomorrow and let them know what's going on and what you've taken the past 30 days (meds, laxatives, tums, etc). You should also get on probiotics right away if you're not already on them. Probiotics will help a lot. Drink a lot of water and walk a lot.

It doesn't sound like the flu at all from what you're describing.
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Also might not be a bad idea to just take a sick day tomorrow so you can have a day to deal with your issue and the laxative. Also, you said you were having stool "accidents" so that's another reason.

If you have a history of IBS, Colitis, that sort of thing, prior to the surgery than it's not surprising the surgery stirred things up. Don't forget to stop at the drug store or target/walmart to pick up the probiotic.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register