TAH 1 week post hysterectomy (April 7th): How far are you walking? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 week post hysterectomy (April 7th): How far are you walking? 1 week post hysterectomy (April 7th): How far are you walking?

Unread 04-15-2016, 09:12 AM
1 week post hysterectomy (April 7th): How far are you walking?

1 week and I made it down the driveway and back.
I have a Fitbit that I'm going to wear to see how many actual steps I take, but I'm guessing right now it's between 800-1000 per day (not much considering i normally take 10,000+)
How far are you walking? Should I be walking more? I don't get winded per say: just a little tired. But I also don't want to push it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Re: How far are you walking ?

I was wondering this yesterday. The first day (Wednesday) I tried to get up and do things for myself when possible, but otherwise didn't get much walking in. Yesterday I walked more around the house and the driveway. I even walked around the block, tho that really took it out if me. Today I haven't done much (slept quite a bit), but am getting ready to venture out. I also was thinking of putting my Fitbit back on. Today I feel very weak and tired. Fine otherwise, just really weak.

Take it easy and don't do more than you feel comfortable. How is your gas pain? Do you still have quite a bit? If so, I'd say to try to walk it out more. Maybe not going further, but more often?
Unread 04-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Re: How far are you walking? 1 week post hysterectomy

I walked the halls at the hospital which is about 1 block. Wore me right out. At home I walked around the house , though not very to go and couldn't go out as it was winter and icy. I would say go slow and when you wheel tired , stop. Don't push it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2016, 12:36 PM

My dr told me that I should be walking a mile by one week, which I was able to do with no problem, I felt good and had little pain.
Unread 04-15-2016, 01:12 PM

It took me *two* weeks before I could walk a mile. :-) Basically, I walked (outside) until I just started to get tired, then headed for home. I did this 2-3 times a day, plus walking around the apartment in the course of doing this, that and the other thing.

You should be able to go for a walk, come home, rest and feel refreshed after resting. If you rest and still feel exhausted, that was too far. Go for a shorter walk next time.

Stick to flat ground at first and make shameless use of benches, retaining walls, stoops, etc if you need to sit for a moment.
Unread 04-16-2016, 05:13 PM

So I have my Fitbit on to see how much walking I was actually doing 1 week after TAH. I am around 1200 steps. That was a short walk outside and just walking around the house. So I have a base number to build on and I will try to walk a little more each day.
I wasn't as tired as I thought I was going to be. Didn't feel like I needed to nap, but I did rest afterward. I'm taking that as progress.
Thankfully the weather has finally turned and I can leave the house and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine.
Unread 04-16-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell22 View Post
...Thankfully the weather has finally turned and I can leave the house and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine.
I was lucky enough to do my recovery in June and early July. I spent as much time as I could outdoors, whether walking or just sitting (reading, sewing, etc). It helped my spirits greatly. :-)
Unread 04-17-2016, 08:35 AM

I put my fitbit back on this morning (first time since surgery). I was shocked to see my walk around the neighborhood was .9/miles! It was a tad much, but only because one little leg up all uphill. I plan to cut that leg out, circle around to flat ground, and repeat three times a day.

The biggest thing, I believe, is to get moving. You don't necessarily have to go a mile at a time. Do several small walks a day. even if it is just to the end of the drive (or what have you) and back. Do that once an hour. Do what makes sense for you. Build on it. Don't do more than feels right.
Unread 04-17-2016, 10:10 AM

I walked about 1.5 miles every day since surgery but i never did any incline and i broke that 1.5 miles up into 3 chunks. That worked better for me. Even now, 5.5 weeks later, I'm still only walking between 1 and 2 miles but I have added small inclines. Going downhill is what can end up hurting the most.
Unread 07-25-2016, 12:14 PM

Glad to see this post. My paperwork says to be up a minimum of 4 times a day and walk for 15-20 minutes. For me the walking was helpful for the gas pain and sore back. Post op days 1-3 I did about 750-1000 steps and today I've hit 1500 by mid afternoon. I don't want to push it but walking feels good. Tomorrow I'll try to head around the block. It's been too hot to be outside until today.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register