how long will i be off work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long will i be off work how long will i be off work

Unread 03-20-2003, 04:57 PM
how long will i be off work

a simple question i thought - my Dr has told me a minimum of 8 weeks and an average of 12 weeks.

I have known about this for a couple of months but waited to give my boss just 3 weeks notice (so far he's been better about it than I thought) but I have been looking forward to having the time off - especially the last couple of weeks when I thought I might be able to be a "lady that lunches" for a while. Now my surgery is out in the open all I am hearing about is other peoples quick recoveries and that they are back at work and at their desks in 3-4 weeks - my Dr has told me I can't drive for 4 weeks - how could i go back to work then as well?

Please tell me about your experiences as I am getting more confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2003, 05:11 PM
Off Work How Long?

I am 13 days post-op. I drove today for the first time and did fine. The rule for driving is usually if you no longer take pain meds and can put on brakes without grabbing belly. I am to be off work 6 weeks. I am a secretary in a ICU at our local hospital. Everyone is different in their healing. I am a middle aged grandma but have did real well. Only complication so far at all is a yeast infection from the antibiotics they put me on. I feel very blessed that all has went so well and hope yours will too. Just listen to your body and you won't go wrong!!! See you on the other side!

TAH/BSO Mar.7, anemia, flooding, clotting, HUGE uterus and fibroids and mass on left ovary.
Unread 03-20-2003, 05:16 PM
Hi lorraine

First let me say Best Wishes on you surgery.

I don't think there is a real definative recovery time as all our cases as well as our ages are different. I am 37 had a TAH,left one ovary on FEB 4. I was originally set to return to work on March 17th{6 weeks}. On my 5 week appt. my DR extended my leave to March 24th{7 weeks} and one extra week has made a world of difference physically & mentally. Also to be taken into account is the type of work you do. I am on my feet all day & lifting is involved. But, I finally feel ready. I used the term approximetely when sumitting my leave request..that way you're covered. Also I drove at 3 weeks ...DR said 10 days but I didn't feel ready.Take Care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2003, 08:44 PM

Hi

From what I've read here and from my own experience, I'd say your doctor is being very cautious about time off and time before you drive. But everybody is different and you'll see how you are as you recuperate. You may be ready to drive before four weeks. Most women seem to go back to work at 6 weeks but I'm sure many would be happy to have the extra two weeks your doctor insists on.

Joselle
Unread 03-21-2003, 06:10 AM

Hi Lorraine,
Time and again I've read in post-op about some poor sister feeling pressure or confusion because a coworker/neighbor/relative relayed a story about 'You'll be off how long?? So-and-so was up and running and back at work in (insert unrealistic time here) days/weeks!'. Please listen to your physician and try to avoid that Comparison Monster Each of us is unique, we have different needs, different levels of pain tolerance and healing time. Every surgery is unique and as is the viewpoint of the surgeon doing the operation.

You might find some more insight in this thread, particularly the part about auto insurance.

Take care and rest well,
Kathy
Unread 04-06-2003, 08:04 AM

Hi Lorraine, I had my surgery on Mar. 13th and spent 6 days in the hosp. I'm 51. I had to be given 7 units of blood over a wks time because my no. were so low. I'm on the mend but having alot of pain with movement a pulling of sorts, always constipated for lack of movement and not really eating the right things. I don't relly have too much of an appitite yet. My estimated time off from work is 6-8wks. My problem is that I don't get any pay for being out of work. This is weighing very heavily on my mind because we depend on my paycheck. The sch. I work in does'nt have disability Ins. so I can't collect anything. I'm hoping I heal fast, so when I am able to go back to work Ican feel ok doing it. If I don't start feeling better in a week or so I really don't know what. I drove for the first time 2 days ago and boy was I exhausted the rest of the day and next. We have to be good to ourselves. We had major surgery. Our bodies need time to heal and we must give it to it. The outside heals quicker then the inside. Inside we are still like raw chopmeat(sorry to say) Please write again Liz
Unread 04-06-2003, 08:46 AM

Hi Lorraine!

The important thing to remember is to ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR DR'S INSTRUCTIONS!! Just because some other ladies may be cleared by their DR's to go back to work in a short period of time doesn't mean you are expected to. Your DR knows the particulars of why and what he's going to be doing during your surgery, his instructions are what matter.

Here in the states, a lot of companies, especially larger ones, require a note from the DR saying when you may return to work, or they won't let you. There is liability involved if you return to work before you are cleared and hurt something.

Driving - again it's up to your DR. Even if he's being more cautious than other DR's may be, it is better to be safe than sorry.

And remember you only have one chance to heal correctly!

Best wishes!
Unread 04-06-2003, 01:23 PM

Everyone is different and every surgery is different. Even though 2 women have total hysterectomies their surgeries are different and are being done for different reasons.

One woman (like me) may have a simple, 45 minute surgery to remove uterous, cysts, ovaries, tubes and cervix. Snip, snip, snip, snip.

Another woman may have fibroids or endo attached, embedded onto other organs or muscles and need a lot more attention during surgery. Her surgery could be very complex and could take several hours to complete.

So the recovery times would most likely vary greatly for each.

I am now 13 days postop. I feel fantastic, have minor twinges, no fatigue whatsoever and feel better than I have in years. I have been driving a little bit since 10 days post op and asked my doctor to release me to part time work. My job does not have to be physically challenging at all. Anything that would have to be done that would be a nono will be happily done by my team. They are great guys to work with that way.

I'm one of the lucky ones who has breezed through this whole thing so far, but if it changes for some reason, I won't hesitate to
take more time off. I also haven't been pushing it by running all over town and trekking the malls. Just a trip to the doctor and a couple of other errands here and there and then back home. I can hardly wait til I do feel like running all day long.

ConnieW
TAH/BSO 3/24/2003 Cysts, Adenomyosis, Menorraghia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register