TAH No feeling for need to pee - how about you? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No feeling for need to pee - how about you? No feeling for need to pee - how about you?

Unread 06-21-2012, 01:20 PM
No feeling for need to pee - how about you?

Hi Sisters,
I am 6 days post op for TAH - I am using the loo regularly, but I have no sensation of a full bladder, does anyone else have a similar experience, please let me know as I am not sure whether this is something I need to take up with GP. Thank you for all your help, support & encouragement x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Re: No feeling for need to pee - how about you?

Hi Leicester

I have been feeling the same, or should I say not feeling anything. I called my Drs office because I have not been able to urinate as pre-surgery ever. Somedays I have to remind myself of the hours that have been by and go to the bathroom, because I don't feel the urge to urinate anymore.

They did an urine analysis and found some blood, which is sign of infection, but it was not until my back pain was bad enough to make me call them. Previous to the back pain I had no other symptoms, neither the "constant urge to urinate" characteristic if the UTI.

You may want to call your Dr and explain it before it becomes a problem. Hope you find your answer and feel better. By the way, I am taking the medication, going every hour or so but never feel the urge anyways.
Unread 06-21-2012, 06:14 PM

For me, it doesn't really feel like I have to go much, and then when I go, I have a full bladder. I had a prolapse so I think I was just so used to the pressure down there. Now, I am paying more attention to timing, and it is better. I used to go to the bathroom probably twice an hour. Now, I try to make sure I go every couple of hours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2012, 06:32 PM

I did not have any urge to pee either. I asked my nurse in the hospital and she said it could take up to 2 months for the "urge to come back" she said it was normal after the kidneys are put to sleep, they are slow to respond. Thats is probably why UTI's are so common after a hysterectomy. I set my alarm and made myself go every 3 hours. My urge has come back now, maybe not as strong, but I can tell when I have to go, I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow. I think it came back after about 1 1/2 weeks.
Unread 06-21-2012, 06:34 PM

Also, here is a little trick.. If you are having trouble emptying your bladder becasue it doesnt feel full. Take a straw with you into the bathroom, when you sit on the toilet place the straw in your mouth, and blow gently thru it as you start to urinate. Don't ask me why, but it makes your muscles push down on your bladder and you go with ease. If you dont have a straw, just pretend you do, and blow out as if you had a straw in your mouth. It works!
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:10 PM

I am nine days post op and have the same thing, I am drinking plenty of water, but no urge to "go". However, since the fibroid they took out was the size of a baby's head and pressing on my bladder, I think it may just be that I don't need to go all the time like before. I have a vague feeling, but nothing like it was. TBH, it's an improvement on being on the lookout for a toilet every hour
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:16 PM

My enlarged uterus had been pressing on my bladder making me feel like I needed to tinkle every 15 minutes. Now that my uterus is gone and my bladder is lifted, I no longer have that urge. I rarely feel like my bladder is full and I have to remind myself to go potty every few hours.
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:30 PM

Right after my surgery I did not have the urge to go to the bathroom either When I forgot to go and had a full bladder, I would feel discomfort and a full feeling The urge to go did come back after a few weeks.
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:36 PM

This is totally normal. The urge didn't return for about two months for me although I distinctly remember having to go desperately in the hospital after they took my catheter out. I guess it was all the IV fluids. I lost the sensation once I got home. I wondered at one point if it ever would come back but it did. My tummy getting sore and cramping was my body's message to get to the bathroom. After a while, I just learned to go regularly. Give yourself time to heal.
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:45 AM

Thank you Danni, I am so pleased to hear that.
Your message is a real boost x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register