TAH 11 days post hysterectomy - ABSCESS, most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

11 days post hysterectomy - ABSCESS, most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life 11 days post hysterectomy - ABSCESS, most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life

Unread 04-30-2016, 07:46 AM
11 days post hysterectomy - ABSCESS, most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life

Hi Sisters,

I could really use some kind words.... I'm 11 days post up from a TAH and tubes removed and have been admitted back into the hospital Tuesday night. It all started with intense pain that no oral pain meds, even Dilaudid could touch. So I had a CT and an X-RAY done and was told that I have an approximately 4 cm abscess in my pelvis. I have been running a fever since Sunday and I'm in tears almost all day everyday. The doctors started me on 3 different kinds of iv antibiotics and so far nothing has improved. I'm supposed to see another Radiologist and Inf. Disease Doc today to see if the abscess is in an area that could be drained.... I'm absolutely terrified and can't handle the pain anymore.... Did any of you experience something similar like this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Re: 11 days post up - ABSCESS, most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life

An abscess sounds so painful! Did the doctor say what caused it? I hope your doctor finds a solution for you soon! Wish I had some advice for you, but I will be supporting a sister with prayer during this difficult time.
Unread 04-30-2016, 08:02 AM
Re: 11 days post up - ABSCESS, most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life

I'm so sorry.

I have no experience with this. My sister had a breast abscess after nursing that went undiagnosed too long and she said it was 100 times more painful than anything ever. Had to have surgery.

I'm glad they are trying to get this under control for you. I hope you have some relief soon.

Thinking of you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2016, 08:42 AM

Please ask your nurses to advocate for you to ask for better pain control, if your Dr has already seen you and gone. There should be someone on call. Be sure when you do see your Dr that you tell him your pain is not controlled. Try to be as specific as you can about your pain level, and ask about the pain med plan to see if you are getting all the various meds you may have ordered, and getting them at the times available. This seems like too much pain for being in the hospital, they do have the resources to help you. I hope they get the infection under control fast, but the pain should be addressed, too.
Unread 04-30-2016, 09:04 AM
11 days post hysterectomy - ABSCESS, most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyown View Post
Please ask your nurses to advocate for you to ask for better pain control, if your Dr has already seen you and gone. There should be someone on call. Be sure when you do see your Dr that you tell him your pain is not controlled. Try to be as specific as you can about your pain level, and ask about the pain med plan to see if you are getting all the various meds you may have ordered, and getting them at the times available. This seems like too much pain for being in the hospital, they do have the resources to help you. I hope they get the infection under control fast, but the pain should be addressed, too.
Thank you and I just talked to my nurse about that. They originally had me on iv dilaudid 1 mg every 2 hours. Than somebody decided it was time for oral dilaudid which at 2 mg's did absolutely nothing. So now I'm back on iv but every 3 hours which w my pain level isn't enough. I was screaming and crying for 3 hours in pain, it feels like hot constant knife stabs in my abdomen, radiates down my right leg and up my back.... I don't wish this on anybody, this is pure torture....
Unread 04-30-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari3208 View Post
An abscess sounds so painful! Did the doctor say what caused it? I hope your doctor finds a solution for you soon! Wish I had some advice for you, but I will be supporting a sister with prayer during this difficult time.
Thank you, I'm so scared as my WBC keeps going up instead of down....
Unread 04-30-2016, 09:34 AM

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I experienced the same, but quite quickly after surgery. My partial hysterectomy was March 25th. I was released from the hospital on the 27th. That night I had a low grade fever. Dr gave me antibiotics on the 28th, but the fever persisted. By the night of the 31st, my fever was 101 and my 1 week post op was scheduled for April 1st, so I figured I would wait till morning. She admitted me to the hospital right away, did a CT and found a 4 cm abscess in my abdomen. They pumped me with 2 separate IV antibiotics every 8 hours for 48 hours and did another CT. The abscess shrunk to half the size. (I wish I could give you the names of the antibiotics, but my husband threw that paperwork away.) I was sent home after that with the same 2 antibiotics in pill form and I have recovered quite well. It was pretty scary though because I felt like death. Had the antibiotics not done the job, their next plan was to go in and drain the fluid to determine what exactly it was and what antibiotics it would be sensitive to. I will pray they figure it out for you! I wish I had more to offer.
Unread 04-30-2016, 09:48 AM

I hope this radiologist and Inf Disease doctor handles it soon and gives you some relief.
Please keep us posted.
Unread 04-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Re: 11 days post hysterectomy - ABSCESS, most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life

I had a similar experience a few years prior to my hysterectomy. Was in so much pain, high fever, even hydrocodone would not work, doc sent me to the ER right away. I had a kidney infection and after 4 days at hospital, despite IV antibiotics, morphine, I was getting worse, my vitals were going down, they had to put me on Xanax as I was getting panic attacks from the pain, they also brought oxygen support, of course I cannot remember everything from the first 5 days, definitely wouldn't have been to use my phone, barely remembered my name.
On Christmas Day, the urologist decided to puncture and drain the cyst in my kidney (had it since I was a kid).
A few days later, I started to feel better.
Basically my cyst was full of the E. coli bacteria and dispensing it in my kidney, antibiotics were useless.
48 hours away from not making it.
Hysterectomy was a ride in the park in comparison.

Hope you feel better soon
Unread 04-30-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPMS View Post
I had a similar experience a few years prior to my hysterectomy. Was in so much pain, high fever, even hydrocodone would not work, doc sent me to the ER right away. I had a kidney infection and after 4 days at hospital, despite IV antibiotics, morphine, I was getting worse, my vitals were going down, they had to put me on Xanax as I was getting panic attacks from the pain, they also brought oxygen support, of course I cannot remember everything from the first 5 days, definitely wouldn't have been to use my phone, barely remembered my name.
On Christmas Day, the urologist decided to puncture and drain the cyst in my kidney (had it since I was a kid).
A few days later, I started to feel better.
Basically my cyst was full of the E. coli bacteria and dispensing it in my kidney, antibiotics were useless.
48 hours away from not making it.
Hysterectomy was a ride in the park in comparison.

Hope you feel better soon
Thank you. They switched and added some pain meds around for me today and I think that the Radiologist is going to try to drain the abscess if he can access it. Doctor also ordered different Antibiotics since nothing changed from taking the other ones.... Sorry to hear that you had such a horrible infection as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register