Post op with small kids??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op with small kids??? Post op with small kids???

Unread 07-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Post op with small kids???

Hello all... I was just wondering if anyone with small children (mine are 2.5 and 1 years) have had a hyst. I am scheduled for August 11th and my biggest concern is not about the surgery itself but of what will happen post op. We have someone that will be taking the girls for the first 5 days but after that they will be home. Now my DH will be off for the first week but then he has to go back to work and I really don't have much for help after that. So it brings me to the point... I am not sure how to get my 1 yr old up and down the stairs and in and out of her crib on my own with the 10 pound weight restrictions. Has anyone else had to do this? Please pass along any suggestions if you can. Thank you so much!

Shaya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2006, 09:57 AM

You Really Should Get Help For The Kids For At Least 3 Weeks..you Should Lift Nothing.... Maybe A Local Teenager Can Come Over During The Day..good Luck
Unread 07-18-2006, 10:07 AM

Thanks for responding. I have asked around but because everyone works through the day I really don't have much choice. We just moved here not long ago and I don't know any of the people around here. My Step sisters are going to try and get in here as often as possible but I am starting to rethink my decision. When I made it I thought people would be more willing to help. Now I am finding I am quite alone in this. I will have to find out if there is any teenagers around her for sure. Maybe someone has posted a babysitting flyer at the local variety store or something. Thanks again.

Shaya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2006, 10:30 AM

Do You Have A Portable Play Pen..your Hubby Can Make Sure You Comfy On The Couch,have Everything You Need Down Stairs.put The Baby In The Play Pen,so You Dont Have To Carry Her,then You Can Sit In The Chair Next To Her To Remove Her Tothe Floor To Play.do You Have A Villag Hall,maybe They Have A Comunity Center,with Names Of Teens Who Have Been Thru Their Babysitting Classes Who They Could Recomend To Help...
Unread 07-18-2006, 11:04 AM

I'm with you...I also have 2 kids (4 & 7 so alittle older), but really no one to help me either. A few hints I've learned over the years that I can offer...Instead of naps in the crib, have you thought of making it a "party" with both kids and letting them sleep in sleeping bags on the floor in a room close to you. I've done this with my kids (got the idea from grandma) and they love it! When they wake up they can just get up by themselves. Don't be too hard on yourself. It's amazing, when you think you can't do something you end up finding a different way that works. Try to have a positive outlook, remember it's only temporary, and you'll feel so much better when it's all done! Good luck with everything! I'll be thinking of you!
Unread 07-18-2006, 11:08 AM

I wish I were close -- I would love to help out with your babies!! That being said-- I'm sure there are others near you who would be happy to help--you just need to find them. Keep looking! And remember, this may not seem like a perfect time in your children's life for you to have surgery but really it is... I so regret the time I lost with my kids (now 22, 20 and 15) when they were little because I was in pain or bleeding so badly I couldn't leave the house or too tired to get out and about because of anemia. Your kids will never remember that you had surgery but they will remember all the great fun you had after.
Unread 07-18-2006, 11:48 AM

Do you have a daycare or preschool in your area? You could ask them if they have any recommendations for teens or preteens to help you while you recover. There may even be church daycares or preschools that could offer some help. The newspaper may have some ads as well.

My boys were 3 and 5 when I had my hyst so lifting wasn't much of an issue. However, I had to have a babysitter for me, dr's orders, so my MIL helped out with my and the boys, every word day for weeks. As we live in a two story house, my DH had to get me up and carry me down the stairs each day before he left. Could your DH get you and your baby downstairs each morning before he leaves? Then you could avoid the stairs until he is home in the evening. Instead of a playpen or crib (which will be difficult because of the bending and lifting) can you put up a gate and keep the baby in one "child friendly" room once you are downstairs? Pallets on the floor for a "party" sound like a great idea.

Many best wishes to you as you make arrangements for your family.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register