Anybody have multiple procedures at once? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody have multiple procedures at once? Anybody have multiple procedures at once?

Unread 11-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Re: Anybody have multiple procedures at once?

smurfskm I hope things go well for you on Monday. Are you having an abdominal or vaginal surgery for the repair. Let me know how you are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2011, 04:58 PM

Thankfully all vaginal which is why I am hoping to be back at work after 2 weeks. Good Luck to you too - will keep an eye out on how you are doing.
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:18 AM

hi just wanted to say i had mult on the 14 so im about a week and and half after im still learning feeling better now i was also very scared but u will be ok..i belive in the fact that we dont go in there alone if he brings u to it he will see u thru it...i dont know a whole lot but best advice i can give is make sure your have a big fluffy pillow or somthing to hold on the way home after surg rest.....take anyform of help u will need it hugs and best wishes it will be fine
Unread 11-25-2011, 11:21 AM

Thank you. I'm just nervous, and I think my support group is already tired of hearing about it, lol. {{{hugs}}}
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:26 PM

Hang in there, ladies! The waiting is the hard part!

I had my first surgery March 2, a VH with repairs and bladder sling. Did well, only hitch was I had to wear a catheter home for 10 days. Not too bad-I didn't have to get up to pee! I was supposed to have my 2nd surgery two weeks later, but had a bladder infection, and had to wait 4 more weeks. Fast forward to May 3 and I had a ABSO with remaining repairs (all to correct a stage 4 prolapse). Was supposed to be DaVinci, but there were too many adhesions and scar tissue, so DR opted to do the abdominal. Hindsight, I would have done the entire procedure in one abdominal surgery.

I never had a pain pump-just pain pills by mouth, and a Torodol shot every 6 hours when my nurse remembered. I always had to ask for them! I won't say it didn't hurt, but each time I got up, it got better. I feel it does take longer to heal because of all the repairs along with the hyst. I was given a 12 week recovery period-no lifting, bending, stooping-nothing but walking as I was able. This is because, according to my DR it takes 12 weeks for the body to heal to 80%. This healing is what helps your body to keep these repairs. The scar tissue actually holds the mesh, stitches, or whatever your DR uses in place. The rectocele was the one repair that bothered me longest. Not a pain, just a dull ache. Use a dougnut pillow, and sit on a heating pad. Will help sooo much. Otherwise, just lots of rest, good nutrition, and bowel habits. Use stool softners if ok'd by your DR. They are not habit forming, and will help soften things up-they do not make you go. If you haven't had a BM by the fourth day past surgery, ask your DR what laxative he would recommend. Mine said Milk of Magnesia. Worked like a charm. DO NOT push or strain. Drink, drink, drink-keep your bladder happy.

Surgery isn't fun, but as I said, the wait is the worst. Each day the pain lessens, and the best thing you can do is get up, walk around. Do this as often as you can. You don't have to run a marathon, but walking really does promote healing.

I am 60 years old, and I am feeling great! Other than a little residule pain in my incision site, I feel better than I did before surgery. Although they told me a prolapse isn't life threatening, I had no quality of life with it. I felt like I had a grapefruit between my legs. I used a pessary which made it better, but it was a hassle, and I had to pee constantly. I am a breast cancer survivor- 2 years- and it just made sense to me to do the total hysterectomy. My oncologists agreed. It was not an easy decision to make. It is life altering, but at my age I really don't think I am missing any of those girl parts.

So, I will tell you I am doing wonderful and feeling great! Let yourself heal is the one piece of advice that I feel is the most important. You can only heal once. Give yourself time to do it right. Along with the first 12 weeks, I added an extra 6 weeks because of the delay in the second surgery. Time passed very quickly, and I feel this is what helped me to heal so well. I would do it again in a heartbeat, even knowing what I would be facing.

I wish you all well in your journey, and you will be in my prayers. See you on the other side! Heal well, sisters!
Unread 11-26-2011, 01:04 AM

Hello ladies... I am new here. My procedure is 12/5/11: Rectocele, Cystocele w/sling & TVH. The doctor said it will mostly feel like abdominal cramping initially - combined with how it felt recovering from an episiotomy. She said it would be one day up - the next day down for a while - with a total of 8 weeks recovery to get back to normal. My concern is getting upstairs where my bedroom is post-op. Don't want to bust a stitch. I guess once I am up there it is for good. Am going to read through these posts to get more feedback. Grateful for this site.
Unread 11-26-2011, 06:21 AM

Kristilou thanks for sharing your insight =)
I've got a pretty good plan(I hope) for my initial recovery period, this site has been INVALUABLE for my obsessive planning, lol. It seems whatever is on my mind ATM is what I'm most worried about! First, it was missing work, then it was recovery pain, then it was length of recovery, etc. Now I'm just ready to get it over with. My work entails long periods of standing, interspersed with bending, turning, pulling, and reaching =( So I'm hoping my 6 weeks off is enough =(
Knowing lots of other ladies survive and thrive after this is helping a lot, and knowing that somewhere, someone has been through just what I am about to, and can inspire me, through words of encouragement, is going to get me past all this worry!!!
Elyce777, you're a week ahead of me, I'll be thinking of you, and wish you luck =)
Cindy
Unread 11-26-2011, 05:42 PM

Thank you, Cindy!
And I will be thinking of you as well - and praying for you.
I'll check in and let you know how it went.

In the meantime, like you, I am putting the plan together both to prepare for the surgery and recovery. Perusing the great info here on this site - and getting mentally geared up!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register