Back To Work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Back To Work

I have some real concerns about me going to work too soon. I am freaked out because during my pre-op visit the doctor told me I could go back to work at 6 weeks. I told him what my jobs were. YIKES!
I am a massage therapist and esthetician. Massage involves standing, bending, squatting, and leaning with great force into people. When I have a massage shift, massages are either 60 or 90 minutes with 15-minute breaks in-between during which I change sheets and clean up, get ready for the next massage. Shifts are 6 hours long with a 45-minute commute in each direction for me.
When I work an esthetician shift, I am sitting and leaning over to get towels out of the hot cabby, leaning up and down and sideways getting product off shelves while sitting on a chair with wheels. I am pulling equipment back and forth (steamer machine) wax pot table with wheels while sitting. These shifts are typically 8 hours long, facials are 75 minutes long, 15 minutes in-between to clean up, change the sheets, get ready for the next facial, and get to the front desk at a brisk walk down the hall, through the women’s locker room to pull product for sale, and then back to greet the next guest and start the next facial. I have a 45-minute lunch. I have a 45-minute commute in both directions. Oh, I forgot, I also have a 10-minute walk up a gentle incline from the parking lot to the spa and back at the end of the day. Being a massage therapist and knowing a bit about anatomy, I have serious doubts about going back to work at 6 weeks. Is there anybody out there with a job this physically demanding who can share about this?
I am having a VH with anterior/posterior repairs, and some kind of hammock made from my own connective tissue to support a prolasped bladder and lower bowel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Back To Work

I don't have a physically demanding job. I went back to work at 7 weeks post-op and only half days at that! If I was in your position, I'd give myself at the very least 8 weeks. But as we all heal differently, you can really only make that decision yourself. I would suggest whatever time period you chose to stay away from work,that when you return, work only half days if your employer allows it. That way you will really be able to gauge what you can physically handle to make it safely to and from work. The commute itself is a cause for the exhaustion, trust me on that one!
Unread 05-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Back To Work

I think that you are the only one who will be able to determine when you are up to returning to work. Take the time the dr has suggested and then listen to your body and make the decision that is best for YOU

The half day suggestion sounds good to me. Will your boss work with you on that? Maybe give you a bit longer between sessions if possible?

Best wishes.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Back To Work

I think what Jean suggested is a great idea - I would prepare your employer that you will try and come back 1/2 time at 6 weeks. Also, it does make sense that maybe a longer time between clients would be helpful (maybe you could lay down somewhere for a few minutes and rest). It seems a lasting effect of surgery is the tiredness and any extra rest you can get to fuel yourself back up would have to be helpful. I would also let them know, however, that there is a possibility you might be out for 8 weeks, depending on how you recover. I did go back to work part-time at 4 weeks and that was way too soon - and I don't have a physically strenuous job. Mariah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register