3 weeks post op, bald spot on back of my head! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks post op, bald spot on back of my head! 3 weeks post op, bald spot on back of my head!

Unread 02-09-2011, 02:36 PM
3 weeks post op, bald spot on back of my head!

Hello,
I had a partial hysterectomy, left cervix and ovaries. I also had repairs done due to prolapse (which is why I had the hysterectomy in the first place) I was in surgery of 7 hours, a lot of anesthesia and a lot of morephine. I came home late at night the day after the surgery. The next day I noticed that the back of my head hurt. I felt back there and there was a large bump and it felt a little scabby. I didn;t think much of it, figured that hwatever happened happened when I was under and it would just heal.
3 weeks out and I'm getting my hair done and my stylist points out that I have a half dollar sized bald spot on the back of my head, same area I had this painful bump. The skin is super smooth, no hait whatsoever. I'm very distressed and I am going to call my surgeon tomorrow. Anyone know what this could be?
Thanks,
Barbara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Re: 3 weeks post op, bald spot on back of my head!

Barbara,
Hair loss after surgery is not uncommon. Not sure about the bump. Could you have bumped your head and not realized it?

Unread 02-12-2011, 02:12 AM

I have lost tons of hair as well. My surgery was Jan 11th I am now 4wks post op and I had lost so much hair....my hospital bed pillow was covered with my hair as well as here at home. I would run my fingers through my hair and it was falling out something terrible. It has slowed down a bit now however. I am thinking it has something to do with the surgery and all the meds and our bodies going into some sort of shock? May God bless you and hope your recovery is uneventful. *Hugs*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2011, 06:28 PM

I had surgery today, sitting in recovery for about 2 hours I noticed a huge knot on my head that was not there prior. I asked the nurse about it she just laughed and said I didn't do it...... Noone ever checked it I honestly thought maybe they dropped me or something, but after reading this seems like something medical/surgical may occur in some patients? Please post what your DR tells you at your post opt. appt.
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:23 PM

I just googled "bald spot after surgery" and got a few hits. Apparently, it is a pressure sore that develops from your head being in the same position during a lengthy surgery. The hair will grow back eventually but it might take a few months.
Unread 05-03-2011, 08:48 PM

I've had that same smooth baldness happen to me twice in the same area at the back of my head near the bottom center, a half dollar size also. When it happened to me, it was not during surgery. I went to a doctor and it was diagnosed as alopecia ariata caused by stress. He gave me a prescription for a steroid lotion and eventually the hair grew back. Don't worry, it's not permanent.

Happy Healing to you!!!
Unread 05-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Yes,
Thanks for all of the replies. Looks like it was a pressure issue, and my surgery last for 7 hours, so that was plenty of time for that pressure to cause injury. I am happy to report that 10 weeks out and the hair is starting to grow back. Phew!
Unread 05-28-2011, 08:23 AM
3 weeks post op, bald spot on back of my head!

OMG! Thank u for this post! I am about 4 weeks postop TAH. My surgery lasted 6 hours d/t unexpected complications when the doc opened me up. Anyway I too came home with pain in the back of my head in one spot, thought they might have banged it when transferring me. I have very short hair, and wore a scarve most of the time those first weeks. I too went to the barber and she screamed and showed me a quarter sized bald spot in that spot. I screamed! The area has gotten bigger, like 2 qrts. My sister is ready to sue, but I am soooo happy to have found these posts! I have hope and reassurance. Going to go buy a wig and wait for hair to grow back! Thanks
Unread 05-30-2011, 12:09 AM

Yes, my hair has completely grown back. I think the roots were injured along with the hair and they took time to heal. Don't worry!
Unread 05-30-2011, 02:33 PM

I had that same dandruffy feeling bump at least twice in my life. Both times, I've lost my hair in large spots and the skin became smooth. The first time was during a stressful time in my life. This time, it has come out around the same time I started filling tired and by blood counts were low. The spot that I have now has not become bigger since the surgery (May 16th). In fact, I think there is peach fuzz on the outskirts of my spot! It's been a long time but I am glad to have some hair coming back.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register