Surgeon INSISTS On Moving Surgery To Different Hospital / & Date - UPDATED | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgeon INSISTS On Moving Surgery To Different Hospital / & Date - UPDATED Surgeon INSISTS On Moving Surgery To Different Hospital / & Date - UPDATED

Unread 02-17-2016, 08:07 AM
Surgeon INSISTS On Moving Surgery To Different Hospital / & Date - UPDATED

I feel like a bomb was dropped on me this afternoon. I came out of an appointment, to get a voice mail msg. from my surgeon, saying he was moving my surgery from the local hospital, to a bigger one about 60 miles away...and he didn't of course know the new date, but March & April have been mentioned .

I appreciate greatly, his concern that this anesthesia dept. wouldn't be prepared to handle my pain issues, esp. if I was in the hospital 2-3 days.

LASTLY, I'm in immense pain, I don't know if I can stand it. And now I'll have to RE-DO (re-pay for)all the pre-surgery testing, blood, EKG, physical, etc. It's *so* painful for me to drive 120 miles round trip each time, to get this done.

Oh well, its a done deal, even though I feel like the rug was pulled out from under me - I had cancelled appt.'s & on & on. So, putting my focus on the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2016, 08:16 AM
Re: Surgeon INSISTS On Moving Surgery To Different Hospital / & Date :(

Quote:
And now I'll have to RE-DO (re-pay for)all the pre-surgery testing, blood, EKG, physical, etc. It's *so* painful for me to drive 120 miles round trip each time, to get this done.
That would be frustrating. Isn't there any way the results of at least some of the pre-surgery tests could be shared with the new hospital?
Unread 02-17-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH25 View Post
That would be frustrating. Isn't there any way the results of at least some of the pre-surgery tests could be shared with the new hospital?
Nope! They can't share results. Especially because my surgeon had requested that an anesthesiologist himself see me at this first Hospital pre op, and they still sent just a PA. I know they're similar I know.
But it really upset my surgeon he wanted the anesthesiologist and requested him there because of the complexity of my case and my pain.
So he wants me to definitely absolutely positively see the anesthesiologist himself at in Albuquerque.
I dread driving down there because it is so painful: to my legs, my back, my arms. I don't have any friends since I've been disabled for so long and the one family member I do have here is my older sister who is 56, whom I've been caretaking for for quite a while and it looks like she has early onset dementia; ive been trying to get her formal diagnoses for months now. She crashed her car into a city bus this past July, so no there's no family and no friends to help us out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2016, 09:49 AM

((((Hugs))))) It sounds like your Dr is fighting to make sure you get the best care. Trust your Dr.
Unread 02-17-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesarapp View Post
((((Hugs))))) It sounds like your Dr is fighting to make sure you get the best care. Trust your Dr.
Thank you, so much. I'm kinda devastated, but I know you're right.⛅ 👭
Unread 02-17-2016, 03:32 PM

Oh nooo, how frustrating. I'm sorry you have to go through this. But on the plus side, at least you will be in great hands. Hold on, one breath at a time.
Unread 02-17-2016, 06:36 PM

Not to add to your worries, but you're going to have to line up someone to drive you home to Santa Fe after surgery, as you won't be able to do that yourself. So maybe when you're looking into this you could try and set up a ride for your pre-op visit as well?
Unread 02-17-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Not to add to your worries, but you're going to have to line up someone to drive you home to Santa Fe after surgery, as you won't be able to do that yourself. So maybe when you're looking into this you could try and set up a ride for your pre-op visit as well?
Thanks, & yes, you're correct. Luckily, my hubby is being very supportive. My surgery was supposed to be on a Friday and hopefully I would go home on Saturday and then we play it by ear how much Support I would need that week...because we live 60 miles away from where he works also, he works in Albuquerque and makes that round trip drive everyday.

On the downside I have no idea, I'm speechless as to how we're going to arrange things and I guess I'll only see him briefly at the hospital, an hour a day? The doc's prepared if i have to stay 2-4 days. Ill see him maybe between work or something. We have 4 pets back home in Santa Fe. I don't know I just don't know
Unread 02-18-2016, 01:39 AM

That is a lot to process especially when you knew where you were going and had the date already scheduled.

For me it took four months to get a surgery date and I was in a lot of pain back then.

I'm grateful that I was given a Lupron shot that stopped the bleeding and pain but it did out me in a chemical menopause.

I hope that you have the resources to pay for all of those tests as they can add up quick.

It is a major inconvenience but the doctor is looking out for you so you have to find the bright side of it even though your in pain.

Let's hope that he or she can give you something to get you by u tip your new surgery date.

Keep us posted and good luck! 🍀
Unread 02-18-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujaded View Post
...The doc's prepared if i have to stay 2-4 days. Ill see him maybe between work or something. We have 4 pets back home in Santa Fe. I don't know I just don't know
If you've got a 60-mile ride home, you're better off staying at the hospital a couple/few days before attempting it.

You kind of have to play it by ear when it comes to release date and time. My surgery hospital was about 94 miles away from where I live. I was quoted a 3-4 day hospital stay. A friend who lives in my surgery city offered to drive me home. I checked with her to make sure she was okay without knowing ahead of time exactly when I'd be released.

As things worked out, my doc told me on the second day that I was doing well and could probably go home the next day. I told my friend that when she came by to visit. When she came by the next day, early in the afternoon, I was wearing regular clothes, had repacked my bag and was just waiting for one final check-in with the nurses.

Would your husband be able to get off work early the day you're released? Alternatively, if he can't get off early, the hospital pretty much has to let you hang out there until he shows up. It's not as if they can boot you out the door!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register