Hysterectomy canceled - must see cardiologist and redo PT IRN blood test - stressed, worried and confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy canceled - must see cardiologist and redo PT IRN  blood test - stressed, worried and confused Hysterectomy canceled - must see cardiologist and redo PT IRN blood test - stressed, worried and confused

Unread 03-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Hysterectomy canceled - must see cardiologist and redo PT IRN blood test - stressed, worried and confused

I'm so down depressed weepy - you name it. I had Cystocele prolapse, vaginal vault repair, TLH and BSO scheduled for the 14th.

Yesterday I got a call from my PCP stating they want me to see a cardiologist due to my ekg is abnormal and it doesn't match my last one ( earlier one was done in 2014 which was also considered abnormal but I was still cleared for knee surgery). The nurse said my heart rhythm didn't match the old one, what ever that means. ALSO they ordered a repeat PT-INR test because my blood was slow to clot.

I felt like I was past all the obstacles once I get past Tuesday (doc said I'd be contacted by then if anything was going to cause a problem). So this call yesterday was a big fat surprise. I've spent so much time obsessing, crying and using "dr google" these past 24 hrs I'm embarrassed. I feel like I ran face first into a brick wall. Has anyone else had something like this happen and if so what was your outcome. I'm having a major pity party and I'm scared and I could use some support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Hysterectomy canceled - must see cardiologist and redo PT IRN blood test - stressed, worried and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by randbs View Post
I'm so down depressed weepy - you name it. I had Cystocele prolapse, vaginal vault repair, TLH and BSO scheduled for the 14th.

Yesterday I got a call from my PCP stating they want me to see a cardiologist due to my ekg is abnormal and it doesn't match my last one ( earlier one was done in 2014 which was also considered abnormal but I was still cleared for knee surgery). The nurse said my heart rhythm didn't match the old one, what ever that means. ALSO they ordered a repeat PT-INR test because my blood was slow to clot.

I felt like I was past all the obstacles once I get past Tuesday (doc said I'd be contacted by then if anything was going to cause a problem). So this call yesterday was a big fat surprise. I've spent so much time obsessing, crying and using "dr google" these past 24 hrs I'm embarrassed. I feel like I ran face first into a brick wall. Has anyone else had something like this happen and if so what was your outcome. I'm having a major pity party and I'm scared and I could use some support.
You can't help it. Those are things beyond your control. The best thing to do is just get everything worked out so you are healthy and it is safe for you to have surgery.

During/after my surgery, my BP and heart rate spiked drastically. I have high blood pressure but not usually that high! I ended up staying an extra night in the hospital because of it and it was very scary. They did 2 ekgs and an ultrasound of my heart. Everything was fine and I asked if we had done it prior, would it have made a difference and they said no. They believe it was a result of having surgery.

It is in your best interest and the hospitals interest to make sure you are well enough for surgery. I am sure they will figure everything out and you'll be good to go. No one likes surprises, it's better to be prepared.

Hang in there just a buy longer! It'll work out!
Unread 03-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Re: Surgery canceled - must see cardiologist and redo PT IRN blood test - stressed, worried and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by randbs View Post
...Yesterday I got a call from my PCP stating they want me to see a cardiologist due to my ekg is abnormal and it doesn't match my last one ( earlier one was done in 2014 which was also considered abnormal but I was still cleared for knee surgery). The nurse said my heart rhythm didn't match the old one, what ever that means...
Was the EKG you had in 2014 the first one you'd ever had? The thing is, no one's body is perfectly normal. Say they do an EKG on you and it's the first one you've ever had. It's abnormal but not critically so, and you're otherwise healthy. OK, maybe your heart rhythm's been that way your whole life. Maybe that's your personal "normal."

But if they do a second EKG a few years later and it's abnormal in a different way, then it's more likely that some sort of progressive condition is taking place. A cardiologist needs to look into it further to determine whether or not it's safe for you to be put under.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2017, 03:22 AM
Re: Surgery canceled - must see cardiologist and redo PT IRN blood test - stressed, worried and confused

My surgery has been rescheduled from the 14th to the 27th and the stress is overwhelming. My friends remind me that it's Gods plan not mine. Try and relax and trust the process. It's better to be overly cautious then miss a heart issue. Praying for your issues to be resolved, but mostly that you are safe for surgery.
Unread 03-11-2017, 07:21 AM
Re: Hysterectomy canceled - must see cardiologist and redo PT IRN blood test - stressed, worried and confused

An update - the doctors office called and said my clotting test came back normal! They said the first test result must have been a lab error - :
Unread 03-11-2017, 07:39 AM
Re: Hysterectomy canceled - must see cardiologist and redo PT IRN blood test - stressed, worried and confused

Great news on the clotting test! :-)

Surgeons get very picky about blood and clotting before surgery. For example, it's a routine precaution to tell patients not to take aspirin or NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naproxen) during the week before surgery because they interfere with the blood's ability to clot.
Unread 03-15-2017, 11:47 AM

Seeing the cardiologist tomorrow @ 9:30 and I'm a nervous wreck. Everything little twinge or ache the first thing i think - is this a sign of heart disease or is it because I slept funny on my shoulder. My anxiety is at an all time high. Fluttering in my chest, acid reflux, headache. I feel like such a baby, I'm to teary I start crying for no reason. I'll be a blubbering fool tomorrow I can just see it. She's going to think I'm overly emotional and crazy.
My mother used her HBP to control us - she'd sit at the kitchen table with a BP cuff on her wrist and a glass of wine next to her and let us all know how we were causing her BP to soar (she refused to take her meds). She had CHF brought on by alcoholism- but my parents hid the issue of her alcohol consumption being a major factor in her CHF until her liver and kidneys failed - then all the pieces of the puzzle fit. To this day I doubt my father would be honest with me. Heart and blood pressure issues make me overreact and very fearful.
I don't know why I decided to blabber on like this - maybe it's the anonymity of the internet. I could really use some positive thoughts sent my way. I'm sorry - now I'm thinking this post may be inappropriate for this site. If it is please accept my apologies.
Unread 03-15-2017, 11:51 AM

No, it's not at all inappropriate. Everyone sometimes needs a hug - or a shoulder to cry on, even if it's through the Internet.

I also don't think the cardiologist will think you're crazy. You've got a family history of HBP and CHF, you're facing major surgery (your hysterectomy) and you've been sent to see a cardiologist because something's a bit odd with your heart rhythms. *Most* people would "emotional" under those circumstances. There's nothing wrong with being emotional.

I'm sending your my very best wishes for a good visit tomorrow. :-)
Unread 03-15-2017, 12:07 PM

Thank you
Unread 03-16-2017, 10:50 AM

I have surgical clearance cardiologist said I had a slightly elongated QT and some palpitations. She thinks one of the meds I take is the cause for the QT issue. She'll inform the hospital not to give me any meds that could make it worse (some anti nausea drugs and antibiotics) but she said I'm good to go.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register