Anyone else have trouble with IV site?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else have trouble with IV site?? Anyone else have trouble with IV site??

Unread 11-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Anyone else have trouble with IV site??

My surgery was November 16. They had to try 4 times til they got an IV in me. Now at a week later the spot they tried first is still very sore. The nurse told me it could take up to 6 weeks to heal. That just seems like something more is wrong then. I've had 2 other people tell me that if its still sore than something is wrong as it shouldn't take more than a few days to heal. Anyone else have trouble like this??? If so what did you have to do??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Re: Anyone else have trouble with IV site??

Yes! You sound like me. If I have a good IV start and it goes in on the first try, I usually don't have any problems. But if it takes more than one try, I guarantee I will be sore and bruised for at least two weeks later. I had my hysterectomy November 9 and it is slightly sore at the site. A week ago I ended up in the ER because the incision opened up and I got an IV for a blood draw and an abdominal CT scan. The EMT who did my IV had difficulty, although he did get it on the first stick, but my site is still sore and bruised.

I haven't done anything about the sites because that's just how I am. I bruise very easily and have very pale skin so bruises show more than they might if I had a little color.
Unread 11-24-2009, 07:21 PM

I have never had trouble with an IV site before and had them 5 times before with other surgeries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2009, 07:29 PM

Hi Heidi- I too had a very sore IV site, so much so that they changed the hand I had it in in the recovery room because they sd I was complaining of pain (I do not remember any of that). My hand hurt and had a bump there for about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks post op. If anything touched it ....OUCH! In the check point area or when you go to the homepage for post op there is actually a spot about it so ck it out!
Heidi (also from WI)
Unread 11-24-2009, 09:07 PM

I had major IV problems, almost to the point where they wouldn't be able to do surgery. They got one in and then put in another one while I was asleep. The first one went bad a couple of days after surgery so they tried to use the second one and couldn't. So, they put in a 3rd and it was almost impossible.

I had pain in the IV area for weeks and it felt like I had a tube still stuck in there but it was just the swollen vein. It was so sore I couldn't lay my arm down anywhere that would cause it to touch anything. It eventually went away.

My nurse said it was OK as long as it wasn't overly bruised, red or too swollen.

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register