Scheduled TLH T-minus 7 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

T-minus 7 days T-minus 7 days

Unread 10-24-2011, 10:44 PM
T-minus 7 days

Had my pre-op appointment today and it went very well. I will be having a total laparoscopic hysterectomy with likely removal of my right ovary. He will also be taking down adhesions (this was just done in April as well) and at the end will be filling my belly with some solution (I don't remember the name-if anybody knows it please let me know! ) to try to prevent the growth of new adhesions. Insurance has approved the surgery. Now to clean (ha-this must be some sort of cruel joke with 3 little boys), try to keep caught up on homework, and just wait these last few days out. The first 3-4 weeks of waiting was easy, this is the hard part. My emotions are still all over the place, and honestly, I expect it to get worse before this is over with. I do wonder if it's normal to be so easily angered and frustrated as I've been the last couple days. Luckily, I don't have long to wait-I'm just so ready to be done! Thanks for listening-again LOL. So glad I have this place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Re: T-minus 7 days

I am down to 3 days, yes, cleaning. I have been cleaning like when your nesting, as if a health inspector is gonna walk in at any moment. Lol. I have 2 boys, 3 if you count my husband, hehe. Mine are 8yrs and 15 months. Spent a couple hours making baby food and freezing it, laundry dishes, carving pumpkins with my oldest. It if now 3:25am and I am no closer to sleep than I was at noon. Just when I think I am done I spot something else that just has to be done now before I forget and it drives me crazy when I am laid up. The things we do when we get anxious makes me laugh a little. Happy hysterectomy everyone.
Unread 10-25-2011, 12:34 PM

Down to 3 days also, not having pre-op tests until day B4, Thursday. Busy reading posts on Hyster Sisters. Wishing everyone a speedy recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM

I am due to have adominal total hysterecomy on halloween i have 3 girls all by c section 10,7,4 am only 27 am dreading it got my re op thursday
Unread 10-25-2011, 01:01 PM

I am also on the 7 day count down. I will be taking the 31st off to make sure my house is in order. The good thing is I dont have any small children mine are 16 and 20. The bad part is my husband is sick with a cold and acting like a 5 year old. I wish you all the luck, all the ladies good luck.
Unread 10-25-2011, 01:33 PM

Another pause for thought - read this on HS post - laparascopic surgeries are at increased risk for ureter damage. Make sure your doctor does a ureter dye screening before they close you up. I will be asking this question to my surgeon also.
Unread 10-25-2011, 01:37 PM

Ladybird>>> does that apply to davinci surgeries too???
Unread 10-26-2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the helpful advice. I do worry about damage to my other organs. In April I had a diagnostic lap done where the dr took down tremendous amounts of scar tissue and adhesions and found that my omentum was TOTALLY adhered to my abdominal wall that that my uterus and bladder are completely fused together. He tried to separate them and said that he stopped because he was concerned that he could punch a hole in my bladder. I meant to ask him at pre-op but will be asking before surgery how he plans on getting them apart without damaging my bladder. He estimates that this is going to take 3-4 hours so I think he plans on taking lots of time! I told him to get plenty of rest the night before (Halloween!). Good luck to all you ladies with trips to the castle coming up. Best wishes on an easy recovery!
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Hi,
I had a TLH on September 29 and it a lot easier than I expected. There was very little pain afterwards, no huge swelling, and I was home the next day (without needing to take the heavy duty narcotics - just took Tylenol). I only had three small incisions in total and was up and walking about right away.

Honestly, it was a breeze compared to the appendectomy I had six years ago. TLH is the way to go in my opinion so don't be afraid.

My only real piece of advice - don't go back to a regular diet right away. Try to stick to soups and light meals (salads, etc) for a couple of weeks so everything inside has a chance to get working properly again. You don't want to become constipated (believe me, you don't). With a TLH sometimes you might forget that there is still a lot of stitches and healing to do inside even if the outside looks fine.

Good luck with your surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:29 PM

Thanks Colleen!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register