LAVH Post hysterectomy depression and brain fog? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post hysterectomy depression and brain fog? Post hysterectomy depression and brain fog?

Unread 04-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Post hysterectomy depression and brain fog?

So before I had my surgery everyone was trying to scare me with this "you'll regret not being able to have children/the sadness will surprise you" stuff. I've found this to be completely untrue in my case. I had a prophylactic hysterectomy (partial, so I still have ovaries) and I feel the same about kids now as I did before: don't have and don't want.

However, I have found that I am still having a struggle with depression and I can't quite put my finger on it. I believe part of it is that I am just not in a good place in life and I need to recover more, since I'm not even three weeks out yet. I feel like everyone is making demands of me. I don't think one day has gone by that has been completely peaceful. Every day someone wants something else, usually work related. I'm normally pretty good about staying on top of things and I would feel guilty telling people to back off...my recovery is not so much physical now as it is emotional. I don't want to tell people no because I "feel bad," but I feel TERRIBLE. Just fuzzy and bleh.

Is there anyone else who is dealing with this sort of general depression?

I am going to the doctor next week but I feel like crap. I just want to crawl in bed and ignore everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Re: Post-op depression and brain fog?

I completely feel your pain. For the first few weeks I was really depressed. I put it to the fact that I felt alone and no one understood what I was going through. I think part of it was because I am so independent but was unable to leave the house or do normal day to day activities. I am now 7 weeks post op and feel more alive. I hope you can pull through soon and I wish u the best. Just know your not alone and this page has helped me on a daily basis.
Unread 04-17-2014, 11:19 AM

I was suddenly very depressed weeks 1-4. Now that I'm almost 5 weeks, I'm still physically exhausted and frustrated, but not nearly as depressed as I was emotionally. I'm sure it will lift!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2014, 01:20 PM

I was feeling depressed and had brain fog at 5 weeks. I didn't want to go back to work and that caused the depression.(I don"t like my boss, another story here) I went back at 8 weeks.This all lifted around the 3rd week back as I got back to life.
Unread 04-17-2014, 01:26 PM
Re: Post hysterectomy depression and brain fog?

It could be hormone changes whether or not you kept your ovaries. Not having enough estrogen is notorious for causing feelings of depression and brain fog.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register