Very confused!!!! Please help!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very confused!!!! Please help!!! Very confused!!!! Please help!!!

Unread 02-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Very confused!!!! Please help!!!

I am 33 and my surgery and I will be having a TAH on 2/12/07. They will also be removing my right ovary as well (the only one I have left). I have a history of PCOD and they removed my left one in 2000. I have fibroids, ovarian cysts and DUB. My progesterone level has been zero for a year and a half now. My husband and I have always had a great relationship but over the last year my libido has dwindled until now it is completely non-existent. At first I thought maybe it was partly psychological due to the recurrent pain but even when I'm not in pain I still have no intrest and EXTREME difficulty with"O".
I have always had difficulty with birth control pills in the past: headaches, mood swings, etc. I know that when I do have my hysterectomy I want to try hormones to at least get my sex life back on track and get my energy level back but I don't know where to begin? What is the difference between the pills, patches, creams, and from what I have read the testosterone helps with libido and energy. Does it have any other benefits? What makes you choose one over the other? A lot of people talk about Vivelle. I know it sounds crazy but right now it's not the surgery itself that scares me but I think it's more the sudden menopause and the roller coaster ride to come afterwards. Is that normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2007, 10:01 AM

Glad you found this site before your surgery. I didn't find it until afterwards. I know the information here is great and should help you figure some things out.

Yes, it is normal to be concerned about the changes that are coming. I was telling my husband a few days ago that if I knew then what I know now, I'm not sure I would have had the surgery. It's always the "unknown" that dictates our choices. There will be changes . . . they may not be immediate or consistent, but with surgery, your chemistry changes. There are some great articles on this site to read (see menu on the left side of page) and all the book recommendations are excellent. My library had most of them and I've bought a couple that I continue to refer to.

Have you talked with your doctor about any of your questions yet? Sometimes, they will have a "set" standard of practice in dealing with HRT and no desire to deviate so with your current M.D., you might not have many choices. Or you could be one of the lucky ones!

Also, read through the many posts here and you will get a feel of what many women here prefer in delivery method or product. And what you will realize is that one size DOES NOT fit all! For most, it is a combination of products and delivery that bring the most relief of symptoms.

For me, I came out of surgery on the Vivelle patch but after a few months had a reaction to the adhesive and switched to oral estradiol. Over time I've realized this is one of the least expensive estrogen replacements so I'm trying to stick with it. I have used a 2 mg, a 1 mg and a 0.5 mg dosage, at different times. My doctor will not prescribe progesterone so I use an over-the-counter product. I added this after about a year on just estrogen, trying to get a balance with that. I also added a small amount of testosterone cream (my M.D. would prescribe) to help with energy and libido. And it does help.

Lots of information, so begin to wade your way through. Remember to keep a journal of all your symptoms with times of day, etc. This helps when it's time to change meds. You already sound way ahead of the game with your knowledge of progesterone (I had no idea about it until my hyster at age 49) and you found your way here! That's a great start. I'll be thinking of you on the 12th! Let us know how you're doing.

Annie
Unread 02-07-2007, 11:34 AM

(((als33))) Have you seen an endocrinologist about your hormone concerns? If you have a history of PCOS, you need to know that removing the ovaries will not cure PCOS, and one of the symptoms of PCOS is high androgen levels (ie testosterone). So testosterone replacement may not be an option for you - in fact, many ladies with PCOS end up taking spironolactone, an anti-androgen, to get their levels down to the normal range.

It could be that your estrogen levels are lower over the past year than they were in the past, and you don't have enough to balance the testosterone that you have. Perhaps replacing the lost estrogen after your upcoming surgery will improve things - but really, I would recommend working closely with an endocrinologist in your tricky hormone situation.

Good luck with your surgery!

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2007, 08:05 PM

Thanks for all of your help. No, I really did not know that PCOD would not be "cured" when they removed my ovaries. I know that that it is an endocrine issue but I have never been referred to one and as far as I can remember the one hormone levels that have ever been abnormal were my progesterone levels. Thanks so much, I was really gung-** for pressuring my MD for testosterone but I think now that it's something that I really need to talk to him in depth about. I was always just told to take BCP's and it would keep my cyst in check (which as you can see - it never did). I go for pre-op tomorrow am. I have a LOT to talk to him about. I did go to the library today and checked out numerous books on hormones/menopause, etc...of course I haven't had time to read any yet. Thanks to all of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register