Consultative appointment coming up on 3/3 - hysterectomy, leaving cerivx and one ovary (UPDATED - had D&C and ablation) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Consultative appointment coming up on 3/3 - hysterectomy, leaving cerivx and one ovary (UPDATED - had D&C and ablation) Consultative appointment coming up on 3/3 - hysterectomy, leaving cerivx and one ovary (UPDATED - had D&C and ablation)

Unread 02-23-2016, 12:15 PM
Consultative appointment coming up on 3/3 - hysterectomy, leaving cerivx and one ovary (UPDATED - had D&C and ablation)

Hi everyone! I am meeting with a surgeon on Thursday 3/3 to discuss options. It's sort of a 2nd opinion in that my long-time ob/gyn can't do the surgery as he does not do surgery at the hospital where I work (he only goes to the other hospital in town because he still delivers babies; my hospital doesn't do L&D). So, I'm seeing a second doctor who does do surgery in my hospital for (a) a 2nd opinion and (b) determine just what we are doing. My "real" gyno was leaning towards partial hysterectomy and was OK with taking only my right pain-in-the-side (literally) ovary, leaving my left one. AND he also planned to leave the cervix. I can't find anything on here with a similar situation. Has anyone else had uterus and one ovary taken out leaving the cervix and the other good ovary? Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2016, 07:37 PM
Re: Consultative appointment coming up on 3/3 (hysterectomy, leaving cerivx and one ovary - anyone else have this?)

Hi allyHM -

I am so glad you found this site. I know this is such an overwhelming experience, that is hard to know where to start. Your surgery is not that unusual (leaving cervix and one ovary), so hopefully someone with similar experience will see this post and respond.

What questions do you have? We will try to answer them for you. There are times it does not necessarily matter that the surgery be exactly identical for us to help.

Unread 02-23-2016, 08:03 PM
Re: Consultative appointment coming up on 3/3 (hysterectomy, leaving cerivx and one ovary - anyone else have this?)

Yes you found me
Uterus out roght ovary out due to pain
Left ovary will stay cervix will stay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2016, 07:20 AM

Thank you ladies for responding.

1373: glad to hear that it's not uncommon to leave cervix and one ovary. Sounds like you and have a similar issue. My right ovary is quite painful at times, both at "ovulation" (I don't really ovulate due to BC pills) and throughout my period.

marestail: It is a little overwhelming, yes. That's why I am seeking information before I even go to the consultation. I don't really know what questions to ask yet. In fact, I may not have any kind of hysterectomy at all. My clerk at work had the same issues as me (excessive bleeding, clotting, fibroids) and this same doctor that I am consulting with did a D&C and ablation for her just this past Monday. She's still out but should be back at work tomorrow. Maybe that's the route he'll take with me. But, she didn't have ovary pain, so....maybe not. I guess I'll know more after the appointment on 3/3. I'm sure he's just going to order labs and imaging on that day so he'll know the current state of affairs with my parts. And I'll have to go back for another appointment to determine what we're going to do.

Thanks again to both of you. I'll keep visiting the website and checking back here on this thread. Glad I found you guys.
Unread 02-24-2016, 06:59 PM

Hi allyHM -

Understood that this is all too new for you to ask questions.

To start getting your feet underneath you, you may want to read through our pre-op page. You may also want to read our hysterectomy information page.

We have a large library on fibroids that may interest you.

Just know you are not alone in this. We are here for you.

Unread 02-25-2016, 04:57 AM

Ally,
My right causes pain at ovulation as well it got worse as I have gotten older. I have been on and off pills for a long time.
I currently have an IUD and on birth control and still bleed and feel all of the symptoms.

The only reason why i am leaving left is because i don't want to kick into menopause. although that ovary does have some cysts on it once in a while, that pain actually doesn't get felt on my left side, only the right which is weird but it is what it is.
My right side is a pain and its got to go!

I was just told that i have a prolapse as well so i'll have hyster, keep cervix, keep one ovary and tack up the rest of my stuff lol
Unread 03-09-2016, 04:56 AM
Consultative appointment coming up on 3/3 - hysterectomy, leaving cerivx and one ovary (UPDATED - had D&C and ablation)

So I met with the doctor. He's leaning toward IUD or ablation rather than hysterectomy pending lab results and ultrasound. Labs have been drawn showing borderline anemia and FSH of 18.0. He said if FSH shows I am close to menopause then definitely no hysterectomy. Problem is, I can't figure out online if 18.0 means I'm close or not. I found where over 6 probably means not being able to get pregnant and a riduculously high number means in menopause but not what 18.0 meand. Anyone got an idea?
Unread 03-09-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyHM View Post
So I met with the doctor. He's leaning toward IUD or ablation rather than hysterectomy pending lab results and ultrasound. Labs have been drawn showing borderline anemia and FSH of 18.0. He said if FSH shows I am close to menopause then definitely no hysterectomy. Problem is, I can't figure out online if 18.0 means I'm close or not. I found where over 6 probably means not being able to get pregnant and a riduculously high number means in menopause but not what 18.0 meand. Anyone got an idea?
This is such a personal decision and it's good to know you have choices, isn't it? I do remember just saying to my Dr. "please just tell me what to do" but he said nope.....I am here to present you with your options. It's your body. Arg!!

When will you see the surgeon again?

My very close friend had the same exact situation as me - large fibroid with a enlarged uterus, no actual cancer concerns....healthy ovaries- and she decided on ablation whereas I decided on the hysterectomy. She was in the hospital a week before I was!

I'm not sure what the 18 means but that's a good question for the Dr.
We, along with my surgeon, decided to move forward with the hysterectomy because at 46 I was no where near menopause (I don't remember how that test came back but that's what he told me) PLUS he wanted to impress on me that fibroids can, and do, come back -particularly before menopause. He left it up to me, and I have no regrets. Also, being 46, babies were totally out of the question so that was not a factor....

My friend who had the ablation has made a comment or two wondering if she did the right thing. She was in the hospital for a few nights for pain management, where as I was released the same day with a small Vicoden prescription. She took a week off from work, and I took off 3.5 weeks (I could gone back a week earlier if I had to.)

There are pros and cons....I asked a ton of questions and read a lot on this site which was sooooo helpful!

Good luck with everything!
Unread 07-18-2016, 07:34 AM

UPDATE: I had the D&C and ablation on 4/25. I will say bleeding and pain are MINIMAL compared to prior. I bled minimally after the procedure and had stopped by the time I went to my follow up on 5/12. I was told I could have discharge up to 3 weeks. The hospital (I work for the hospital system, just not in the hospital) was GREAT in that it was an outpatient procedure, I was only out of work 3 days and they(recovery room nurse) even called me about a week later to see how I was doing, asked questions about pain, did I notice an odor, etc. After the bleeding from procedure stopped, I had no bleeding until....

6/6-6/8 very brief spotting in the morning, 3 days in a row
6/11 - spotting started again. Have bled minimally or spotted nearly every day since then with intermittent minor cramping (which usually signals full-on bleeding to follow, though as I said minimal compared to the excessive bleeding and clotting prior to the procedure). Oh, I also had a Depo-provera shot on 5/13 because I still need some form of birth control.

So....is it the Depo causing the bleeding/spotting every day? I am REALLY getting tired of having to wear a panty liner or pad every day and a tampon when I want to swim. I plan on calling the doctor today, but I just wondered if anyone else had a similar situation, if this is "normal", etc. Thanks!
Unread 07-18-2016, 07:26 PM

allyHM -

I really do not know if what you describe is normal. Do talk to your doctor to make sure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register