epidural and general Anthes. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

epidural and general Anthes. epidural and general Anthes.

Unread 02-21-2007, 09:21 AM
epidural and general Anthes.

Do you have both an epidural and general anethesia?
I have had epidurals before, and they worked great, but the initial poke in the spine is one poke I would prefer to never have again, anything with the spine just freaks me out. I am having a TAH. Also, I have heard alot of gals getting sick afterwards, do they automatically give you the zofran or do they wait until you get sick? I can't imagine having a 6-8 abdominal cut across your tummy and then having the pukes on top of that feels very good. Anyone get the shakes? I've been under a few times, but have never had a major organ taken out, so I am wondering how the body responds to that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2007, 10:53 AM

I have only had general anesthesia because my blood doesn't clot and the doctors are afraid I would have bleeding into the spine. I always get sick in the recovery room. After I had shoulder surgery, I had projectile vomiting. I told the nurse I was going to blow, and she said, "Oh, no, honey, we gave you a shot for that, You'll be fine." LOL I also get very cold and shake a lot. I'm going to ask for a patch that I have heard they can put behind your ear to help with the nausea.
Unread 02-21-2007, 11:21 AM

I can tell you Otter48 that that patch didn't do squat for me!! I had it put on before I went in for my tubal because I had a feeling I was going to get sick based on how my mom and dad both feel when they get out of anesthesia. It was first time under since my wisdom teeth but I figured this might be different than that. Sure enough, I dry heaved like crazy! I did not stop until I could finally get home and sleep it off. After my mom had her colonoscopy and got sick her general surgeon told her that they now have a treatment to stop that they start the day before your surgery so I am going to inquire about that. Not sure what it was though. If they can't guarantee me that I am not going to be sick as a dog then I'm going to opt for the spinal or epi if I'm even given a choice. Still haven't talked to the doc about that yet. I don't think you would get both an epi and general anesthesia though. It's a choice thing I believe. I mean, if they knock you out there's no need for an epi right? I do agree though, that poke in the back is something else. When I had my epi when having my daughter it sent electrical type shocks up my back several times. Not fun. My first one with my son wasn't nearly as bad as that. But I'd still rather put up with that than be pukey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2007, 02:16 PM

I had a TVH on Dec. 6 and had both general anethesia and spinal morphine (I don't know if that is the same as an epidural). They numbed the area where they poked in the spine, so I really didn't feel it and when I woke up, I didn't feel any pain for 48 hours afterwards.

I wished I would have been told about the spinal a few weeks before not minutes before the surgery. I like to be informed and it kind of threw me for a loop, however, turned out to be the best choice for me.

Kitten
Unread 02-21-2007, 03:55 PM

i just had general...no epi. i doubt i'd ever let anyone stick something in my spine cause i'm weird about stuff like that. spines. needles. yeck.

i told the O.R. nurse that i get sick when i wake up and she told the sandman ha! and he gave me something for it. whatever he gave me worked because i didn't puke at all....till i tried to eat solid food. i had surgery on friday and just didn't eat till sunday at lunch.
Unread 02-21-2007, 04:39 PM

I had a general too! My Doctor suggested a spinal, but I soooo did not want to wake up during the surgery. He said they would give me something to make me 'loopy' but couldn't assure me that I wouldn't wake up during the surgery and most certaintly did not want that. I did fine on the general..aside of the goofy comments I made to DH while still in recovery.
Unread 02-21-2007, 05:43 PM

This is the part of the operation that really worries me. I have had general anesthesia twice in my life. 20 plus years ago when I had my wisdom teeth out, and 3 years ago when I had my eye operated on. Both times when I woke up I felt ok, I didn't feel sick. Though I did feel very cold when I woke up from having my wisdom teeth out. Other than that, I have never had any major organs taken out.

I'm going in for a TAH BSO. The last thing I want or need, like everyone else here, is to wake up sick or throwing up. I figure I'm going to feel crappy enough. Who do I talk to at the hospital about this, and does what they give you actually work? I know I'm not going to feel like eating for a few days, but I just don't want to feel sick to my stomach. I've had stomach problems all my life and if this is one less problem I can avoid, I'll be grateful. I don't want to wake up in recovery throwing up. Sorry for being so graphic. Another thing is, when I feel sick to my stomach it sets off panic attacks. Usually the anxiety is under control, but when I feel an upset stomach or dry heaves coming, the old anxiety comes back. Thanks for any help.

P.S. I couldn't find the icon for the castle or the one that throws up. Can someone please tell me where they are? I clicked under More under the Smilies, but couldn't find them. Thanks.
Unread 02-22-2007, 05:08 AM

Had a TAH with an epidural topped up with general anaesthesia on 8th Feb. The epidural gave me no problems at all and I was less drowsy than if I had a general anaesthetic. I could have had the epidural plus some sedation but I chose not to this. Most if not all pain meds make me very very sick and unfortunately this time was no excption. The morphine made me sick so I was anti sickness drugs through the iv. When I came off the pump the oycontin made me me sick. Any drugs that have codeine in them or nsaids make me very sick. If I have to have surgery again I would be looking at alternatives. I did'nt look at the needle going in for the epidural and turned away or shut my eyes when they put the ivs in. I hope that sharing experiences is of help to you. Best wishes with your surgery.
Unread 02-22-2007, 05:35 AM

As far as I know I've never taken anything with codeine in it, so I don't know if it makes me sick or not. I know that taking pain pills on an empty stomach can make you feel sick, but if you're not feeling good the last thing you want to do is eat. My dr. just recently told me that whenever I take motrin, make sure I take it on a full stomach because it can ruin your stomach linng if taken without food. No wonder I have stomach problems. All these years I've always taken it on an empty stomach. I have taken prescription pain meds before and they didn't seem to bother me. Whether they had codeine in them or not, I don't know.

When my aunt had her hyst I was up at the hospital just as they were putting her in her room. The nurse gave her a pain piill. Shortly after that she got really sick to her stomach. Depending on how bad the pain is, I'd rather put up with that than take something that is going to make me sick. A friend of mine had a hyst about 10 plus years ago and she knew in advance that when she woke up in recovery she would be sick, so they put something in her IV and then she was fine. I think they do use epidurals here in the US, but not if they are taking everyting out. With that they just put you under. It's bad enough waking up in recovery feeling like a truck ran other you without having to feel sick too.

Thank you for the best wishes on the surgery. I'll be glad when it's only a distant memory.
Unread 02-22-2007, 05:47 AM

i think that I was offered the epidural because I'm on other meds. I was given anti nausea drugs through the iv but I was still sick. Maybe I'm the exception to the rule. The morphine made me sick as did the oxycontin given with other anti nausea drugs both orally and in my thigh after a particularily bad bout of vomiting. Fortunately it did'nt last too long and I was able to go home with paracetamol. I'm sure I was less sick with the epidural and needed less morphine initially post op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register