What do you wear after the surgery?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do you wear after the surgery?? What do you wear after the surgery??

Unread 09-01-2001, 02:34 AM
What do you wear after the surgery??

Just wondering what the heck you can wear comfortably after surgery. I will probably have to get a few things and wanted to check for any advice on this before I went out. Surgery still some ways off but like to get started getting everything done. Work, four kids, hubby, schools started, house to clean. Just so much I already keep up with that I want to do things as I can. ANd as the date gets nearer it won't seem enough time. Working right up till the day almost. So any suggestions from you wonderful ladies is much appreciated. Hope all are well and that all recent surgeries have gone well and everyone is resting and feeling better. Will be around.
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2001, 03:42 AM
hi julie,

well i am a bluejean queen, thats all i wear except white uniform for work. this was a big thing for me but i went and bought two dresses just a little to big around my waist, i also wanted them down to my ankles so i would not have to worry about how i sat down, this way i had nothing on my belly except my big blomer undies there was mixed reaction from family and friends (jean queen) but after i said comfort right know doesnt even sound like my favorite jeans, they understood Sandy
Unread 09-01-2001, 05:31 AM

I am the queen of draw string pajama pants. You can come to my house on almost any given day at any given time and I will have them on. I have loved them for years. I have quite a collection. They came in very handy when I had my TAH in March. I'm not sure where all you can get them at. I usually buy mine either at Old Navy or in the Victoria's Secret catalog. They are just right because they are comfortable AND the draw string allows you to loosen them up for the swelly belly. Good luck to you!

Chrissy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2001, 06:52 AM

Julia,
I bought some overall jeans to wear when I wanted jeans but did not want something tight around my middle. Generally I stayed in my jammies for the first two weeks so I just bought roomy pajamas. I am not into nightgowns so the jammies were my attire for the first two weeks. Treat yourself to some nice ones and perhaps a new light robe to wear over them. I also like just the drawstring cotton bottoms with a T shirt and if it gets cool you can also add a sweatshirt...it is kinda a nice in between jammies and street clothes. I have found that the mens drawstring pants are nice because they give you a little more room around the middle plus they are cheaper
best wishes to you with your surgery
Love
Becky in OHIO
Unread 09-01-2001, 11:27 PM

I didn't have any swelly-belly, but the scar was tender. I wore oversized t-shirt type nightgowns and drawstring pants.
Unread 09-02-2001, 04:53 AM
Clothing

Hi, Julie

I wore the same clothes to go to hospital as I wanted to wear to come home - a major psychological advantage! I wore trousers (pants to americans - lol) which were stretchy, with an elasticated waist, with a longish, linen shirt over the top, which I felt good in at any time. For staying at home, I've worn pyjamas with elasticated shorts, loose tops and t-shirts, or loose dresses.

You'll probably find that you can wear normal clothing so long as it doesn't restrict you. One tip I can definately offer is to buy some knickers (underpants) in a size bigger than usual. You will be wearing them 24/7 whilst having to wear sanitary protection due to discharge after the op, and they NEED to be comfortable! The bigger, the better and pure cotton too.

Julie F
Unread 09-02-2001, 05:25 AM

Oh, that's a good idea too -- I wore a floppy one size dress to the hospital and wore it home again.
Unread 09-02-2001, 05:30 PM

Hi Julie

As the others mentionned, I wore really loose, comfortable clothing. In fact, whenever I was home, I wore pyjamas: it was psychological - helped reinforce the fact that I was recovering to my family, if you know what I mean

I brought those extra large panties to the castle, by my swelly belly was smaller that my pre-op, fibroid-filled belly, so... they were so loose, they uncomfortable.

Since I had my surgery in the Winter, I wore pants: nylons and jeans were the two clothing items that remain uncomfortable until about the 12th/14th week post-op. However, if the weather is warm enough when you have your hyst, baggy dresses sound like a wonderful option.

For the castle, I brought knee-length nightgowns: meant I didn't have to bend to put on pyjama pants, and I wasn't afraid on tripping on long nightgowns.

I think that, whatever the best clothing turns out to be for you, the key word here is: comfort.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register