Pre-op biopsy? Why is it necessary? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op biopsy?  Why is it necessary? Pre-op biopsy? Why is it necessary?

Unread 03-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Pre-op biopsy? Why is it necessary?

Shelia, I hope you get answers. I think it is odd for your main gyn. to send you over there and not tell you exactly why. More than odd, I think it is mean and cruel.

My CA-125 is slightly elevated and I have a white nodule on my very enlarged ovary. They are not doing a biopsy and I wondered why. I now realize it is because of the location of my ovary. They will have to take my uterus out just to get to it. I will have one of the best gyn onc. surgeons assist my gyn. in the surgery and she will do everything that needs to be done if the section comes back as cancer. To my knowledge, they can do a frozen section (at least that is what it used to be called) while they are in there during the surgery. They told me if it was not cancer, they would proceed with a normal hyst. If it was cancer, she would then take out the omentum, the lymph nodes and take tissue samples from all around my abdominal area, and examine all my other organs for signs of cancer. The final path will take about a week to get back in my case. I have heard anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to a month on path reports. I guess it depends on what they are looking for and where it has to be sent. In my case she said it would go before a tumor board and 12 or more Drs. would review my case. It would take about a week for the process. Too long to wait for me, but she assured me I would rather wait and have a full diagnoses than hear multiple answers.

It's all very scary to me but I try every moment to focus on the positive. I'm glad I didn't have a biopsy so I didn't have 1 more thing to worry about. I am just getting ready and hoping this is just a routine hyst, all my paths will be clear and I can go on about my life. I pray the same is the case for you too.

Sandra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register